Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Display errors
Display errors
2007-12-16, 6:58 AM #1
Is anyone else having problems with nVidia's most recent display drivers for GeForce 7 series?

I'm getting random colored pixels across the screen, and following my mouse, and I can't view any video or play any games.

Tried a system restore, that didn't help. Then pulled my card and put it in the other SLI slot on my motherboard. This fixed the problem, as Windows "found new hardware" and installed drivers for it themselves. Then I updated to the more current drivers I downloaded from nVidia, and my screen's forked up again.

I'm about to roll the drivers back to the previously installed version. I'll update when that's done. Meanwhile, anyone have any thoughts?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-12-16, 7:05 AM #2
Perhaps it's just me, but I always tend to try to not install new video drivers if the current one is working and none of my games/anything requires a driver update.

Example, playing World of Warcraft with both the video drivers current and the game version current:

Everything works fine and displays properly.

A new driver comes out but World of Warcraft does not update:

Screws up everything; elongated pixels, messy icon pictures, etc.
2007-12-16, 7:14 AM #3
thank you for your "not helpful" post. :p

Anyway, I rolled back the driver.. Didn't seem to do anything at all.
So I uninstalled the driver and restarted. Device Manager recognizes my video card as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)." And I'm not having the problem. I'm quite sure I'll not be able to play any games though until I install drivers for my video card. And once I do, I'm afraid this issue may return.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-12-16, 7:15 AM #4
Doesn't seem like anyone else cares.

+1
2007-12-16, 7:17 AM #5
pfft.

(btw, video now works in Media Player, but it's ... upside down. :downswords:)

also, windows is running *realllly* slow.

2007-12-16, 8:09 AM #6
anyone happen to have the install program for the just prior version of the drivers for the nVidia 7 series (before 163.75)?

and if so, can you send a copy to my gmail (sarn.cadrill)?

(I'm also trying the beta driver from nVidia)

2007-12-16, 8:14 AM #7
you can get old versions of drivers on nvidia's site
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-12-16, 8:35 AM #8
What version of Windows?
2007-12-16, 1:09 PM #9
Windows XP, pro, but nevermind that. I found older versions of the drivers itself (though not the older version of the control panel), and reinstalled them, and it's still happening.. I'm starting to fear that my card may be no good any longer.

and no, landfish, I don't think you can find older drivers on their site. I spent about an hour looking.

2007-12-16, 1:21 PM #10
I'm also having problems running the directX tests in dxdiag. Most of the display tests fail. I already tried re-installing 9.0c. Is there a way to uninstall directX completely and install from scratch?

2007-12-16, 2:06 PM #11
No, Unless you format/Reinstall.
2007-12-16, 2:22 PM #12
Check if your card is overheating.
2007-12-16, 4:43 PM #13
It shouldn't be Aglar, cause I've had it for quite a while now, and am just now noticing trouble, but how do I check that?

2007-12-16, 5:04 PM #14
I just installed the new drivers & they're working fine here.

There's a temp monitor in the driver software:
Attachment: 18044/temp.jpg (148,370 bytes)
woot!
2007-12-16, 5:33 PM #15
looks like its running a bit hotter, but still within normal guidelines.

You can see a bit of the distortion in the screenshot below.
Attachment: 18045/err.jpg (115,325 bytes)

2007-12-16, 5:38 PM #16
I didn't know you could printscreen artifacts like that. :/
2007-12-16, 5:56 PM #17
Heh, neither did I..
woot!
2007-12-16, 6:06 PM #18
yeh, that's amazing isn't it...

SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT!!!

:P

(I didn't expect it to show up on the screenshot either)

2007-12-16, 6:15 PM #19
Ummm... I had some random blue little artifacts like that that were all up in my 7900 GTX for the past few weeks... fortunately I've got a 3-year at home service clause in my warranty so I got the card replaced and I've got no problems now... couldn't say for sure that it was the card itself and not the drivers, but I'd tried rolling back, updating, and whatnot to no avail.
2007-12-16, 6:20 PM #20
card went bad. 65 at idle is hot, so it was running even hotter under load. it got cooked.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-12-17, 4:59 PM #21
Originally posted by NoESC:
card went bad. 65 at idle is hot, so it was running even hotter under load. it got cooked.

