Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Atlantis
2007-12-08, 1:08 AM #1
So.. we're half way through season 4.. and despite the cast changes, i think its been a pretty decent season thus far.. quite a few awesome episodes.. im excited about the second half.

Whats everyone else's impression?
2007-12-08, 7:19 AM #2
Kaylee's hotter in this series.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-08, 8:35 AM #3
I agree with MysteriousSith and Wolfy. I don't even notice that Weir is gone actually, which says a lot about how she and Carter are both bit characters beyond the point of bit-iness.

Too much replicator and not enough wraith though.
2007-12-08, 8:37 AM #4
That new commander that replaced Wier, Samantha or something, is pretty good. I like her better than Wier. Wier always sort of annoyed me.
2007-12-08, 8:42 AM #5
Yes, that "one of the main characters from the show this one is based on" is indeed a good character. :confused:
2007-12-08, 8:51 AM #6
I haven't seen the last four or five episodes, I've been meaning to catch up.

Atlantis isn't bad but the Wraith are a lame villain to start, and then they decided to be unoriginal and bring in "new" replicators which just so happen function exactly like the other ones despite being completely different. So unless they bridge the gap (and say, explain the origins of the replicator girl from SG-1), it's pretty lame.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-12-08, 8:51 AM #7
The person who replaced Dr. Wier. You'd know if you actually watched the series.

I think her name is Samantha Carter.
2007-12-08, 8:52 AM #8
I'm glad they've been moving the plot along quickly instead of wasting time with filler episodes. In my opinion the ones on Atlantis had never been very good anyways. I guess this is probably just a by-product of having twice the effects budget to work with; they can fill every episode with tons of CGI and explosions (which are of course an integral part of plot).

I really really like the direction this season has gone, because there's just so much they could do with it. Will they finally be forced to ally with the wraith? Will they figure out how to deactivate all the replicators Dakara-style (and then have it become a race with the wrath to see who can jack the most replicator battleships? [they aren't made from replicator bricks, right?])? Or maybe they'll discover that the replicators are programmed to deactivate once the wraith are gone and then will throw in on the side of the replicators?
Stuff
2007-12-08, 8:53 AM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You'd know if you actually watched the series.

Oh this is so ironic it hurts.

Obi, Samantha Carter was one of the main characters in Stargate SG-1, the show that Stargate Atlantis is based on. That's what Jon was talking about.
2007-12-08, 9:12 AM #10
I loved SG-1 but haven't yet watched this. Should I?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-12-08, 9:17 AM #11
Uh, yes?
2007-12-08, 11:09 AM #12
Originally posted by Emon:
So unless they bridge the gap (and say, explain the origins of the replicator girl from SG-1), it's pretty lame.

Pretty sure the replicators in Atlantis came first (story wise, not episdoe wise), they were created to fight the wraith, when they abandoned atlantis and went back to earth, one of the scientist's that created the replicators moved to that planet in SG-1 and created the android Reese in the hopes that maybe she'll be the missing link in the replicator coding that malfunctioned and turned the replicators against the ancients.

But she was flawed and started creating little replicators out of metal to protect her and give her company, the replicators killed everyone on that planet and moved on in search of more materials to replicate, eventually the asgard found them, studied them and then wound up in a war with them, placing them in a time statis, they managed to evolve to a state of humanoid likeness similar to their orginal Pegasus counterparts.

Thats the replicators explained.
The Gas Station
2007-12-08, 11:18 AM #13
Originally posted by Grant:

I agree, that is an excellent theory and I hope they actually explain it in the show at some point.
2007-12-08, 12:04 PM #14
Wraith are lame, and the replicators are old hat, but I love the characters so I love watching every week.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-08, 12:05 PM #15
Oh this is so ironic it hurts.

Obi, Samantha Carter was one of the main characters in Stargate SG-1, the show that Stargate Atlantis is based on. That's what Jon was talking about.

Except, I've never seen SG1, and we're talking bout Atlantis, so at best his post was an example of very poor communication.
2007-12-08, 12:09 PM #16
I have to start watching Atlantis.
They put Carter in there? Well that's a plus.
2007-12-08, 12:31 PM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I agree, that is an excellent theory and I hope they actually explain it in the show at some point.

It's not theory. Everything in Grant's post comes from the two shows.
Pissed Off?
2007-12-08, 2:32 PM #18
Including the bit about one of the scientists who worked on the Ancient replicator project creating Reese? I'd have remembered that.
2007-12-08, 3:14 PM #19
stargate <3
2007-12-08, 3:26 PM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Except, I've never seen SG1, and we're talking bout Atlantis, so at best his post was an example of very poor communication.

