Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Open Source/free CBT
Open Source/free CBT
2007-11-13, 8:28 PM #1
I'm tired of this mountain of paperwork we have to do on every new hire we have.

We have this month long training program ****, and there an activity sheet for every day.

Both packets (an inside sort and ramp packet) are about 50 pages a piece, each with a signature on it. It's a ****ing waste of time, paper, and effort.

So what I have two options;

The work station I use has ActivePerl installed and running on it. I'm going to assume that means I can run Perl scripts.

Is there a Computer Based Training dealy, free, available in open source that I can easily customize the content for? (Like 5 questions a day, or something would be cool) It needs to have some sort of a verification of identity system. Which would be the equivelant of a signature, which could be as simple as using our employee ID numbers.

OR is there a way I can get like access or excel to complete half a dozen forms for me based upon a little input? Like todays date (It would also put future dates in where applicable as they appear in the program), employee name, employee ID, Trainer, Trainer ID, etc and it'd like auto-mc-do all those parts of the forms? (they aren't all .doc files, we have a few PDFs)

Basically, it has to be free. They aren't going to pay me to learn Perl and invent this crap myself. They aren't going to pay a neckbeard to sit and develop a program for us.

(I'm also probably going to try and teach myself perl on my downtime, since all the documentation is there on the machine and I have alot of downtime to kill)
2007-11-13, 8:44 PM #2
If they aren't paying you for it, don't waste your time. They're using you and laughing behind closed doors.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-13, 9:37 PM #3
:/

Well, you see everything I do does count towards future employment with the company.

They have another program I'm interested in, where they hire you after school as an airplane mechanic with NO EXPERIENCE on a slower pay scale than the normal mechanics. Normally it takes something like 10 years worth of experience elsewhere doing **** jobs to get a job at UPS as a mechanic. Where as with this program you can rotate in as a "Junior Mechanic" and have a slightly ****ty job (starts $17.50/hr if I'm not mistaken) and work your seniority up and get into a cake job like our mechanic has.

I'll put it to you this way, our mechanic gets paid for 40 hours a week, works maybe an hour, hour and a half max a night from 6:30pm-11:00-30pmish, and makes like $35-45 an hour. They don't make overtime, they make DOUBLE TIME.

Gives me all the time I want during the day to go to school and learn whatever I please and pay for it pretty easily. Which really.. is all I want to do.

Besides, **** LIKE THIS LOOKS GOOD ON MY RESUME.
2007-11-13, 9:47 PM #4
I don't get why people take crap jobs to work up to doing what they want. Theres an easier way. You just do what you want from the start.

o.0
2007-11-13, 9:51 PM #5
Originally posted by Greenboy:
I don't get why people take crap jobs to work up to doing what they want. Theres an easier way. You just do what you want from the start.

I want to be king of the world. Sure, I am grossly underqualified but I want to do it and I refuse to put in the time doing that pesky conquering and diplomacy crap. Gimmie!
2007-11-13, 9:52 PM #6

You got to start somewhere. Not like you'll be CEO in one day.
Back again
2007-11-13, 9:52 PM #7

People don't pay you to do something unless they're halfway confident that you are in fact capable of doing it.
2007-11-13, 9:54 PM #8
Originally posted by Jon`C:
People don't pay you to do something

You'll notice greenboy said nothing about getting paid. Sorry if you want to do something only because it gives you money. That's not true of everyone. And who cares what other people think you're capable of? Just do what you want! As long as you don't involve anyone else's expectations to an unfair degree, I don't see the problem. If you fail, at least you learned something and now you're a lot more capable.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-13, 9:54 PM #9

Oh yeah, haven't you heard of "waitress/waiter to actress/actor?"
Back again
2007-11-13, 10:06 PM #10
Heres an example. I was going to go to school next year to learn how to build boats. It would have cost $14,000. Instead, I decided I'd try a different approach. I'm building a boat, and I found a guy willing to help me out. Heres what he requires as payment: I have to use the boat. Thats it. I'm seeking out grants for the money necessary for construction.

If you WANT to do something, you shouldn't let money get in the way.

o.0
2007-11-13, 10:23 PM #11
Heres an example. I was going to go to school next year to learn how to build boats. It would have cost $14,000. Instead, I decided I'd try a different approach. I'm building a boat, and I found a guy willing to help me out. Heres what he requires as payment: I have to use the boat. Thats it. I'm seeking out grants for the money necessary for construction.

