Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → omfg system shock 2 FOR FREE!!
omfg system shock 2 FOR FREE!!
2004-07-29, 5:57 PM #1
No.

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited July 29, 2004).]
2004-07-29, 6:07 PM #2
/me pisses pants

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-29, 6:11 PM #3
Is it... is it legal?

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-29, 6:16 PM #4
yuo its legal...and a full cd-rip version!

------------------
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Join the Army, Go to distant lands, meet interesting people, kill them!

Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium
2004-07-29, 6:21 PM #5
...abandonware is not technically legal so please don't go posting links here.

I find it strange this site seems to claim it IS abandonware anyway when you can pick up System Shock 2 in the bargain bin of every EB near where I live (I got it there a few months ago). Not old copies, new ones...not very 'abandoned' if you ask me.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited July 29, 2004).]
2004-07-29, 6:21 PM #6
What a horrible download rate... I'm getting only 33.4 kb/sec. I usually get 150 on average. This website must have some lame servers set up for this or too many are downloading it.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
2004-07-29, 6:27 PM #7
the severs may be lame but hey..its free!

------------------

2004-07-29, 6:28 PM #8
Jeff beat me to this thread, so I dont know what shorty posted, but I very much doubt its legality.

Not that it matters in the least bit... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
What a horrible download rate...</font>

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-29, 6:37 PM #9
I'll say ahead of time that if I've made a statement aginst the rules in my post below, it wasn't intentional.

I think I saw it at the underdogs awhile back. I was going to grab it up, but didn't have the time.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-29, 7:14 PM #10
If they were offering System Shock 1, /then/ i would get excited, as that doesn't seem to exist anymore [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-29, 7:38 PM #11
System Shock

This is surely abandoneware as have never seen System Shock one one sale.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-29, 7:44 PM #12
Well, I decided to evaluate the site a bit and discovered that it the site is one of those "abandon-ware" sites that showcase a bunch of old games that are considered "underdogs". Not all the games they show are downloaded, just a few are. All of the games that are downloadable are CD-rips so they most likely aren't legal. They reasoning for offering them is that they are "abandonware" and that they aren't for sale anymore. As Jaiph pointed out, that isn't exactly true with some of the games available there so Jaiph made the right decision to remove imsoshort's link to the game's download.

Anyway, I was successful in downloading the game it is seems to be the full game of ss2. It's a CD-Rip so it had to reconstruct the game files and doesn't install the game via a install file.

-- SavageX

------------------
2004-07-29, 7:46 PM #13
It's a shame not that many people caught on to SS2, such a freaking awesome game.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-29, 8:10 PM #14
Yeah, System Shock 2 is indeed great. Even though I prefer Deus Ex.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-29, 8:22 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
System Shock

This is surely abandoneware as have never seen System Shock one one sale.

</font>

Too bad the version there doesn't seem to work.

------------------
2004-07-30, 7:32 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
What a horrible download rate... I'm getting only 33.4 kb/sec.

</font>

Consider yourself lucky, I'm only getting 15kb/sec.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-07-30, 7:38 AM #17
guess what...Micro **** thinks that its performing an illegal opperation. i bet it is BUT LET ME HAVE MY GODDAMN GAME!!!
god i hate microcrap now...grrr

------------------

2004-07-30, 8:14 AM #18
Calme-toi.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-30, 8:26 AM #19
...ok.....

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-30, 11:02 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imsoshort:
guess what...Micro **** thinks that its performing an illegal opperation. i bet it is BUT LET ME HAVE MY GODDAMN GAME!!!

</font>

I could make all sorts of comments on that, but I'm not. It'd only get me in trouble and start a fight of some sort. Oh, and just so you know, only one of the about 10 comments I have has anything to do with Linux.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-30, 11:33 AM #21
If Abandonware links are wrong here why do Underdog links seem to be allowed?

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-30, 11:38 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
If Abandonware links are wrong here why do Underdog links seem to be allowed?

</font>

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-07-30, 11:44 AM #23
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, Wookie, but some games like Shock 2 go up and down periodically at HOTU. When somebody finds a buy link the download is removed.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-30, 12:35 PM #24
SS and SS2 aren't designed for the 2000/XP kernel. Good luck trying to run it, but I do hear it works in compatability mode.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-07-30, 4:25 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, Wookie, but some games like Shock 2 go up and down periodically at HOTU. When somebody finds a buy link the download is removed.</font>

I know that not all games shown on The Underdogs are available for download from that site however most are and I'm assuming that they don't own the rights to distribute them. I like the site and download from it. It just doesn't seem consistent to allow links from one site that isn't authorized to distribute programs over another. Actually I think it was one of your posts that first turned me on to the site. I always meant to thank you for that. Fat chance now.

