Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Shaving Thread
The Shaving Thread
2007-11-12, 11:53 PM #1
We haven't had one of these in awhile, IIRC.

What tools & methods do you use to shave?

Personally, I've always used a blade for my entire adult life. Machines are good for getting the thick hair removed quickly, (for example, removing a beard is much easier with scissors and a machine) but for a nice smooth close shave I've never seen a machine that can do what a decent blade can. However, I have been known to use a machine in some instances, so I can't claim blade exclusivity.

If I have coarse growth, I remove it with the machine first and then finish up with a blade; I use Mach 3 (original one) -- I got several huge boxes of blades at costco a few years ago and I'm still going through them with plenty left over. Since I shave every other day, each blade stays sharp enough to last me at least a month. I always shave against the grain.

[edit] would someone mind fixing the typo in the thread title if they are able to do so? thanks! (it should be Thread, not hread)
2007-11-13, 12:02 AM #2
Blade with AND against.

Depends where on my beautiful face. :P
2007-11-13, 12:05 AM #3
I use a machine sometimes. My electric razor gets closer than most cartridge razors with less hassle in some situations.

I generally shave with the grain once, and then against to get closer. I have wanted to try using a straight razor and classic cream for some time though.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-13, 12:06 AM #4
I have a magical Mach 3 blade which is yet to go blunt after two and a half years of shaving with it. Having very fine whiskers probably helps, but in all seriousness the blade still works fine after 30 odds months of use.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-11-13, 12:09 AM #5
Machine. Though I've used a blade a few times, but I didn't end up considering it worth the effort.

And generally speaking my beard growth is so poor they would have probably beheaded me in Taliban Afghanistan...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-11-13, 12:11 AM #6
Originally posted by Spook:
I have wanted to try using a straight razor and classic cream for some time though.

I've never used a straight razor, (not sure I'd want to, since I have zero experience with it and would likely gouge myself on the first try like I did with a blade my first time) For me, shaving cream (the foamy kind) always causes some sort of allergic reaction that itches like you won't believe, so I've been using bar soap lather for years and it works great.

Nothing beats shaving and cleaning your face at the same time. :awesome:
2007-11-13, 12:12 AM #7
I can't grow a beard, so it doesn't matter
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-11-13, 12:14 AM #8
Originally posted by Spork:
I have a magical Mach 3 blade which is yet to go blunt after two and a half years of shaving with it. Having very fine whiskers probably helps, but in all seriousness the blade still works fine after 30 odds months of use.

I've had those. Gillette makes decent blades most of the time.

I rinse my blades with cold water before and after use, with the logic that since heat makes metal temporarily expand, cold must do the opposite. (temporarily sharpen it through contraction) True or not, it seems to help.
2007-11-13, 12:16 AM #9
I use a mach 3 turbo. I shave with the grain generally, though sometimes against. I use hot water only. No soaps. I hardly shave now though, just a little bit to keep the neckbeard away. Full beard is so much easier to maintain. Looks better to for me.

o.0
2007-11-13, 12:18 AM #10
Originally posted by sugarless5:
I can't grow a beard, so it doesn't matter

Hey I know some girls who think that just because they are blonde, they can get away with the peach fuzz.

Ladies, shave your faces if you have peach fuzz.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-13, 12:25 AM #11
I use a mustache trimmer without the guard most of the time (leaving just stubble), and a blade with the grain otherwise.

I used to shave against the grain, but even in the shower with hair warm and soft and a good shaving cream for sensitive skin, it's still awful. It's fairly close with a good razor, but a good electric against the grain is actually closer.

Electrics really need a pre-shave balm in order to be most effective.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-13, 12:25 AM #12
Originally posted by Spook:
Ladies, shave your faces if you have peach fuzz.

Ugh no, then you end up with stubble and that is far worse than fuzz. Waxing is kind of necessary here. Or I suppose you could use Nair even though they say not to on the face.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-13, 1:09 AM #13
peach fuzz doesn't bug me at all.. its just a bit of hair thats soft and hard to see.

o.0
2007-11-13, 1:12 AM #14
I used a machine throughout high school, but then the blades got dull, and Remington stopped making replacements (I couldn't find any at WalMart or Target at least). Been using a regular Mach 3 since, with Gilette Gel shaving cream, with and against the grain, depending on where it is on my face.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-11-13, 1:22 AM #15
Blade. Against the grain. Dry.

