Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A western's perspective of Thailand
A western's perspective of Thailand
2004-07-31, 10:09 AM #1
Well I'm finally back from my trip to Bangkok and Phukett. So anything interesting happened at Massassi? I noticed that we now have ranks dealing with jedi under our name. Anyway, below is my impression of the Bangkok, broken into several categories.

People
Pretty nice people, but then again it could be because I'm a "rich" American tourist (more on the rich part later). Generally speaking, the people are much shorter compared to the U.S. I'm only about 5'7'' or 5'8'' and yet I'm taller then 75% of them. I noticed that alot of the girls wear high heels, I guess they're conscientious of their shortness or something. A majority of the people I seen are super thin (although it's still hard to find size 27 pants). Too bad more people in America aren't thin like them. Contrarily to popular belief, I did not see that many prostitutes. Some guy on the street did try to hand me a pamplet so I can "meet" them though. Of course I didn't take it because....
1. It's a family vacation
2. Morality
3. AIDs

Currency and shopping
1 dollar is equilvalent to about 40 Baqs, which is quite alot for them. At a food court located in a shopping mall, you can get a plate of fried rice for 35 Baqs. However, bigger restaurants do usually cost more. Clothing and jewelery is pretty inexpensive. Unfortunately, electronics are pretty much the same price as the U.S. There are alot of pirated clothing and electronics.

Food
It seems that the Thai people enjoy eating spicy and sweet stuff. Because I'm not partial on sweets (I'm one of the few who doesn't really like deserts like pie and cakes) and spicy food, I did not throughly enjoyed Thai food as much as other Asian crusine (Chinese and Vietnameze). One thing I didn't like about their food is the meager portion. I have to order 2 or 3 plates of food sometimes to satisfy my hunger. Beef is very expensive over here as opposed to the U.S. It isn't as good either. I was wary of eating any chicken because of that Asian bird flu epidemic.

Sanitation
Surprisingly, Bangkok is pretty clean. There's not a dropped paper in sight in shopping malls, restaurants, and hotels. Dare I say their public restrooms are even cleaner then the U.S.? I'm not too sure about the food though, since I did get food poisoning from one restaurant.

Cinema
It only costs 80-100 Baqs ($2-3) for a standard ticket. The price does differ depending on the day of the week and the time. Also the type of seats affect the price, there's a VIP room with opera chairs and the ticket costs 200 baqs ($5). Unlike my local cinema, when you buy a ticket, you also select a seat. So it's like not like the first come first serve. Are there any theaters in the U.S. that do this?

School students
Students have to wear uniforms to school. While I do know that they school all year around, one thing does kind of bother me; why aren't these kids in these shopping malls at school? I see alot of them wandering around the shopping malls during all day.

Overall, it's an interesting place to visit, but I would never want to comeback because I hate having to endure the 19 hours flight.
2004-07-31, 10:16 AM #2
Awesome, have any pictures?

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-31, 11:33 AM #3
I was going to read you're whole post, but bah, Phukett.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

On a side note, anyone ever read/heard of Bangkok 9?

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side

[This message has been edited by Evil_Tofu (edited July 31, 2004).]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-31, 12:39 PM #4
Its good that they are "thin." I assume they don't eat as much processed sugars, fat, chemicals, bio-enhanced crap as Westerners do. :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-31, 5:27 PM #5
Mmmm, Thai food...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-31, 6:15 PM #6
I had a "Thai Salmon Sizzler" at a restaurant last night.... mmmmmmm....

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-08-01, 2:22 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
I was going to read you're whole post, but bah, Phukett.
</font>

Heh, I pronounced the name of that place the same exact way you did when I went there (the beaches are quite beautiful). It's pronounced more along side of "ful ket".

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Awesome, have any pictures?</font>

I'll try to find one without me in it.

Oh I forgot to mention more about the theater. Before the movie starts, you have to stand up and "pay your respect" to the king. Basically they show these small pictures of the king with a background consisting of an overhead rainy forest. After about 1.5 minutes, the rain subsides and something in Thai appears next to a picture of the king. I personally hated this, I was tempted to sit and not stand.
2004-08-01, 2:38 PM #8
All I know about Thailand is that, if you go, you'd best beware of Sagat, the one-eyed fighting champion, lest you get roped into some sort of deathmatch.

------------------
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
I live in the weak, and the wounded.

↑ Up to the top!