Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Upgrade to Windows XP
Upgrade to Windows XP
2007-12-16, 9:08 AM #1
http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/archive/2007/12/14/review-windows-xp.aspx

:awesome:
woot!
2007-12-16, 9:21 AM #2
lulz
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-12-16, 10:49 AM #3
Is it just me, or did half the things he complained about seem to be an issue with his computer and not Vista?

I've never even experienced half the stuff he's complaining about, and the rest of it is vastly over-exaggerated. I assume it's supposed to be just a funny article, but man, could have done better than that.
2007-12-16, 10:54 AM #4
I cannot make a big enough wanking motion for that article.

Vista driver support is a helluva lot better than it was initially and even then, it wasn't total ****. I could still have an operational computer with "stock" drivers. You cannot blame Microsoft wholly. MS changed its driver model and made it widely known for like nearly a year. It isn't MS's fault for companies like ATI/nVidia/Creative for sitting on their collective asses in regards to their driver support.

I have rarely experienced such slowdowns on Vista. Most of the **** I do on Vista is blazingly fast. That person needs to actually use the operating system for more than a week to get a feel for it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-16, 11:09 AM #5
wanking motion?
Care to clarify the brit speak?
2007-12-16, 11:14 AM #6
When you're older.
2007-12-16, 11:14 AM #7
You know, like "yank yank"
Or "fap fap fap fap"
Or "oh righty you're so good to me"
2007-12-16, 11:19 AM #8
I know what wanking is, But i fail to see how it applies to not liking an article.
Bah whatever, Sorry i derailed slightly.
2007-12-16, 11:29 AM #9
I hear SP3 is going to be sexy, in related news. 35% times faster than XP...which is interesting as XP is already really really fast.
D E A T H
2007-12-16, 11:37 AM #10
History always repeats itself.

Vista:XP::ME:98
Stuff
2007-12-16, 11:38 AM #11
Service pack 3 eh?
How much longer?
For that matter, when the hell is Vista SP1 coming out?
2007-12-16, 11:45 AM #12
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I cannot make a big enough wanking motion for that article.

Vista driver support is a helluva lot better than it was initially and even then, it wasn't total ****. I could still have an operational computer with "stock" drivers. You cannot blame Microsoft wholly. MS changed its driver model and made it widely known for like nearly a year. It isn't MS's fault for companies like ATI/nVidia/Creative for sitting on their collective asses in regards to their driver support.

I have rarely experienced such slowdowns on Vista. Most of the **** I do on Vista is blazingly fast. That person needs to actually use the operating system for more than a week to get a feel for it.

This.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-12-16, 11:49 AM #13
Originally posted by kyle90:

I disagree vehemently. ME didn't add anything, and only took away features, and was unstable as hell. Vista's perfectly stable--the only problem is all the driver companies said "to hell with it" when they should've been making drivers before release, then threw **** together when the time came. That's been fixed.
D E A T H
2007-12-16, 11:51 AM #14
It's more like Vista:XP::98:95, or Vista:XP::XP:2000.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-12-16, 11:54 AM #15
I agree with JG.

I have no problems with Vista whatsoever.
nope.
2007-12-16, 11:55 AM #16
I guess I should say that I've never actually used Vista.
Stuff
2007-12-16, 12:44 PM #17
SP3 should be out Q1:2008. I've heard rumours Vista SP1 should be out around the same time, or maybe Q2.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-12-16, 12:58 PM #18
Originally posted by kyle90:

ugh ME was the worst OS ever.. I think Bill Gates will vouch for that
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-16, 1:13 PM #19
My old uni roommate still has a machine running ME. I was a bloody nightmare in the summer of 2001, God only knows what it's like now...
2007-12-16, 2:43 PM #20
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
ugh ME was the worst OS ever.. I think Bill Gates will vouch for that

Microsoft Bob
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-12-16, 7:24 PM #21
Sounds like somebody just wanted to jump on the "hate vista" bandwagon with that article.

