Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → British teacher faces lashes in Sudan...
British teacher faces lashes in Sudan...
2007-12-01, 5:23 PM #1
...after letting her class name a teddy bear Muhammad. The news of the teddy bear is probably old to most people.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article2947734.ece
2007-12-01, 5:26 PM #2
i love how the government has put her in hiding because of the people wanting her death

D:
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-12-01, 5:43 PM #3
Well, it kind of makes sense, doesn't it? You're in the freelancering middle east. Don't be stupid.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-01, 5:47 PM #4
Yes, well it's about on par with the whole obscure Danish cartoon thing. Now they will claim to have more excuses to bomb the whole of the UK but no one seems to say STFU to them like King Carlos of Spain did to Mr. Chavez
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2007-12-01, 5:47 PM #5
If she's teaching in that country she should have known the controversy of naming things after the prophet Muhammad - just because kids named it doesn't make it an excuse on her part. I don't agree with the law, or the punishment - but she should have known better.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-12-01, 5:47 PM #6
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Well, it kind of makes sense, doesn't it? You're in the freelancering middle east. Don't be stupid.

What? Do you actually know where the Sudan is?
"Africa wins again!" is all that comes to mind.
2007-12-01, 6:25 PM #7
Originally posted by Recusant:
What? Do you actually know where the Sudan is?
"Africa wins again!" is all that comes to mind.

While true, I think many people consider the northern African countries part of the middle east. Middle east isn't a continental specific region; many people think of it as a religion bound region (Primarily Islamic States), although Sudan kind of falls on the border of that "region", I guess.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-01, 7:45 PM #8
Sudan is usually considered part of the middle east.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-01, 8:18 PM #9
She should have been shot.
2007-12-01, 8:36 PM #10
I wouldn't mind if someone named their teddy bear "Jesus".

Hasn't Islam been trying to distance themselves from extremists like Al Queda by saying their religion does NOT promote violence?

2007-12-01, 8:46 PM #11
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Hasn't Islam been trying to distance themselves from extremists like Al Queda by saying their religion does NOT promote violence?

I'm willing to bet that the greater majority of those involved here are not so concerned with promoting a non-violent Islam.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-01, 9:37 PM #12
I wouldn't mind if someone named their teddy bear "Jesus".

Why not? One of my friend is named Jesus. Jesus Guevara.
Back again
2007-12-01, 10:05 PM #13

By and large yeah, but isn't Sudan the country that is doing the genocide and whatnot? :tinfoil:
2007-12-01, 10:06 PM #14
Mohammad is a fairly common Muslim name. Jesus is also a common name in many countries, you just don't see many Jesus-es in the US. What made them think Mohammad was any reference to the prophet?

Ridiculous and retarded.

2007-12-02, 12:57 AM #15
Mohammad is a very common Muslim name. But the bear was named Muhammad - which is the name of the prophet. I don't know if there's any differences between the names semantics-wise, but who knows.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-12-02, 4:20 AM #16
Mohammed is spelt in all sorts of ways because apparently it's difficult to Anglicise perfectly (kinda like Koran/Qu'ran). I've been told most people called Mohammed are only called that by English speakers who see it as their first name, amongst other Muslims they normally use their middle name to identify themselves. Supposedly there's a bit in the Qu'ran that says you're blessed or something if you name your kids Mohammed which is why it's done.
2007-12-02, 5:51 AM #17
The spelling is as irrelevant as any idea that this was a case of idolatry. The whole thing is a ridiculous misunderstanding. Even IF this woman was daft enough to let this happen, you'd think the religious educators of the children in question should be taking some flak too seeing as how they didn't obviously drill into these children the rules about naming things Mu/Mohammed.
2007-12-02, 6:09 AM #18
Damn, imagine what'd they do to Matt Stone and Trey Parker...
2007-12-02, 7:16 AM #19
I'm pretty sure they are top on the muslim "most wanted"
2007-12-02, 9:34 AM #20
Sudan is a scary place. Most modern Muslims would just scoff.

Also, she couldn't have named it Jesus, either. They would've been just as mad.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-02, 9:40 AM #21
Not unless if you said it as Hey-Zeus...wait a minute!
Back again
2007-12-02, 1:23 PM #22
I think she just got deported or 15 days in jail (not sure what exactly happened) but I'm pretty sure she didn't end up getting lashed.
2007-12-04, 5:44 AM #23
she has been released.

also im sure the sky wizard would have done something about it himself if he was really pissed off.

↑ Up to the top!