Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dark Forces II stuff
Dark Forces II stuff
2007-11-15, 9:45 AM #1
Alright. I feel the urge for a classic game fix, so I reinstalled JK.

Someone give me a list of stuff I NEED to install to bring it up to date. I'm searching back through the news, but this was honestly easier to keep up with way back when.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 10:02 AM #2
Just go download some levels, if they need anything special, it usually says so in the description.
2007-11-15, 10:03 AM #3
First step:

1) http://www.jkhub.net

2) JK Launcher - ZeqMacaw (Used to run your mods and find other games and stuff).

3) Jedi Knight Enhanced - Shred18 (This basically updates all of the Character models, weapon models, and powerups to look about 5x better).

4) GlowSaberX - Xzero (This makes your sabers look a lot more nicer).

5) Adjoin Limit Remover - Sige (Some levels require this patch so it removes the HOM effect for high adjoin levels).

And of course there are hundreds if not thousands of additional things that you could get for your JK experience. These are just the major four that popped into my head. Obviously the two best sites to look for content are this one and jkhub.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-11-15, 10:31 AM #4
I would play but every time I try to set up my router to play it disconnects the internet and I don't want to do anything permanent to it.
2007-11-15, 11:14 AM #5
Every time i try replay JK i only get just past barrons head and then i lose interest. Those mods look pretty cool though i think i will try again and clock the whole game:tfti:
Take that there and put it in here
2007-11-15, 11:26 AM #6
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
First step:

1) http://www.jkhub.net

2) JK Launcher - ZeqMacaw (Used to run your mods and find other games and stuff).

3) Jedi Knight Enhanced - Shred18 (This basically updates all of the Character models, weapon models, and powerups to look about 5x better).

4) GlowSaberX - Xzero (This makes your sabers look a lot more nicer).

5) Adjoin Limit Remover - Sige (Some levels require this patch so it removes the HOM effect for high adjoin levels).

And of course there are hundreds if not thousands of additional things that you could get for your JK experience. These are just the major four that popped into my head. Obviously the two best sites to look for content are this one and jkhub.

Wasn't there one that removed the Thing Limit as well?

This is pretty much what I was looking for, the patches and mods that update the game, and some replacement thing for Patch Commander.

[edit]
Reading the actual links before posting is GOOD. Disregard the above.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 12:09 PM #7
Yay! Problem time!

Ran the JK Unofficial Patch. No problems.
Ran the Limits Patch. No problems. Well, that I can see. I have no way to test it.
Installed JK Enhanced. It crashes as soon as it finishes loading any level.
Installed JK Launcher. Think I finally figured out how the hell to work it, made required folders for mods. Installed JK Enhanced so it'd run via JK Launcher. Nothing shows up.

So JK Launcher fails to show any mods. And JK Enhanced crashes every time I use it.
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 12:16 PM #8
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Ran the JK Unofficial Patch. No problems.
Ran the Limits Patch. No problems. Well, that I can see. I have no way to test it.

The JK Unofficial Patch is the only one you need. Restore the original EXE and try patching with only that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-15, 12:43 PM #9
JK Enhanced works now.

Still fighting to make the launcher show mods though. In setup under the JK options for mods it does have,
Quote:
Soon to be implemented.

This page will show the available patches and those that are installed. It will also have options for downloading patches.

Something to do with my problem?
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 12:59 PM #10
Use MZZT's Patch Enforcer instead.
2007-11-15, 1:33 PM #11
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Use MZZT's Patch Enforcer instead.

Got a link? I just dig a quick (and I do mean quick) bit of digging and didn't pull up much.
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 1:52 PM #12
You mean Uber Jedi Mod Manager?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-15, 2:52 PM #13
Explains why I couldn't find it on the Hub. The name changed.
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 3:25 PM #14
If you have followed the instructions for setting up folders, mods in JKLauncher show up when you press "Host Game" or "Join Game" buttons. (Press the "Host Game" button for Single Player.)

:)
2007-11-15, 4:21 PM #15
Well then just to check my work.

According to the instructions, I make two folders. I make "addons" in the JK root directory. Inside "addons" I make "mod". Inside "mod" I stick the mods I want the Launcher to show.
Last Stand
2007-11-15, 4:23 PM #16
If the files is in a .gob format, can't you just copy it under the resources folder?
2007-11-17, 7:46 AM #17
For JKLauncher, inside the "addons" folder, create a "mods" (note it is plural) folder.

Placing a (mod) gob in Resource will work, but then you would have to move the gob out if you no longer want to run JK with that mod. JKLauncher (and the other programs) are intended to simplify the process of activating and deactivating mods.

I am still working on JKLauncher slowly. I will be improving how mods are handled; the current way was just a quick way to get a working version out.

:)
2007-11-17, 12:51 PM #18
Phoenix how could u get JK Enhanced to work. I have the exact same problem where as soon as I load a level it exits to the desktop. I've tried everything from putting back my original .exe and repatching it, using JK Launcher, using the Uber Jedi Mod, following the exact instructions of installing the patch and JKE, running in 3D acceleration mode. Is there anything I'm missing? I even reinstalled the game and it did nothing. This is the only mod I've tried so I don't think something is conflicting with it.

Edit: Oh, the mod does show up in UJMM and JKL.
2007-11-17, 10:42 PM #19
As soon as you load a level? Does that mean it leaves the loading screen before crashing?

Do you have 3d acceleration enabled in the video options, and have it set to a decent resolution (800x600 or higher)?

Also, what kind of video card do you have? You need one that supports textures larger than 256x256.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-11-18, 10:15 AM #20
If his is doing what mine was, restoring JK.exe, and patching it again should fix the problem. I was a retard and did it twice on a couple of occasions, because it went by so fast I wasn't sure anything happened.

The crash for me happened right as the loading bar finished. The instant you'd expect to be dropped into the level, it shoots you back out to the desktop.

So yeah. Only run the patcher ONCE. And then ignore any instructions from then out that tell you to do it again.
Last Stand
2007-11-18, 10:43 AM #21
Did you try running the game WITHOUT all of the above to see if it even runs? That crash after load seems like what was happening to my bad JK install a long time ago.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!