Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rise of the Video Game
Rise of the Video Game
2007-12-05, 9:48 PM #1
I'm watching it right now (recorded it the other day) and it's really interesting. It's the history of videogames after they moved from 2D into 3D and a lot of the controversy around them.

Anyone else watch this on the Discovery Channel?
2007-12-05, 10:00 PM #2
Uhhh nope.
2007-12-05, 10:01 PM #3
I've been watching the series, and actually got into a small argument with someone else about it. They felt that it's been doing a horrible job -- that the series is wholly mis informative, that it's self-indulgent for the designers, and such. I think, generally, the first episode did a good job of covering the basic history pre-'85, and while the other episodes so far haven't been as good, I don't believe they're generally misinforming or self-indulgent. There are exceptions (for example, I feel they should have drawn more from Rules of Play, which better addresses some of the points they make, and the EA guy is certainly self-indulgent).

Another point, in my opinion, is that we're not the audience meant to see this. We're likely not going to get anything new out of this, and what points we feel have not been made and what points we feel should have been made more would not work for the audience they're aiming for in this program. Discovery channel is not a substitute for academia (which we in many ways are at this point in time), and I don't think it's mis informative.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-12-06, 6:15 AM #4
I've never even heard of this, but it's reminding me of one of G4's old shows, Icons. And now I miss Portal again.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-12-06, 8:47 AM #5
We definitely aren't the right audience to see this.

It's also annoying when old people are all, "lawl, if you can believe it, back in the OLD DAYS, we used punchcard computers and had to wait in line for the mainframe."

And then when young people are all, "lawl, I can't imagine how people were able to write papers back in the old days -- I mean, did they have to write evrything out by hand?? oh wait, they had typewriters, but still?!?! how could they send documents without e-mail? how did they LIVE?!"

:suicide:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-12-06, 9:08 AM #6
I saw the first episode, and while it wasn't anything new I did enjoy it.
But I didn't know it was a series and I don't have cable at my house now so I can't watch it.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-12-06, 10:10 AM #7
I'm not watching it, but I do find this stuff interesting. I've got a copy of Game Over lying around somewhere at home that I got free from a magazine, which was an interesting read.
2007-12-06, 10:24 AM #8
This would be like WWII veterans watching some armchair general document the Normandy invasion.
Alot of "That didn't happen" "wtf" "who is this kid?" and *turns TV off*.

↑ Up to the top!