And the fact he threw quotes around part of what he said wasn't a dead giveaway that he was sarcastic?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-12-08, 3:39 PM #21
Including the bit about one of the scientists who worked on the Ancient replicator project creating Reese? I'd have remembered that.

Yeah, me too. I've seen all of SG-1 and Atlantis up until the last few episodes.

Obi, you should really watch SG-1. Not only is it pretty essential, but it's far better than Atlantis, overall.
2007-12-08, 3:47 PM #22
Yeah SG-1 is great. Plus its relatively cheap to buy nowadays.

Walmart -- a whole season = $20 a pop.
2007-12-08, 3:47 PM #23

It is suggested in the Reese episode IIRC.

Also this is an incredibly advanced piece of alien technology, furthermore
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-12-08, 4:00 PM #24
Yeah, me too. I've seen all of SG-1 and Atlantis up until the last few episodes.

Obi, you should really watch SG-1. Not only is it pretty essential, but it's far better than Atlantis, overall.

I know it. I've actually been planning on it, except I just don't have the time.
2007-12-08, 4:09 PM #25
Originally posted by Nomad§oul:
Yeah SG-1 is great. Plus its relatively cheap to buy nowadays.

Walmart -- a whole season = $20 a pop.

You should talk to Anovis; I hear he got a really good deal on Stargate DVDs.
Stuff
2007-12-08, 4:13 PM #26
Originally posted by Simbachu:
It is suggested in the Reese episode IIRC.

They suggest a "human scientist," nothing about an Ancient or about trying to figure out why their first replicators failed.
2007-12-08, 4:14 PM #27
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Kaylee's hotter in this series.

o.O

Damnit, now I need to watch it...
woot!
2007-12-08, 4:15 PM #28
Just watched last night's ep. Thinking about doubles and manufactured clones makes me want to say "Comtriyah!" :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-12-08, 6:05 PM #29

Obi, you should really watch SG-1 [up to season 7...maybe a bit of 8]. Not only is it pretty essential, but it's far better than Atlantis, overall.

Addendum to his words.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-08, 8:08 PM #30
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Just watched last night's ep. Thinking about doubles and manufactured clones makes me want to say "Comtriyah!" :P

Heh, I just watched that episode two nights ago.

Just finished watching SGA on iTunes. Is that mid-season cliffhanger?

I think my favorite part was at the end, when the screen goes black and you hear more "blips" appearing and McKay going "crap". :awesome:
And to really put myself in the minority here, in the episode, I thought Jewel looked odd in the face for some reason.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-12-08, 8:17 PM #31
Yeah, the ending was nice. I don't think they've ever done anything post-fade before.
And that was 4x10, could be the break. I caught it online also, so I didn't see if there was "next on Stargate" afterwards.
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-12-08, 8:20 PM #32
Not mid season. Just last of '07. It's a short holiday break, then they're back in January. That's the way I understood it at least.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-12-08, 8:34 PM #33
Well that's good then, I hated waiting for months for them to finish a season.
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-12-08, 9:23 PM #34
Quote:
You should talk to Anovis; I hear he got a really good deal on Stargate DVDs.

Yes, but when your watching at 3am on a saturday night and you just finished the last of the season, theres nothing like jumping in the car for a quick ride to wallyworld for some instant gratification. =D
2007-12-09, 1:47 AM #35
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I think my favorite part was at the end, when the screen goes black and you hear more "blips" appearing and McKay going "crap". :awesome:

yeah.. that was funny... i also thought the scenes with the two Mckays was hilarious
2007-12-09, 2:17 AM #36
They suggest a "human scientist," nothing about an Ancient or about trying to figure out why their first replicators failed.

the ancient who built Reese would have looked like a human to any other human in the galaxy, we are their second evolution after all.

as for the specific, I can't recall the exact episodes, but I'm sure McKay makes reference to Reese, but the story goes that when the ancients left Pegasus, they went to milky way, a scientist tried to re-create a missing link possibly, an android that can control the aggressive nanites. it failed, killed the planet and the bugs left to destroy other worlds.

The theory is proven by several factors.

1. The human form replicators evolved into the exact same way as Pegasus replicators.

2. The Pegasus replicators (asurans) are over 10,000 years old.

3. When O'neill made the replicator disruptor using the ancient database, it makes sense, since the ancients would be familiar with replicators already and know how to disrupt them.

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/races/r/replicators.shtml
The Gas Station
2007-12-09, 8:16 AM #37
Your theory does make sense, yes, but it's not explicitly stated in the series. I agree it's probably what happened, but it's yet to be definite. They could still screw it up. I doubt they will, but you get the idea. We don't really know yet, is my point.
2007-12-09, 8:28 PM #38
I agree with MysteriousSith and Wolfy. I don't even notice that Weir is gone actually, which says a lot about how she and Carter are both bit characters beyond the point of bit-iness.

