Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK on a Mac
JK on a Mac
2007-11-19, 7:06 PM #1
Does anyone know if it will run through WINE or Crossover or something of that nature?
"i've seen alot of kids (i'm 35) come on here and ask for advice about girls. look at potato here. he makes a tape and sings to a girl. some girls will laugh in your face, some behind your back and then some might love you for it. potato is a man. a man with a girl. -Darth Evad
2007-11-19, 7:09 PM #2
i think a patch was on here a while back.
2007-11-19, 7:40 PM #3
Try DarWINE.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-19, 9:09 PM #4
Whoa, talk about a blast from the past!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-19, 9:26 PM #5
I was unable to get JK to run in my Debian Etch system using the packaged wine. The installer worked fine, the launcher seemed to work, but when I started a game, the display would get all weird and it wouldn't run.
2007-11-19, 10:02 PM #6
Mine used to work decently through WINE in Ubuntu, but now it just fails (something about a page fault on write access to some hex number).
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-11-19, 10:43 PM #7
I've NEVER been able to get JK working on wine, although I know it's been done by others.

I can get the JK GUI working (an improvement in recent builds; before it wouldn't run at all) , but when I try to start the actual game engine, it just crashes. I'm using the latest build from winehq in conjunction with Ubuntu 7.10, (cutting edge all the way around) but still nothing.
2007-11-20, 4:18 AM #8
I think it only ever ran without 3D Acceleration.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-11-20, 4:26 AM #9
You can run it in VMWare Fusion using a Windows instance, VMWare fusion has directx9 support, so it may work.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-20, 4:48 AM #10
JK uses DirectX 5, so the system would need DirectX 5 or 7 support (which have different interfaces than DirectX 8 and above).

Clarification: Although DirectX 8 and above officially include previous DirectX interfaces, what is often meant by "DirectX 9 is supported" is that only the DirectX 9 interfaces are supported (i.e. no backwards compatibility).

:)
2007-11-20, 4:27 PM #11
Thanks all... So far, I have been unlucky getting it to work with crossover. Oh well. Yeah, blast from the past is right, and I only post when I need something, go figure, ha.
"i've seen alot of kids (i'm 35) come on here and ask for advice about girls. look at potato here. he makes a tape and sings to a girl. some girls will laugh in your face, some behind your back and then some might love you for it. potato is a man. a man with a girl. -Darth Evad

↑ Up to the top!