Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need computer recommendation
Need computer recommendation
2007-12-01, 10:20 PM #1
Hi. I noticed a lot of threads like these come up and are answered well here.

I currently have a P4 3.2 ghz, and a x850 PE, 1gig RAM. I've had this setup close to 3 years and its performed very well without any upgrades since. Unfortunately, it is one of the notorious Prescott pentiums, and overheats all the time. I have a heatpipe cooler on there but it still overheats. I have a sh***y antec case. I'd like to address the overheating before it blows up. The reason I ended up with the prescott is because of upgrade staggering; it was the best socket 470 chip there was at the time.

I'm not a huge gamer these days, but I'd like to be able to reasonably play todays current games, and maybe Fallout 3 when it comes out (Oblivion runs great now) with minimal upgrades. Til then I don't really need any huge bit of performance, just average student computing.

My budget is $200 or less, but preferrably less. Is it possible to get a mobo/CPU that is >= what i currently have? I really don't know how my old setup compares with the budget mobo/cpu of today, so thats why i need your help. Also, an AGP slot would be nice so i could save the x850.

As an alternative, I considered spending money on a nice cooling system for now, and just start saving for a better rig.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
2007-12-01, 11:57 PM #2
Honestly I would save for a new system. Its not worth buying a new motherboard with AGP for that video card.

Is your 1 gig ram DDR or DDR2? Im guessing DDR.

It's possible to upgrade for <=200 but probably not worth it.

I think your options are basically:

1) AMD X2 on a socket 939 motherboard
As long as make sure its agp and not pci-e, you should be able to reuse everything. Probably easiest to find and will run you like ~$130.

2) Pentium D on a socket 775 motherboard
-775 motherboards that support agp and ddr are getting tough to find.
Those you will find will probably only support Pentium D - Think very similar to the processor you have now just times 2. Similar price to option 1.

I would continue saving until you have enough to purchase a new Core Duo motherboard, ram, cpu, and PCI-E card. DDR2 ram and PCI-E tends to cost less than DDR and AGP nowadays.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2007-12-02, 6:17 AM #3
Save. Upgrading with an AGP slot is like buying a brand new car with the tires blown. Sure, it might get you down the street if you really want it to, but where will you be when you need a car in a couple months?

But I'd save about another 300. You could score a Conroe setup with 1gb of DDR2 at least and an 8800GT/3870, whichever floats your boat.
D E A T H
2007-12-02, 10:08 AM #4
Cool thanks guys. Thats what I needed to know.
2007-12-02, 10:17 AM #5
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Save. Upgrading with an AGP slot is like buying a brand new car with the tires blown. Sure, it might get you down the street if you really want it to, but where will you be when you need a car in a couple months?

But I'd save about another 300. You could score a Conroe setup with 1gb of DDR2 at least and an 8800GT/3870, whichever floats your boat.

This man speaks truth.

↑ Up to the top!