Because I'm a man.
2007-11-13, 1:27 AM #16
Machine. I'd prefer lasers, though.

Quote:
peach fuzz doesn't bug me at all.. its just a bit of hair thats soft and hard to see.

Man, even natural hair growth on women is bad. Geez, kids these days with their hard-to-see-isms!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-11-13, 1:31 AM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Because I'm a man.

I've done dry before(didn't have a bathroom sink at the time), but it was annoying because the hair jammed up the razor. Eventually had to keep rinsing it out using the shower.

o.0
2007-11-13, 1:31 AM #18
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Machine. I'd prefer lasers, though.

Man, even natural hair growth on women is bad. Geez, kids these days with their hard-to-see-isms!

I'd hate to see a woman with unnatural hair growth. D:

o.0
2007-11-13, 4:09 AM #19
Blade and warm water, with the grain and then against the grain for a close shave.
2007-11-13, 4:17 AM #20
I use a blade with cream. Then afterwards, I let the cat lick it off.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-11-13, 7:35 AM #21
Originally posted by Emon:
Electrics really need a pre-shave balm in order to be most effective.

This man speaks truth.

I use electric mostly because the times I did use razors, I ended up with a hacked up face. Yes I'm that pathetic.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-13, 7:44 AM #22
Originally posted by Recusant:
Blade and warm water, with the grain and then against the grain for a close shave.

Same.
woot!
2007-11-13, 7:47 AM #23
Machine only. Shaving cream makes my baby-sensitive skin freak out, plus, machine is faster, even though it doesn't get as close.
The lighting in my bathroom is horrible anyway, so I always get a crappy shave.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-13, 7:49 AM #24
Depends on what I'm shaving.
:ninja:
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-11-13, 8:32 AM #25
my answer depends on the time of year. i shave twice a year. so when i shave a uses a machine to get the long hair off, then with a blade with the grain. if i shave against the grain the first time i shave after beardage, razorburn city.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-11-13, 9:18 AM #26
Electric Razor. Though right now I've been trying to let my face pubes grow out. :master:
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-11-13, 9:36 AM #27
Blade, both with and against the blade, but I voted with because it's losing. :P

I've got one of those super-duper Gillette Fusion Power doodads. Awesomeness.
nope.
2007-11-13, 10:47 AM #28
I usually only trim with a beard trimmer, but I have a electric razor and a five blade when I need to be clean shaven.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-13, 10:56 AM #29
I use a beard trimmer at the moment, but when I go for a close shave I use a Gillette Fusion With/Against grain and using shaving oil.

Oil is by far the best way to go.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-11-13, 11:13 AM #30
I'm an electric razor kind of guy as I'm simply far too lazy to bother with anything else. Plus I don't shave but once a week or every two weeks, sometimes.
2007-11-13, 12:46 PM #31
Originally posted by Martyn:
Blade with AND against.

Depends where on my beautiful face. :P

ME TOO

Though at the moment I'm letting it grow a fair amount because I messed up my goatee.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2007-11-13, 3:09 PM #32
Sometimes I get asked if I shaved with one of these: [http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/973/90006784.JPG]

"You shave this morning?" "Uh... Sure" "With what? A Rock?"
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-11-13, 3:18 PM #33
I use a mac 3 with the grain first time and then repeat against the grain.
Take that there and put it in here
2007-11-13, 3:22 PM #34
Trimmer for goatee, blade for neck and cheeks. No soap, warm water, usually against the grain. The only reason I stopped using soap is I'm cheap and I discovered I could get along fine without it.
2007-11-13, 3:26 PM #35
I can't grow a beard right now, so I don't have to worry about it.

Maybe in a few years.
Back again
2007-11-13, 3:48 PM #36
I take a 40oz, smash it against the cabinet, and use the alcohol as shaving cream, and the broken glass as a razor.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-13, 5:18 PM #37
I don't have a problem with facial hair, you know, cause I'm a girl. And that goes for peach fuzz too.

But I do use a Gillette Fusion for my legs though. You guys have some awesome razors. :P
KABOOM YO!
2007-11-13, 5:45 PM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Because I'm a man.

Men grow beards
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-13, 6:13 PM #39
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Men grow beards

\o/

o.0
2007-11-13, 6:14 PM #40
Warm water and blade. With and against the grain. I hate having facial hair, and doing this every day is the only way to keep it under control. If I let it grow out I have a full beard in just a few days.
Life is beautiful.

↑ Up to the top!