Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Silly Christians, you're just making me want to see it more
Silly Christians, you're just making me want to see it more
2007-11-24, 4:19 PM #1
So, a bunch of lunatics are calling for a boycott of The Golden Compass, which I have been eagerly awaiting since I've heard about it months ago. They're saying that the material in His Dark Materials, the book this movie is based on, is too anti-religious, which it is, because the author tried to counter some of the Christian themes in The Chronicals of Narnia.

Does this mean we should protect our children from the themes in this new movie to ensure they won't, Odin forbid, learn about being atheist or any other religion? Come on.

Now they're just teasing me and making me more anxious to see it.

[EDIT]: To clarify, I just really wanted to make a post about the movie, and that boycotting topic was bound to show up sooner or later in the discussion anyways. JG has a good point though.
2007-11-24, 4:27 PM #2
Lots of movies are anti religious, what's the big deal?

Crazy boycotting Christians.
My blawgh.
2007-11-24, 4:28 PM #3
You're paying attention to them why?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-24, 4:29 PM #4
Well, I just really wanted to make a post about The Golden Compass, more or less.
2007-11-24, 4:35 PM #5
I wonder if they seriously think this will affect anything, at all.

Remember when they boycotted Harry Potter? Yeah that was definitely disastrous for that franchise.
Stuff
2007-11-24, 4:38 PM #6
They probably don't. It's just a good excuse to saber-rattle.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-24, 4:55 PM #7
I told my sister I was atheist. And then had to explain that it isn't the same as satanism. -_-

o.0
2007-11-24, 5:54 PM #8
My friend just forced me to read the book before the movie came out.

It was actually really good, but I'm not too certain how the movie will turn out.

As for the Crazy Christians, just remember that fundamentalist christians have protested pretty much every book ever published that wasn't the bible.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-11-24, 6:05 PM #9
Fundamentalists from all religions are idiots.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-24, 6:10 PM #10
Originally posted by kyle90:
Remember when they boycotted Harry Potter? Yeah that was definitely disastrous for that franchise.

I remember that. A group burned a big pile of Harry Potter books to protest. But in order to have a huge pile, they had to buy alot of books. So in the end, Harry Potter got good profits.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-11-24, 6:23 PM #11
Well, I'm not going to see the Golden Compass because off the boycott. I'd never heard about it until about a week ago, and probably never would have gone to see it to begin with. The "boycott" thing just gives me all the more reason to not go see it.

If a movie supports something that I'm against, I generally don't go see it so that my money doesn't go to support something I'm against.
2007-11-24, 6:38 PM #12
Ooo, I forgot this was coming out. Thanks crazy christians!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-24, 6:42 PM #13
Originally posted by Axis:
If a movie supports something that I'm against, I generally don't go see it so that my money doesn't go to support something I'm against.

You let other people decide what you're against?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-24, 6:57 PM #14
oh damn the christians are boycotting that mean's i can't use the movie money things that came with some dvds...oh wait i forgot I'M SATAN

>.>
<.<
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-11-24, 7:23 PM #15
Originally posted by JediKirby:
You let other people decide what you're against?

No.
2007-11-24, 8:38 PM #16
... so what are you saying?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-24, 8:41 PM #17
I saw a trailer for it in a theater. It looks like a really crappy mix between Narnia and Final Fantasy. Now I find out that the author has some sort of lame agenda. No thanks.

But it will still make a lot of money because of the *zomg* controversy. It's like the Harry Potter thing, except this time all that the Golden Compass has going for it is the controversy.

Man, The Deathly Hallows was so awesome. I need to reread that.
2007-11-24, 8:43 PM #18
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
You're paying attention to them why?

Yeah seriously, who cares?
2007-11-24, 8:44 PM #19
The author did not have an agenda. People are putting too much into things.

And they removed a lot of the religion bits for the movie.
2007-11-24, 8:47 PM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I saw a trailer for it in a theater. It looks like a really crappy mix between Narnia and Final Fantasy. Now I find out that the author has some sort of lame agenda. No thanks.

INDOCTRINATION RESPONSE ALERT BREE BREE
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-24, 8:50 PM #21
Nice try, but that was my response before I heard that everyone was freaking out about it. Every single part of the tailor just looked... bad. Cheesy even. I thought it was some sort of appeal to 14 year old anime geeks. It probably is.

Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
The author did not have an agenda. People are putting too much into things.

And they removed a lot of the religion bits for the movie.