Actually I noticed how Carter isn't even in some episodes? Doesn't make much sense in the context where she is supposed to be making the big decisions (in those episodes Sheppard does), but I suppose they needed her for the SG-1 movies around the same time.

So unless they bridge the gap (and say, explain the origins of the replicator girl from SG-1), it's pretty lame.

They already did that in SG-1. There was an entire episode about it. I think it was in Season 7...

It is a bit lame but they are different enough that I can forgive the writers. It gives them a chance to do some things they didn't get a chance to do with the SG-1 replicators. Of course, the fact that the last episode in which they did happens to be an Atlantis port of SG-1's first season "Tin Man" doesn't help, but Friday's episode does expand the Atlantis universe a bit and fills in some important plot points including hanging threads from 10x02 ( Wier's capture ) and "The Seer" (if you've seen it you know).

Originally posted by kyle90:
I'm glad they've been moving the plot along quickly instead of wasting time with filler episodes. In my opinion the ones on Atlantis had never been very good anyways. I guess this is probably just a by-product of having twice the effects budget to work with; they can fill every episode with tons of CGI and explosions (which are of course an integral part of plot).

They didn't have twice the budget, they shot two direct-to-DVD movies too. Also the SG-1 actors said they went all out with the movies as far as sets and effects and stuff.

Originally posted by kyle90:
I really really like the direction this season has gone, because there's just so much they could do with it. Will they finally be forced to ally with the wraith? Will they figure out how to deactivate all the replicators Dakara-style (and then have it become a race with the wrath to see who can jack the most replicator battleships? [they aren't made from replicator bricks, right?])? Or maybe they'll discover that the replicators are programmed to deactivate once the wraith are gone and then will throw in on the side of the replicators?

Only replicators themselves are made from the nanites. Their buildings and ships and such are made of normal materials. That last bit you said makes sense, and would explain why the replicators were intentionally putting off battling the Wraith, as stated in their introductory episode . But it can't be that easy. Especially since they could never be sure that they killed all the Wraith (one survived somewhere, hiding out, who knows?) and such they could keep themselves online forever with that loophole.

Pretty sure the replicators in Atlantis came first (story wise, not episdoe wise), they were created to fight the wraith, when they abandoned atlantis and went back to earth, one of the scientist's that created the replicators moved to that planet in SG-1 and created the android Reese in the hopes that maybe she'll be the missing link in the replicator coding that malfunctioned and turned the replicators against the ancients.

But she was flawed and started creating little replicators out of metal to protect her and give her company, the replicators killed everyone on that planet and moved on in search of more materials to replicate, eventually the asgard found them, studied them and then wound up in a war with them, placing them in a time statis, they managed to evolve to a state of humanoid likeness similar to their orginal Pegasus counterparts.

As for who came first, Emon was referring to in concept and in writing. Replicators were well established before Atlantis started airing.

Interesting theory. The only thing I find wrong with it is that the android was specifically made to create replicators (under her control). Any scientist who worked on the Ancient Replicators wouldn't have allowed her such unrestricted replication (not after what happened the last time).

Originally posted by Chewbubba:

Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
yeah.. that was funny... i also thought the scenes with the two Mckays was hilarious

I also enjoyed these bits.

3. When O'neill made the replicator disruptor using the ancient database, it makes sense, since the ancients would be familiar with replicators already and know how to disrupt them.

Interesting point. However, he was linked with an Asgard computer when he made the weapon, which would have had lots of useful sensor data for him to draw on, using general knowledge from the Ancient database to construct a weapon. However, then there is the problem of why the ARGs made using that first gun's specs work on Ancient replicators... the ARGs could be an improved version that are designed to counteract Milky Way replicators' ability to resist (in case they didn't all get wiped out) and with such an ability to affect any bonds between replicator cells... and the fact that replicator cells are similar to nanites... they are also vulnerable.

Also if the replicators were similar, and the ARG just a slimmed down version of the first gun, the Ancient replicators would have been able to adapt just as quickly to ARGs as the Milky Way ones did (Sheppard even thinks this) but it ends up taking them longer, over several episodes.

2007-12-09, 8:34 PM #39
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Interesting theory. The only thing I find wrong with it is that the android was specifically made to create replicators (under her control). Any scientist who worked on the Ancient Replicators wouldn't have allowed her such unrestricted replication (not after what happened the last time).

I think thats why they created the android, it was more able to follow instructions then the nanites who operated on logic then commands, by controlling the creator of the replicators you controlled them as well. But of course, as with seemly all ancient projects, it failed.
The Gas Station
2007-12-09, 8:39 PM #40
If you want to control something you don't give it an AI and free will. :suicide:

↑ Up to the top!