Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → m4a to mp3?
m4a to mp3?
2007-11-24, 5:19 PM #1
i want to convert a library of m4a's (itunes) to mp3's for a samsung p2. any suggestions?
thanks.

btw, i HATE apple!! HATE!
2007-11-24, 5:22 PM #2
Uh, select all in iTunes, right click, select "convert to mp3"
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-24, 5:22 PM #3
itunes
media monkey
something else

OH WAIT APPLE SUCKZ BECAUSE I SAID SO OMG
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-11-24, 6:03 PM #4
heh, I need to do this as well, but I don't use iTunes :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-11-24, 6:06 PM #5
Hey, Even I use Itunes.
If only for conversions.
2007-11-24, 7:11 PM #6
Unfortunately, this only works on CDs you may have ripped to your library, not ones purchased through the iTunes store (if you use it, that is).
2007-11-24, 7:26 PM #7
mencoder (comes with mplayer) will do this because it can play and encode any freaking format. The problem is it's a CLI program (console) and you pretty much have to pour through man_page.html every time you need to build a command line because there are so many options. If you could build one, a simple for loop could convert all your files in one swoop.

There are some frontends for mencoder though which could make it easier. However they usually focus on video.

The most common MP3 encoder is LAME but I think it only takes uncompressed WAV as input. RazorLAME is a good LAME frontend. mencoder uses LAME as a backend I believe and would unencode the m4as before passing them to LAME.

Also reencoding audio files usually results in a loss of quality. It's usually best to rerip from the original source (or just find someplace to download mp3s from).

2007-11-24, 7:57 PM #8
I just burn the ones I want to CD, then rip 'em.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-24, 8:09 PM #9
Ugh, that's disgusting.
2007-11-24, 9:25 PM #10
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Ugh, that's disgusting.

Not if you burn them to images of CDs... :awesome:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-24, 10:40 PM #11
Search for Hymn Project.

That is all.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-25, 5:21 AM #12
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
mencoder (comes with mplayer) will do this because it can play and encode any freaking format. The problem is it's a CLI program (console) and you pretty much have to pour through man_page.html every time you need to build a command line because there are so many options. If you could build one, a simple for loop could convert all your files in one swoop.

Sounds like a good .bat file job, then. Too bad it demands a video output as well.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-11-25, 8:13 AM #13
Originally posted by happydud:
Search for Hymn Project.

That is all.

this
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-11-26, 2:01 AM #14
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Sounds like a good .bat file job, then. Too bad it demands a video output as well.

-vo null
is your friend.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-11-26, 5:12 AM #15
Step 1: Delete all your current music.
Step 2: Redownload all your music in FLAC.
Step 3: Come back here and ***** about how lossless is so much better and how you just can't stand transcodes.
:master::master::master:
2007-11-26, 9:48 AM #16
Ignorance is bliss.
2007-11-26, 10:21 AM #17
Originally posted by happydud:
Search for Hymn Project.

That is all.

As far as I call that doesn't work with new Itunesy stuff.
2007-11-26, 11:40 AM #18
Originally posted by stat:
Step 1: Delete all your current music.
Step 2: Redownload all your music in FLAC.
Step 3: Come back here and ***** about how lossless is so much better and how you just can't stand transcodes.

yeah but flac's are easly 5 times larger
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!