Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is it just me..or is this not the best way to choose who you vote for?
Is it just me..or is this not the best way to choose who you vote for?
2007-12-16, 8:58 AM #1
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/war-vote-dogs-clinton-again/

Quote:
“It’s because I’m a woman, and because it’s about time it’s a woman for president,” she said.

:confused:
woot!
2007-12-16, 9:03 AM #2
Meh. That's one of my big concerns about this election. I think a lot of people are going to choose to/not to vote for a candidate because of their gender or color.

Aside from making a decision on that basis being flat out wrong, it also really throws off election estimates.

And it just pisses me off when a candidate plays one of those cards. >.<
2007-12-16, 9:06 AM #3
Of course it's not. I'd still guess more people will go with the "I CAN'T VOTE FOR X BECAUSE HE'S A REPOOPLICAN/DEMOC-RAT" routine, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-12-16, 9:09 AM #4
You give people too much credit. A lot of it is: "I'm gonna vote for whoever everyone else tells me to vote for!"
2007-12-16, 9:43 AM #5
It's a lot better than that kid who flipped a coin and voted here on massassi. Wasteful.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-16, 9:53 AM #6
Honestly though it's great to see that people are actually considering voting in a woman or a black guy as president. Would have been unimaginable even 50 years ago. I'd like to see an atheist or a gay guy get elected, but I know I won't live that long.
Stuff
2007-12-16, 10:01 AM #7
I don't believe America will ever accept atheism. Religion has lasted too long.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-16, 10:05 AM #8
What if he/she never says there atheist?
2007-12-16, 10:13 AM #9
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
What if he/she never says there atheist?

Impossible. When you run for president you get scrutinized. Any demons you have/had in your closet will be prominately displayed for all of America to see.

Like I said in that one thread, an atheist has a better shot at getting in than a homosexual. Atheists are ignored, homosexuals are hated.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-16, 10:14 AM #10
Then people will assume he/she is christian and it wouldn't be a big deal. I imagine that there have been quite a few athiest presidents in the past, just not many that would have openly declared it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-12-16, 10:19 AM #11
Well, with an atheist there is a risk of changing the government such that there is religious oppression. But that's a risk with any kind of candidate. A Christian candidate may oppress Jews and Muslims (and vice versa).

I think with an atheist there is a good chance of reducing government influence over religious institutions (ie, marriage) and reducing the "special treatment" given to any one religious group. That would be a good thing (separation of church and state).
2007-12-16, 10:41 AM #12
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Well, with an atheist there is a risk of changing the government such that there is religious oppression. But that's a risk with any kind of candidate. A Christian candidate may oppress Jews and Muslims (and vice versa).

I think with an atheist there is a good chance of reducing government influence over religious institutions (ie, marriage) and reducing the "special treatment" given to any one religious group. That would be a good thing (separation of church and state).

Oh I agree. I'm sick and tired of fundies making their damn views as actual law. Mitt Romney scares me. He's much too religious for my taste.

Wanting a bigger government to satiate your religious qualms != conservatism IMO.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-16, 10:41 AM #13
I'm surprised I haven't heard more of that, actually.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-12-16, 10:46 AM #14
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'm surprised I haven't heard more of that, actually.

Heard more of what?
2007-12-16, 11:00 AM #15
I'm voting Barack Obama because he's male.

(Well, in all seriousness, it's either Barack or Republican for me)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-16, 11:03 AM #16
Libertarian?
2007-12-16, 11:22 AM #17
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Heard more of what?

Women saying they're voting for hilary because we need a woman president.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-12-16, 11:25 AM #18
I hear it all the time in person, and almost always I tell the person they're a fool.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-16, 12:22 PM #19
JLee, those people are balanced out by the people who say "I ain't voting for no ***** president!"

Democracy in action
2007-12-16, 1:18 PM #20
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Well, with an atheist there is a risk of changing the government such that there is religious oppression.

Maybe some crazy "militant" atheist, but most atheists are very much in favor of preserving religious freedom.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-12-16, 1:30 PM #21
I hope so. Unfortunately, all the rookie debaters (for any particular group, really) online tend to paint a negative picture.
2007-12-16, 2:25 PM #22
Originally posted by kyle90:
Honestly though it's great to see that people are actually considering voting in a woman or a black guy as president. Would have been unimaginable even 50 years ago. I'd like to see an atheist or a gay guy get elected, but I know I won't live that long.

Thomas Jefferson was a Deist, that's pretty close (in most people's eyes) to atheism. I don't know how much of that part of his life was public knowledge before his death.
2007-12-16, 3:14 PM #23
Lots of the founding fathers were Deist. There really wasn't a lot of Christianity in our original framers until the south was allowed to talk. Interesting how the same people that had just got done trying to justify slavery were now trying to get religion into our nation's framework.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-16, 3:21 PM #24
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Lots of the founding fathers were Deist. There really wasn't a lot of Christianity in our original framers until the south was allowed to talk. Interesting how the same people that had just got done trying to justify slavery were now trying to get religion into our nation's framework.

Most of the signatures were from presbyterians. Or some group to that effect. Point being, most of the signers were not atheist or deist.

Edit: I posted a list a while ago which showed the signers and what religion they followed. I'll see if I can dig her up.
2007-12-16, 3:27 PM #25
That won't disprove my point. A majority were religious, yes. The point I'm making is that inserting religion into our constitution and bill of rights was after the south and a few prominent north Christians started spouting their crap. Most of even the Christians that were signing the documents knew from experience how bad religious symbolism and ideals incorporated within government are.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-16, 11:34 PM #26
Originally posted by JediKirby:
That won't disprove my point. A majority were religious, yes. The point I'm making is that inserting religion into our constitution and bill of rights was after the south and a few prominent north Christians started spouting their crap.

E.g. the Founding Fathers... :ninja:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-12-17, 2:49 AM #27
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Atheists are ignored, homosexuals are hated.

you obviously havent seen what some fundies think of atheists. Some of them think atheists are out to destroy religion, and are the antichrist.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2007-12-17, 7:42 AM #28
I think that's pretty much all fundies.
2007-12-17, 8:18 AM #29
After seeing the video of Hillary 'attempting' to fake a southern accent just because she was in a southern state... that alone put her on my "doesn't deserve to breathe my air" list...
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"

↑ Up to the top!