Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sony XCP, Spyware, and My DVD Drive
Sony XCP, Spyware, and My DVD Drive
2007-11-15, 8:01 PM #1
I recently bought a CD from ebay (Get Right With The Man - Van Zant) and it had to install a sony XCP copy protection thing if I was going to copy songs from the CD to my hard drive to be able to add them to a playlist. Anyways, this has messed up my DVD drive because when I put in a CD it doesn't automatically play. I have to go to my computer and the DVD drive to play a CD. I also learned this could install spyware and make it easier for viruses to get to my computer. I also learned there's a chance I may have to format.

Rant over. Discuss. And if you know of any solutions since I think it may be software, please tell me.
2007-11-15, 8:12 PM #2
Advice:

Google is your friend.
2007-11-15, 8:15 PM #3
i wonder if thats one of those rootkit cds...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-11-15, 8:16 PM #4
Rob, I am looking on Google.

And yes genk, it is one of those rootkit things.
2007-11-15, 8:17 PM #5
Sounds like it is.

Also you don't have to install the copy protection. You just disable autorun for CDs. From what I hear the CD plays fine without it.

2007-11-15, 8:22 PM #6
Problem is, I already installed it and now I can't get it off of the computer.
2007-11-15, 8:41 PM #7
You're not supposed to. It's DRM. Welcome to Sony's world.

Though you did miss the class action lawsuit that resulted from it.

They supposedly made a tool available to uninstall it, but I wasn't paying attention since I could rip out this thing in my sleep.

2007-11-15, 8:48 PM #8
that's what you get for buying a sony product
2007-11-15, 8:58 PM #9
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]They supposedly made a tool available to uninstall it, but I wasn't paying attention since I could rip out this thing in my sleep.[/QUOTE]

I think the tool actually causes more problems. The reason I want it off is because it could harm to our computer.

What's next, they're gonna put special locks on PS3 controllers so you can only use them with one system?
2007-11-15, 9:04 PM #10
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
I think the tool actually causes more problems. The reason I want it off is because it could harm to our computer.
The tool causes IE to automatically approve and install any ActiveX control, essentially turning your computer into a useless brick. If you don't know how to dig into the system and root out Sony's virus then you'd better reformat.

Quote:
What's next, they're gonna put special locks on PS3 controllers so you can only use them with one system?
No, see, all of these improvements are for the benefit of the consumer. Without the added cost of piracy companies are able to provide you with even more quality entertainment.
2007-11-15, 9:21 PM #11
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The tool causes IE to automatically approve and install any ActiveX control, essentially turning your computer into a useless brick. If you don't know how to dig into the system and root out Sony's virus then you'd better reformat.

No, see, all of these improvements are for the benefit of the consumer. Without the added cost of piracy companies are able to provide you with even more quality entertainment.

I actually don't use IE, I use opera, if it makes a difference.
2007-11-15, 9:30 PM #12
Don't you use macs exclusively or some ****? If I remember right you're the resident :downs: fanboy.
D E A T H
2007-11-15, 9:33 PM #13
Huh? I don't recall ever using an Apple product in my life.

(I don't hate Macs)
2007-11-15, 9:35 PM #14
I know there's some anakin guy on here who's all :neckbeard: about macs.
D E A T H
2007-11-15, 9:37 PM #15
I always thought I was the only Anakin on this site. But I've only been around since 2005.
2007-11-16, 5:31 AM #16
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I know there's some anakin guy on here who's all :neckbeard: about macs.

Theres alot of those here.
2007-11-16, 8:19 AM #17
Originally posted by Rob:
Theres alot of those here.

Not really, just the anakin guy. He's ****ing "dee dee dee" when it comes to macs. Hell, he makes Martyn look like a windows fanboy.
D E A T H
2007-11-16, 9:02 AM #18
*dances*

I <3 my mac but I'm only a recent convert - I'm still a semi-happy XP user at work, although every now and again I get all ROBHOLE-JIN-KIRBY-MB-FACED-YOSHI!! with my pc when it doesn't do things I want it to do.

Oh, and reformat. Maybe I was a little over-zealous, but I used to reformat my HDD every 3 months or so to keep things ticking over shiny and happily.
2007-11-16, 9:21 AM #19
From what I remember, the first version of the remover sony released caused more problems but I was under the impression that they released a second one that acctualy did work.
It's be worth trying.
Also google a program called "rootkitreleavler"
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-11-17, 6:21 AM #20
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Not really, just the anakin guy. He's ****ing "dee dee dee" when it comes to macs. Hell, he makes Martyn look like a windows fanboy.

AnakinPaul, or some such. Yeah, the guy's pretty much a proxy for Steve Jobs.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-11-17, 6:48 AM #21
he does actually work in a mac store too, so that'd probably sway his opinions somewhat :P
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2007-11-19, 7:07 AM #22
Originally posted by James Bond:
he does actually work in a mac store too, so that'd probably sway his opinions somewhat :P

I think you may be confused about the causation.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-11-19, 12:48 PM #23
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Sounds like it is.

Also you don't have to install the copy protection. You just disable autorun for CDs. From what I hear the CD plays fine without it.

OMG

ENABLER OF BREAKING OF COPY PROTECTION. HOW DARE YOU METION THAT, THAT IS AGAINST THE INDUCE ACT.

>.> <.<

I always wanted to do faux angry sueing person, but technicaly, that IS actualy against the INDUCE act (about inducing copyright violation or revealing ways beat copy protection), and one company actualy tried to sue someone for revealing that pressing shift to avoid the cd autorunning and installing SERIOUSLY computer security compromising software that was supposed to be helping prevent copywrtie violations. but i dont think it went anywhere.

anyway, just letting you know that i am only kidding. (/me loves australia where we have a consumer watchdog that not only carries authority, but is neutral between both consumer and buisness, so it isnt hated by companies).
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!