Well, duh, but this is for a job and better pay, which a variable amount of people would want.
Back again
2007-11-13, 10:33 PM #12
But why take a job you don't like? Why throw away years of life?

o.0
2007-11-13, 10:39 PM #13
Everyone has to eat... And also a lot of more basic jobs still give you decent work experience in loads of different areas, communication skills, telephone experience, etc etc. If you can show you will work hard in a fairly mundane job, chances are you'll put as much effort in to your 'dream' job.
/fluffle
2007-11-13, 10:45 PM #14

Um yeah. See, Rob is doing the same thing with in the company. Instead of going to school and spending an *** load of money, he's setting himself up for an in house apprenticeship program, if you will.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-13, 10:53 PM #15
he's getting paid to learn. now thats cool.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-11-13, 11:31 PM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:
You'll notice greenboy said nothing about getting paid. Sorry if you want to do something only because it gives you money.

Yeah, see, I know this concept might be confusing to a lot of you because you're special, but it costs money to live. You - yes, you - will some day have to do something you really don't like in order to pay the bills.
2007-11-13, 11:43 PM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
it costs money to live.

that's exactly what they want you to think. If you really want to rule the world someday you need to keep up with the mass control techniques.
2007-11-13, 11:47 PM #18
Well, one of my goals in life is to make it NOT cost money to live. I want to be selfsustaining. Own my land, and live off it. Grow my own food and whatnot. It'll serve me well when the next world war starts.

o.0
2007-11-14, 12:09 AM #19
Yeah, see that's not entirely possible, but I wish you luck with that.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-14, 12:11 AM #20
How is it not possible? I think you're full of it.
2007-11-14, 12:19 AM #21
Its possible.. just really hard. The world is not currently set up in favor of independent living.

Theres a farm on Orcas Island, up here in washington, dedicated to self sustaining living.

o.0
2007-11-14, 3:56 AM #22
Quote:
Well, one of my goals in life is to make it NOT cost money to live. I want to be selfsustaining. Own my land, and live off it. Grow my own food and whatnot. It'll serve me well when the next world war starts.

this is my retirement plan.
Quote:
Yeah, see that's not entirely possible, but I wish you luck with that.

it isn't really but you can keep it to an extreme minimum.

so, my plan, i'll be out of debt completely by the end of '08. hopefully i'll be able to keep it that way. i don't know about the US but here in canada we have a lot of crown land. like i mean lots. to put it in perspective, we have a slightly larger land mass than the US and 1/10 the population. there's lot's of open space.
you know those prefab sheds at home depot, the big ones with window and flower pots outside the windows? i'm going to buy 2 of those and drag them up north to some crown land. plop them down, start a garden, trap some rabbits, shoot some deer, and live the good life.
i'll have an atv and a snow mobile. i'll need gas and canned food. i'll have a windmill and a few batteries.

see. a nice little spot on the french river between lake nippising and georgian bay.
[http://inthewordsof.com/images/frenchriver.jpg]

not far from sudbury and a few little communities in between.
[http://inthewordsof.com/images/sudbury.jpg]

as long as you're willing to actually 'camp out' for the rest of your life you can easily do it.
**** the banks! **** the investment firms! **** the ads and society telling us we have to mire ourselves in debt and give our money to billion dollar corporations so that they can give us 6%/annum so that we can retire comfortably. **** them! **** them all!! i ****ing hate them and the ****ing crap they've made all us sheep believe by setting us up in this debt ridden lifestyle keeping us on a short leash made of dollar signs. **** them! i'm going fishing every day. i'll roll in and out of town to buy gas and canned food. i don't need rsp's to retire. i need a few thousand dollars and they ****ing hate that. i'm dropping everything i'm doing when i'm 50 or 55 and saying "**** this! i don't need this ****ing crap anymore! i'm going to live the good life."

you can do it too. if there's nowhere to find in the US you're more than welcome to come squat in canada with us. :) there's lots of room. just stay at least 2 or 3km away from me.
2007-11-14, 5:40 AM #23

Because not everyone knows what they want to do.

And everything isn't as easy as building a bunch of retarded wood boats.
2007-11-14, 5:41 AM #24

You pay taxes on land douche.
2007-11-14, 6:37 AM #25

Ah, the naivity of someone who has obviously never worked on a farm.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-14, 9:53 AM #26
Originally posted by Darth Evad:
in canada we have a lot of crown land. like i mean lots.

As soon as they:

1.) Find out you've been squatting on crown land, and
2.) As a consequence have not been paying property tax,

you'll be going to jail.
2007-11-14, 10:13 AM #27
Originally posted by Rob:
You pay taxes on land douche.

