Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The 300 Spartans
The 300 Spartans
2007-11-28, 3:05 AM #1
I just bought this movie last friday. I thought it was fascinating how much it differed, but also was related to the newer movie, which was apparently twice removed inspired by this older film.

Anyone else seen both? I thought this one was at least on par with the new one.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-28, 8:36 AM #2
I've seen both and liked both. I think I may lean a little more towards 300 however in terms of which I liked more. This is probably because I liked the concept of the movie being played out through as a storyteller was telling his tale. I also always imagined Xerxes looking the way he did in 300...even though he more correctly portrayed in The 300 Spartans. >_>
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2007-11-28, 8:51 AM #3
Wut? You mean he wasn't actually 12 feet tall?

:argh:
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-28, 10:41 AM #4
Er, I think it's safe to say the movies were actually inspired by Thermopolae.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-28, 3:29 PM #5
I happened to see 300 Spartans about 3-4 days before going to see 300 in the cinema, it was being shown on one of the UK channels at around 2-3am in the morning and I happened to catch it before I went to sleep.

It was a good movie for its time and a lot more accurate to the historical events and also gave a lot more background on the actual events which is totally skimmed over/ignored in 300.

I'd recommend that people watch them both as they give totally different views on the events.

300 Spartans - Is what you'd imagine if you read it in a history book or in school.

300 - Is how you would tell you friends about the battle if you were there :D
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2007-11-28, 4:31 PM #6

Best of both worlds!
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-11-28, 10:56 PM #7
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Er, I think it's safe to say the movies were actually inspired by Thermopolae.

Well, yeah. However, the 300 comic was inspired by The 300 Spartans. The movie 300 was then based on the comic. So, as Spook said, 300 was inspired by The 300 Spartans in a roundabout way.

↑ Up to the top!