Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I wiped my MBR and Partition table.
I wiped my MBR and Partition table.
2004-08-01, 1:37 PM #1
And my brother got it back using a program called TestDisk.
It looked at my disk and gave me all the partitions, all the files there and everything. My brother told it to rebuild the MBR and partition table and it did. Worked beautifully.

Right now im going to start backing up stuff to format. I dont think I trust it that much.

How did I do it? Grub mis-configured. Wiped out the MRB/PT. Comepletely. The Windows XP CD crashed, the Windows 2000 CD using fixmbr and fixboot said "your computer is stuffed buddy". Nothing worked. Then we loaded up part.exe and it showed us all the partitions. Mangled slightly, but they were there. So my brother looked around and found a couple of programs and that eventually fixed it.

PARTY TIME! YAAAAA! NO MORE LINUX ON MY MAIN MACHINE! YAAAAAAAA

Though to be honest, it was my fault.

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-01, 1:50 PM #2
LILO > *
GRUB < *

------------------

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-01, 1:50 PM #3
1. Boot linux boot disc
2. Chroot into system
3. /sbin/lilo
4. ???
5. Profit!

------------------
Your humble opinion is wrong.
2004-08-01, 1:59 PM #4
I do that all the time at work. Loads of fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Wanna screw up a linux system? Run this as root...

Code:
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda

or...

dd -if /dev/zero -of /dev/hda

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!

[This message has been edited by GBK (edited August 01, 2004).]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!