Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → GPS units?
GPS units?
2007-11-18, 1:13 PM #1
Does anyone know a lot about these? I want to get one for my girlfriend for Christmas and I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the different models. What exactly should I be looking for? Note that I'd like to spend under $300. I do know the unit needs to have US and Canadian maps and spoken directions. Any help would be appreciated.
2007-11-18, 1:19 PM #2
I like the ones with the touch screens the best.

Just make sure it's color and has a decent sized screen.
2007-11-18, 1:38 PM #3
Oh yeah, touch screen, color, and decent size are all musts. What's a good screen size, like 3.5"? It seems to be one of the most common.
2007-11-18, 1:45 PM #4
My roommate just got a Garmin Nuvi. It seems to work rather nicely.

Though he does work for Garmin, so there might be a bit of a bias...
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-11-18, 2:40 PM #5
Aglar is telling his girlfriend that she gets lost almost always. I thought us men always get lost and then refuse to ask for directions.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-18, 4:31 PM #6
What are you talking about, Centurion? I never get lost. TO THERMOPYLAE! :hist101:
2007-11-18, 9:30 PM #7
Pick up a Garmin GPSMAP 60. Lightweight, waterproof, comes preloaded with the "Americas" map (US, Canada, Mexico), and includes a USB cable so you can load other maps if you wish. I own one and highly recommend it over Magellan. Anything by Garmin will do fine, but the GPSMAP 60 is the best option.

MSRP is $250US. You can pick one up for about that price from REI, Bass Pro, Sport Chalet, or whichever other large chain sporting/outdoor retailer you may have in your area.
2007-11-18, 9:34 PM #8
We have the Garmin Nuvi at work and they seem to work pretty well.
2007-11-18, 9:47 PM #9
Amazon has them on sale right now.
2007-11-18, 10:13 PM #10
namebrand wise I would reccomend garmin as well. I picked up a Clarion and I was rather disappointed in it. From what I've seen of some of my friends gps units, I defiantely say Garmin
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2007-11-18, 10:25 PM #11
I should have explicitly mentioned that I'm looking for a in-car GPS, I don't think the GPSMAP 60 is really appropriate. Thank, though.

The Nuvi that you linked to, SiliconC, is a bit out of my price range, but I'll check out some of the cheaper ones. Thanks.
2007-11-19, 2:38 AM #12
http://www.tomtom.com/ ?

My mother has one, as her employment takes her to work every day. I believe she likes it. Maybe Phantom-Seraph can confirm? I mean, he does spend more time with my mom than I do.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-19, 4:52 PM #13
It turns out Best Buy will have a Magellan for 169 this week.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-19, 5:54 PM #14
Black Friday should have some. 'Bout the only thing they're going to have this Black Friday...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-19, 7:54 PM #15
They have some killer deals on monitors and HDTV's this black friday. Basically half off a lot of ****. Best buy in particular.

[url]www.bfads.com[/url]

I personally think best buy for electronics etc, circuit city for tv show seasons.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!