Winner.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-14, 10:13 AM #28
Open source Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?
:master::master::master:
2007-11-14, 10:15 AM #29
a friend of mine squatted on crown land just outside the city limits of dawson for 7 years. he lived in a converted army surplus kitchen tent. he crapped in a bucket and had no shower. he worked at a machine shop making and repairing mining equipment where he earned ~$65k/yr.
even though the 'neighbour' called the authorities on him several times they flat out didn't care. he was within view of his 'neighbour' who bought land and built a retirement home up north to get away from it all.

there's very little chance that anyone cares if i'm squatting on crown land that's worth 3 or 4 bucks an acre and the taxes might be $100/yr. they'd have to find out about it first. there are vast tracts of land in our country where people only pass by once or twice a year.
i was fishing at curly lake just outside of algonqiun this past summer and the summer before. the algonquin guide told me there might be no one at that lake for 3 or 4 months at a time. it was only 6km through bush to get there.
no one cares. :/
2007-11-14, 10:28 AM #30
Well, it does take some money for taxs and whatnot. I accept that. I guess what I'm getting at, is that I want to live a very basic life. Not much in the way of costs. I don't want to work a normal job, I want to be self employed basically. It does take money to live. It just doesn't take anywhere near what most people think is necessary for a good life.

o.0
2007-11-14, 12:00 PM #31
Then go homeless and wander the streets.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-11-14, 12:05 PM #32
Originally posted by Freelancer:
And who cares what other people think you're capable of? Just do what you want! As long as you don't involve anyone else's expectations to an unfair degree, I don't see the problem. If you fail, at least you learned something and now you're a lot more capable.

Yes. I'll take this in mind when I'm trying to be an architect. No need to for regulations and building codes and studying materials, I'll just do what I want.
2007-11-14, 12:38 PM #33
People got by just fine for a long time without building codes. If I build something, and an earthquake knocks it down, I'll just accept that, and build a new one. Seriously, people these days are becoming total pansies. Too many regulations and laws to make life organized. If I want a house I should be able to chop down a few trees on my property, and build it. To hell with rules and regulations. I should be able to live in whatever I want. Its my life.

o.0
2007-11-14, 1:13 PM #34
:downswords:

I guess, taking your words, doctors should do what they want. No need to follow any rules of practice or take in any account of developments in the medical fields. Or engineers should just do what they please and design s*** that looks nice. And when it falls apart, maybe even killing someone, they can just brush it off. This can go for any other profession.

And building a house isn't as easy as building a wooden little boat.
2007-11-14, 1:44 PM #35
If they're doing it for themselves, sure. Why not?

A house is just a space you live in. Its not exactly rocket science. I'd be happy enough in a small cabin. I don't need a brand new plastic McMansion.
And another point, this boat I'm building is going to be a risk. My life will depend on it. So I'll do a good job. Simple as that.
Coincidently, wooden boats are known to be one of the most difficult types of woodworking. As opposed to houses, which are one of the simplest forms of carpentry.. Just a big box. Don't need a special degree to design a box. Also, boats are built by skilled craftsmen. Houses? Meximinions mostly. Grunt labor.

o.0
2007-11-14, 1:59 PM #36
Sure, if you are building your own house in the middle of f**king nowhere, sure. Out of the range of any other houses and out of society, sure go ahead. You can make a house out of a cardbox box, whoopie do. People don't go into architecture, or any other engineering field, to just build sh*t for yourself.

Buildings fall down. Buildings that fall down sometimes kill people. Sometime they catch fire and kill people. Remember that houses are not just made of wood, genius. That's the most retarded assumption ever. It is an interaction of many components. It is an interaction of many loads and forces. It is also an interaction of design with the demands of everyday life. You need a foundation for that house? You can't just throw together wood and go "hurr, foundaztion!" You need to find out the f**king soil type. You need to find out the f**king amount of load so your foundation can facilitate that. You need to figure what makes up that foundation material-wise, how deep does it go etc. So and so on. I'm not studying this field to be a godamn carpenter. In fact, I'm not even planning to make a house when I get my degree (years later.)

I hope to god you make that cabin of yours far away from where I live. And anyone else's house.

Now that we are making great generalizations about each other's lives, maybe I'll make more generalizations on boat building: It's a f**king boat. Made of wood. It needs to float. What's more to it.
2007-11-14, 2:05 PM #37
Thats all well and good, but what about the countless people that built houses without any special degree? A good deal of it is simple common sense. And don't worry, I'll be out in the woods, a good distance from other people. I'm not saying architecture doesn't have its place.. Simply that its not required for someone trying to live a simple life.

o.0
2007-11-14, 2:07 PM #38
And boat building will help you reach a simple life? I sure as hell don't think so. Unless you are selling the boats.
2007-11-14, 2:09 PM #39
I'm picking up boatbuilding so I can build myself boats. Water is a huge part of my life, and I can't afford to buy someone elses boat. But I can build one for myself easily. Perhaps I'll sell them as a way to make money to live off of, I don't know that yet. Anyway, this argument is silly.

o.0
2007-11-14, 2:14 PM #40
Well, I'll say this: it doesn't seem you gave much thought to this free-from-society self-supportive future life.

↑ Up to the top!