Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help Settle a Disagreement
Help Settle a Disagreement
2007-12-12, 1:09 AM #1
My roommates and I are in a bit of a disagreement, so I pose to you, the masses, a poll to settle the conflict.

If you get the first 60 stars out of all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy (the minimum required to defeat Bowser) have you beaten the game?

Yes or No
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2007-12-12, 3:50 AM #2
To be honest, I'm not the type to say you need to have gotten 100% completion in order to say you've beaten a game. But 60 out of 120 seems so half-arsed in this specific instance that I have to vote for no.
2007-12-12, 4:02 AM #3
That's like beating Super Mario Bros 1 in under 10 minutes. You didn't really play the game.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-12-12, 4:07 AM #4
You haven't beaten the game til you get 120 stars with Luigi.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-12, 4:10 AM #5
Crap! I vote the wrong thing.
I misread.
Yes: you have beaten the game once you beat the last boss, you just don't have 100% complete.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2007-12-12, 5:51 AM #6
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
That's like beating Super Mario Bros 1 in under 10 minutes. You didn't really play the game.

I don't think that analogy really works. I mean, in order to speedrun through a game, don't you need to know the detailed mechanics of a game?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-12-12, 6:04 AM #7
Originally posted by Echoman:
I don't think that analogy really works. I mean, in order to speedrun through a game, don't you need to know the detailed mechanics of a game?

Nah, like going to the warp pipe in the first world, going straight to world 8 and beating it like that.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-12, 6:18 AM #8
Yes, you've beat the game, but you haven't completed the entire game.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-12, 7:33 AM #9
Beaten, but definitely not completed. Plus, it's fun when you do get all 120 stars.
2007-12-12, 9:24 AM #10
You've completed the story. You have not beaten the game
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-12-12, 12:45 PM #11
Originally posted by mscbuck:
You've completed the story. You have not beaten the game

Yeah. I don't know how I'm supposed to vote if I believe this.
2007-12-12, 12:57 PM #12
Beaten = reached an ending
Completed = 100% found/done everything.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2007-12-12, 12:58 PM #13
Yeah, I guess that's fair. I've always considered a game "beaten" when the final boss is defeated. Just because you didn't go off and do side quests doesn't mean you haven't beaten the game. The rest is a matter of completion.
2007-12-12, 1:13 PM #14
I'm the type to beat a game and never complete everything. All those extra sidequests and items and crap are just not worth it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-12-12, 1:15 PM #15
Haha, the side quests are usually more fun than the main one to me...
(Oblivion, most FF games, Zelda...)
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2007-12-12, 1:17 PM #16
Hah, oblivion's MAIN quest wasn't even good enough for me to finish past Kvatch. And I beat FF7 at like level 45 or something.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-12-12, 7:24 PM #17
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Hah, oblivion's MAIN quest wasn't even good enough for me to finish past Kvatch. And I beat FF7 at like level 45 or something.

It didn't get good until after Kvatch. Kvatch was seriously an hour or so's play into the game, if you actually played straight main quest. I'd reccommend going back and trying to go through it again and pushing on past Kvatch. **** gets nuts fast.

Though I will say Oblivion's main quest was nothing compared to the sidequests and just roaming around plundering.
D E A T H
2007-12-12, 7:27 PM #18
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Beaten = reached an ending
Completed = 100% found/done everything.

What he said.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-12-13, 3:01 AM #19
Originally posted by Freelancer:

The sub quests where better.
Assassins guild was awesome

Ha! a 50/50 tie in the poll... and I had voted the wrong one! ><
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2007-12-13, 5:05 AM #20
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Nah, like going to the warp pipe in the first world, going straight to world 8 and beating it like that.

I don't know. How many people found the warp pipe secrets on an early run though the game?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!