Just kidding. Thanks!

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-30, 5:10 PM #26
Okay, now you're *totally* screwing with my mind.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-30, 5:14 PM #27
Actually Fett, I was able to get the game to run fine. At first it didn't work because of a directX error but after downloading the latest version of the GeForce drivers (the latest came out a few days ago), the game runs fine. However, there is a sound bug in which you have to go into the sounds options and run the sound test with hardware sound off before the sound would work. Also, you have to run the game with an extra command line for it to run in Windows 2k/xp. That command line can be found in the readme.

-- SavageX

------------------
2004-07-30, 7:01 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
SS and SS2 aren't designed for the 2000/XP kernel. Good luck trying to run it, but I do hear it works in compatability mode.
</font>

Hmm. SS2 works fine here on 2k, as do Thief and Thief 2. The problem with Thief (and, possibly, SS2) is that the setup program is not designed to work under NT, and will abort, because 2k is recognised as NT. If you add the paramater "-lgntforce" to the setup program then it should work fine.

I have heard that there are other issues, which can be solved by setting compatability mode, but I've never experienced them. Of course, I've had enough experience with computers to know that this doesn't mean they don't exist for everyone!
2004-07-30, 8:43 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Okay, now you're *totally* screwing with my mind.</font>

Well, I could be wrong but it seems to me you may have posted a link to the underdogs on TACC. Either way, I have no personal grudge against you despite your tendancy to go out of your way to bust my chops. I'm simply trying to demonstrate that to you.

Wasn't it you that has linked to the site several times in the past in various discussions?

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-07-30, 9:33 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imsoshort:

</font>

well, technicaly, it is.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

serves you right for trying to run a cd rip warze.

------------------
Bill What if these anti-violent-video game people were all killed by a fat italian plumber in a red hat jumping on them repeatedly. Wouldn't that be poetic justice in its purist form?
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-31, 1:33 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FeTT:

</font>

SS2 works fine for me but since my computer has hyper-threading I did need to jump through some hoops. The engine SS2 uses does NOT like hyperthreading and you have to set the game 'process' to use only one virtual cpu.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-31, 5:39 AM #32
The local EB around here does not have a bargain bin. You *cannot* find System Shock 2 around here anywhere. I have looked.
2004-07-31, 6:37 AM #33
god now another of MY [!not!sajns!]gets turned into a debate....crap i feel like sajn

------------------

2004-07-31, 7:02 AM #34
SS1 runs brilliantly for me. Though i did have to get an updated third-party executable because the original is a bit wonky about trying to use memory it hasn't allocated and then crashing and such. Only issue is can't get music to work yet, sound runs fine. And this is just running it from a command prompt in xp. Tried running it in dosbox but no matter what i tried it was slow as heck there.

CD version running in 640x480 actually looks Rather Good.
>.>
<.<

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited July 31, 2004).]
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-31, 7:36 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
Well, I could be wrong but it seems to me you may have posted a link to the underdogs on TACC. Either way, I have no personal grudge against you despite your tendancy to go out of your way to bust my chops. I'm simply trying to demonstrate that to you.

Wasn't it you that has linked to the site several times in the past in various discussions?

</font>

I dunno. I might have. Probably (I like that site).

Oh, and I don't mean to be all down on your chops. I only really see you in political threads, though (and I only post in the political threads that get me pissed off enough to yell back. So it's a no-win situation). I'm sure you're a decent fellow.

------------------

-MBeggar

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited July 31, 2004).]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-31, 8:05 AM #36
Do you guys think Abandonware is immoral?

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-31, 8:30 AM #37
Tracer has posted a think to HotU here. And? No one complained. Except now.

Damn you.

------------------
2004-07-31, 10:35 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
Do you guys think Abandonware is immoral?

</font>

No. And Underdogs is pretty good about it. If companies ask to have their games taken down, they go down. If a buy link is found, download links are removed.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-31, 12:44 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
...abandonware is not technically legal so please don't go posting links here.

I find it strange this site seems to claim it IS abandonware anyway when you can pick up System Shock 2 in the bargain bin of every EB near where I live (I got it there a few months ago). Not old copies, new ones...not very 'abandoned' if you ask me.

</font>

Well I can't get hold of it here in the UK as far as I know...

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-07-31, 1:35 PM #40
I bought it ages ago, and in the last week I've tried to download it 4 times, and each time I've got an incomplete!!! Aaah!!

(I lost my CD moving between 3 houses)

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

↑ Up to the top!