I've been using Vista since it was released and I love it. I use it daily and I experience no slowdowns or lockups and all my software works fine. The only problem I ever had with it was nVidia's drivers for the 8800. And that wasn;t with Vista, it was with nVidia.
2007-12-16, 8:10 PM #22
Thats funny. I always knew XP was better.
2007-12-16, 8:24 PM #23
Originally posted by BeefCaike:
Thats funny. I always knew XP was better.

Did you even read the thread?
2007-12-16, 10:05 PM #24
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I know what wanking is, But i fail to see how it applies to not liking an article.
Bah whatever, Sorry i derailed slightly.

People who talk crap are often referred to as "wankers."

So when someone is talking crap, and you make a wanking motion with your hand, it indicates to them that you think they are a wanker.

And I bet you thought everyone you've ever talked to just liked to roll dice a lot. :awesome:
2007-12-16, 10:27 PM #25
There's also:

[quote=Encyclopedia Dramatica]In fandom, wank is used metaphorically to refer to fans who have gotten so carried away that they are getting off on their egos in public.[/quote]

...which I think applies to this.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-12-17, 12:12 AM #26
Also:
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-12-17, 12:48 AM #27
That was funny.

YOU NEVER MAKE THEM TOUCH!!
2007-12-17, 1:00 AM #28
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

I'm not going to debate the relative merits of the article, but Vista's I/O performance flaws are simply inexcusable. KTM doesn't play well with the scheduler, the multimedia subsystem throttles devices that raise a large number of interrupts (like network cards), basic file manipulation operations use TxF where they really shouldn't have to (causing lockups, extremely long "calculation" times before the operation begins, and making it impossible to cancel the operation). The umbrella name for these issues is "Vista's Long Goodbye."

This is a direct consequence of Microsoft's developers using internal APIs without understanding what they are meant to do, as well as Microsoft's attempts to control the copying and renaming of DRM-protected files into ring0 (meanwhile everybody competent is working on moving filesystems into user mode).

The only other problem I have with Vista is its complete and baffling lack of user interface consistency. Neither of these issues are things you can just "get a feel for" in a couple of weeks, unless by "get a feel for" you mean "sigh and get used to." I'm glad you don't notice all of the problems you're having but meanwhile the rest of the world is refusing to adopt Vista for very good reasons.

**** having Visual Studio lock up for 20 seconds every time I open a source file.
2007-12-17, 4:04 AM #29
I wonder if Massassi keeps backlogs far enough back to when XP was released? I'd be interested to re-read some of the responses way back then.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2007-12-17, 5:50 AM #30
XP and Leopard seems to be a fairly good combination at the moment.
2007-12-17, 6:22 AM #31
Originally posted by Jon`C:
(causing lockups, extremely long "calculation" times before the operation begins, and making it impossible to cancel the operation).

They fixed that in one of those compatibility/speed update packs.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-12-17, 7:48 AM #32
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I wonder if Massassi keeps backlogs far enough back to when XP was released? I'd be interested to re-read some of the responses way back then.

Yeah, some of this stuff does sound familiar. I know I myself avoided XP for a very long time, I don't think I had it installed on my main PC until I got a free copy through MSDN:AA in fall of 2005. Up until then I was still using Windows 2000.

Who knows what'll happen with vista. It would be nice if it caused a massive exodus to OS X or Linux, but I think the most likely future is that over the course of time and service packs MS will get it to the point where the public accepts it. Or, maybe it'll be the ME of this generation and everyone'll just jump to whatever MS's next offering is.
2007-12-17, 7:58 AM #33
Vista is already accepted in places that aren't filled with :hurr:

Businesses are already beginning to adopt it, and I am sure that will go up exponentially over the next year, especially after the service pack lands.

Almost all new PCs have Vista on them. You have to request XP to be installed in nearly every case.

Having used Vista for over a year now, there's no way it's even remotely comparable to the absolute crap that was ME.
2007-12-17, 4:16 PM #34
For what it's worth, my company's moving to Vista. I can't vouch for problems with Visual Studio beyond my own personal use (and I've not come across the problems Jon`C describes), but it serves my purposes while I'm trolling around the backends of our servers.

Of course, if you ever went an experience of horrible operating systems, I suggest you try OpenVMS. Ugh.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!