Oh? I thought there the author said that in some sort of interview. To be honest, I really don't care. If the movie itself looked at all interesting, we'll talk but until then I really hate fanning the fire of contrived controversy. Not that there is a case for controversy in either case.
2007-11-24, 8:53 PM #22
I think it looks awesome. I love huge fantasies like that.

Also, Daniel Craig. <3
2007-11-24, 8:56 PM #23
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I think it looks awesome. I love huge fantasies like that.

Same :hist101:
2007-11-24, 8:56 PM #24
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Nice try, but that was my response before I heard that everyone was freaking out about it.

You keep telling yourself that, tiger.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-24, 8:57 PM #25
yep, i want to see it because i LOVED the books, by the end of the series how they show religion is interesting and i believe its going to be good to watch, think about, and realise... it is fantasy set in a parallel universe, a made up story, there is no point to thinking otherwise
you could say the same thing to the bible, but people like me choose to believe it,... or even more then i do
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-11-24, 8:58 PM #26
More kids save the world with magic boring crap.

WHATS NEXT? KIDS SAVE THE WORLD WITH A COLLECTABLE TRADING CARD GAME?
2007-11-24, 8:58 PM #27
I do have to agree, it looks dumb and narnia-rip-off. I am always reminded of the dudes riding bears though. Is that illustration from this book?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-24, 9:00 PM #28
Nothing could be gained by a boycott, and these people are missing the whole point.

The whole point of being a Christian is to understand that you have been eternally separated from the world. As such, it's pointless to try and change the world since the world is going to resist you and what you stand for until the very last. The most any Christian is called to do is live by example.
2007-11-24, 9:00 PM #29
Taochristalinanist
2007-11-24, 9:21 PM #30
Originally posted by Emon:
You keep telling yourself that, tiger.

That's exactly the sort of smug retort I'd expect from you.

If you're wrong, admit it. Acting as if you know my motives better than myself is an exercise in failure. It's worse than negative proof.

Also, I loved The Truman Show, even if it did have a very strong but subtle anti-Christan theme.
2007-11-24, 9:45 PM #31
Originally posted by Rob:
Taochristalinanist

That was JM.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-24, 10:32 PM #32
The golden compass is as close as we're going to get to The Bear Cavalry.

I am all for it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-24, 10:37 PM #33
I fail to see why I should care that some people choose to boycott a movie I want to see.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-24, 10:52 PM #34
DA BEARS!
2007-11-24, 10:54 PM #35
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I fail to see why I should care that some people choose to boycott a movie I want to see.

You should care because you can mention that you saw this movie to your friends/coworkers at the watercooler and they would be like "ohhh you saw that controversal movie that people are protesting" and you would be like "yeah I did and I'll tell you what was controversal in detail" and they would listen to you intensely and be educated because they think you are so aware of modern social issues and when you are finished talking about the film in such a keen perspective you could throw in a comment like "the plot wasn't developed enough" to show how a critical, unbaised viewer you are in such a controversal topic and then you could go home happy about your increased social image and then call over your woman (or man) and have sex with lots of foreplay and lotion.
2007-11-24, 10:56 PM #36
No thanks.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-24, 10:56 PM #37
Fine, you don't need sex.
2007-11-24, 11:19 PM #38
Sex is fine, but the rest of that is too much work.
2007-11-24, 11:29 PM #39
To JediKirby: All I was trying to say is that I don't go see movies that I don't agree with. For example, I'm not going to go see a movie like Borat, because I don't feel like my money should go to support Borat-ish things.
However, if I went and saw Amazing Grace I'd be all for that, because my money would be going towards a movie that has things I -do- support and -would- like to see more of.

Does that make sense? :P

Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
The whole point of being a Christian is to understand that you have been eternally separated from the world. As such, it's pointless to try and change the world since the world is going to resist you and what you stand for until the very last. The most any Christian is called to do is live by example.

Have you ever read the book of Acts?
2007-11-24, 11:31 PM #40
I find the whole thing about "controversy" about religion in movies really funny. If the movie looks good to me, I'll see it.
Someone mentioned anti-christianity in the Truman show, well I never noticed it. Wanna know why? (no? oh... uh... then I guess you can stop reading my post)
It's because when I watch a movie, I'm not trying to psyco-analyze every potential message the movie could be portraying. I'm watching a movie, a fictional movie. You could say Battlestar Galactica is anti-christian since the good guys believe in multiple gods and the cylons are the ones who have a single deity. But I really could care less since it's just good TV. I may watch the Compass when it comes out on DVD, but only if I'm with friends who want to watch it. The trailer didn't really spark my interest and I have better things to waste my money on.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"

↑ Up to the top!