Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Color-blindness
Color-blindness
2007-12-14, 9:08 PM #1
I found (on digg) this page linking to a comparison of regular vision to red/yellow impaired vision. I'm color deficient/blind in yellows and reds, so this was interesting.

Linky

I didn't pay much attention to the images, but on my first look through them all they looked identical to me. All of them. Then my mom and brother came in and pointed out the differences. It's amazing.

The one that really got me was the berries. Apparently there's a significant difference in color, to me (once it was pointed out) it was just slightly different. Oh, and the stoplight (but I could tell green/yellow/red if I needed to).
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-12-14, 9:13 PM #2
Yeah, color blindness has always interested me. One guy on my old paintball team couldn't distinguish between yellows and reds, he had a hell of a time trying to change mods on my marker which used a red/orange/green LED as an indicator.
2007-12-14, 9:25 PM #3
I'm not color blind, but I have a color deficiency. I see all colors normally except I can't see all shades of specific colors.

I can't make out the numbers in the circle test (unless I really concentrate, which is almost painful), but I see all the other pictures fine.
2007-12-14, 9:29 PM #4
Amazing.
2007-12-14, 9:30 PM #5
Color blindness really frightens me for some reason. I have neither blindness nor deficiency.

I can't see 3D images, though.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-14, 9:46 PM #6
I usually don't tell people because then they start asking me "Can you see this color?" because they don't understand that color-blindness isn't only seeing in black and white :\
2007-12-14, 9:48 PM #7
Yeah. If anyone ever asks me what color the grass is again, I think I'm going to kill someone. Even if I want freaking BLIND I'd have figured out the grass is green.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-12-14, 10:22 PM #8
Hey Zloc what colour is Massassi
Stuff
2007-12-14, 10:22 PM #9
The reason this is so freaky and fascinating is that it's practically the same thing as a whole other color existing out there that we've never seen before.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-12-14, 10:25 PM #10
Color-blindness fascinates me as well.

This might be of interest (its about color-blindness and LSD, very cool read):

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=28394
2007-12-14, 10:29 PM #11
Originally posted by Warehouse:
Color-blindness fascinates me as well.

This might be of interest (its about color-blindness and LSD, very cool read):

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=28394

I've seen that before...quite a moving story.

Hallucinagens are amazing things and can do amazing things to you. They can cure migraines, apparently temporarily cure color blindness, and give you a whole new outlook on life.
D E A T H
2007-12-14, 10:40 PM #12
Maybe you could use echolocation?
2007-12-15, 1:23 AM #13
An interesting article. I lived under no illusion they would only see in B/W but I hadn't thought so deeply how strange some things look to them, compared to us with a normal vision.

The traffic light looked funny!
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-12-15, 4:36 AM #14
I just have appalling vision, but one of my friends is colourblind. With purple, or something.

True story.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-12-15, 6:10 AM #15
I had a friend in high school who was colourblind. I'm not sure what colours.

Art class was always fun. He'd ask for a red marker and we'd give him a pink one or something. Ahh, that joke never got old.
2007-12-15, 8:57 AM #16
Jolly Green Giant?
Attachment: 18040/121007_1611_Blindness12.jpg (19,955 bytes)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-15, 10:45 AM #17
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Jolly Green Giant?

More like the Indian Hulk
:master::master::master:
2007-12-15, 10:52 AM #18
Been a while since I took Biology, but I remember hearing a little trivial thing in that class that like 1 out of 10 guys are colorblind.

lolstatistics
2007-12-16, 12:44 PM #19
/me is red/green colourblind.
2007-12-16, 12:46 PM #20
Do you know WHY so many guys are colorblind?

Uh huh. That's right. I went there.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-12-16, 1:15 PM #21
Because we like to :master: all the time?

Because we do.
2007-12-16, 1:16 PM #22
Christmas must seem really bland if you're red/green colourblind.
Stuff
2007-12-16, 2:23 PM #23
Originally posted by kyle90:
Christmas must seem really bland if you're red/green colourblind.

Depends. I had a friend who saw red as green and green as red. So it wouldn't be any different haha.
D E A T H
2007-12-16, 2:26 PM #24
Stephen Colbert's colorblind across the entire visible spectrum.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-16, 5:37 PM #25
For those talking about "other" colors that no one can see...

Apparently there are some women (apparently doesn't happen to men) that actually have 4 color receptors in their eyes, instead of the usual three. It provides them with a greater range of color, and thus they're able to easily distinguish the difference between two shades of a color that most cannot.
2007-12-16, 6:04 PM #26
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Depends. I had a friend who saw red as green and green as red. So it wouldn't be any different haha.

how would your friend know this?
2007-12-16, 6:58 PM #27
Traffic signals. Claiming grass and trees are red.
Pissed Off?
2007-12-16, 7:19 PM #28
Originally posted by Avenger:

Not true, if he saw red as green and vice-versa, he would think red was green, so the grass would still be green to him even if he saw it as we see red.

Damn that's hard to explain.
2007-12-16, 9:05 PM #29
Originally posted by Avenger:

2007-12-16, 9:57 PM #30
There's only two ways I can think of that he could discern whether he was seeing the "true" red or not:

A. He previously had correct color vision, and somehow mysteriously got switched.
B. Going off the idea that "red" is the least distracting color of the eye (which is why it is used in airplane cockpits at night, etc), and that yellow/green is the most vibrant, I assume a test could be constructed to examine his reactions to the colors.
2007-12-17, 4:18 PM #31
Perhaps he was an interior design major and found out after he flunked a semester's worth of courses.
2007-12-17, 5:11 PM #32
Originally posted by Jon`C:
how would your friend know this?

He didn't. We showed him a red shirt and he said it was green, pulled it off with a completely straight face. He was like 12 or 13 or so.

Edit: upon reading it again, I realized I dunno haha. But he did fail to get into the air force a couple years back because he was colorblind, so I assume that had something to do with it. Maybe he saw in green and red at one point and it switched? Doubt that could happen, who knows, weird ****.
D E A T H
2007-12-17, 8:52 PM #33
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
For those talking about "other" colors that no one can see...

Apparently there are some women (apparently doesn't happen to men) that actually have 4 color receptors in their eyes, instead of the usual three. It provides them with a greater range of color, and thus they're able to easily distinguish the difference between two shades of a color that most cannot.

Truth. The article I read said (jokingly, although also seriously) it could explain why women are so insistant that certain clothes don't match, when men literally cannot see the difference.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-12-18, 10:18 PM #34
I guess that explains why some women take so long deciding on what shade of a color of shoes as if it was a frickin' chess move.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!