No. 65 at idle is normal for a GPU. Anything over 90 or 100 for a GPU is usually where it starts cooking, and 70+ at idle is where you start seeing overheating problems.

It's odd that it doesn't happen til you install the new version of drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21.html new betas
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html old forcewares

Try whichever you don't have installed and report back.
D E A T H
2007-12-17, 10:09 PM #22
I'm not certain but maybe a chipset driver update?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-17, 11:06 PM #23
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
No. 65 at idle is normal for a GPU. Anything over 90 or 100 for a GPU is usually where it starts cooking, and 70+ at idle is where you start seeing overheating problems.

It's odd that it doesn't happen til you install the new version of drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21.html new betas
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html old forcewares

Try whichever you don't have installed and report back.

I've tried both and tried a few older versions of the drivers as well. When no drivers are installed, I have no trouble (except that I can't do anything). When drivers are installed, I see those pixel issues.

2007-12-18, 3:57 AM #24
if its printscreening artifacts, then i think your problems might just expand beyond a hot video card.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2007-12-18, 10:04 AM #25
Weird. The first thing I'd recommend is what yoshi said... latest stable ones, or if you're using those already, the latest betas.

alpha1: it's gotta be the drivers since the problem goes away with different ones.

I honestly have no idea about this. Try contacting nVidia support?

2007-12-18, 11:34 AM #26
boot to a knoppix cd, when you see the artifacting there as well you will know it is a hardware problem for sure.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-12-18, 11:35 AM #27
Originally posted by alpha1:
if its printscreening artifacts, then i think your problems might just expand beyond a hot video card.

it's normal for it to do that
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-12-18, 11:42 AM #28
Well it seems to be happening with any nVidia drivers now, no matter which version I'm using. But it doesn't happen if I am using the windows default display adapter drivers.

Might it have something to do with the nVidia control panel and/or some setting in it?

2007-12-18, 11:43 AM #29
Originally posted by NoESC:
boot to a knoppix cd, when you see the artifacting there as well you will know it is a hardware problem for sure.

yeah, I thought to do that already.. but I haven't, cause I don't have a knoppix cd on hand, and I'm not on a very fast internet connection, so it would take a while to download. Maybe I'll try it though, cause at this point, I can't get anything else to work.

2007-12-18, 3:16 PM #30
I did try to boot from a beta version of Windows Vista.. but it didn't seem to want to work (would freeze just before the Vista splash screen). Not sure if that's related. I haven't booted to Vista in a long time.

2007-12-18, 4:05 PM #31
Sounds like something is screwed up hardware wise.
2007-12-18, 5:21 PM #32
downloading knoppix.. i seriously think my new card might come from UPS before it finishes.

2007-12-19, 12:20 AM #33
It might also be the CPU. I once had similar artifacts (and some crashing) and it turned out to be a broken CPU.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-12-21, 6:20 PM #34
In case anyone's curious.. I installed the new card, and the problem's gone. So either the card was bad, or some interaction with the 7 series drivers against something else. I'm saving the card, for another system.. (I just don't have the other system yet.)

2007-12-21, 9:15 PM #35
I just recently bought a Geforce 7600 GS and I'm apparently experiencing the same problems with messed up graphics. I get those terrible triangle-like jagged graphics popping all over the screen and a bit of snow pixels. I'll try to upload a video or screenshot in a bit to show you guys the crap I'm getting. It only appears in video games that use directx 8 and up however. Older games that use opengl like Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament seem to be unaffected. I also tried to roll back to older drivers but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Whatever the case maybe, I'm returning my card tomorrow. AGP cards are just too expensive now and I'm better just waiting to get a new system that supports PCI-E anyway.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-12-21, 9:19 PM #36
Here is a screenshot. Not the best example but should give you a clue as to what is going on.
Attachment: 18083/gw026.jpg (95,028 bytes)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-12-22, 2:13 AM #37
Ew Guild Wars.

And most of your tunes are female, you must be gender confursed! :hurr:

↑ Up to the top!