Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sweeney Todd
Sweeney Todd
2007-12-21, 9:25 PM #1
Surprised I beat SAJN to this.

Anyway, I saw Sweeney Todd today. I originally heard the Broadway revival cast after I heard that Burton was helming the film adaptation.

Overall the film was alright, basically how I envisioned the musical in my head, though the film felt a bit flat. It didn't really take advantage of the camera except for a few sweeping shots. It is visually beautiful but then, it was just how I saw the musical in the first place in my head so it wasn't mind-blowing.

The girl I went to see it with, however, did like it a lot. So I guess the film just might fall flat to fans of the original piece given cut songs and nothing new offered.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-12-21, 9:44 PM #2
first of all its an opera, not a musical.

and its awesome.

first time i saw it was on PBS with angela lansbury as Mrs. Lovett. then i saw it at the cleveland playhouse a couple years ago. i just love the story. its hilarious.

i'm hoping the movie doesnt suck.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-12-21, 10:33 PM #3
Absolutely amazing. I loved it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-21, 10:47 PM #4
Originally posted by Ford:
first of all its an opera, not a musical.

Stephen Sondheim would disagree with you.
Its a musical :p
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-12-21, 11:08 PM #5
an opera is basically anything with constant music - generally constant singing, however in some operas characters can speak as long as there's still musical accompaniment. That wasn't the case with Sweeney Todd as far as I can remember though I wasn't really paying enough attention to music vs non music sections.

Incredibly dark, but so is the show. It was good stuff.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-12-22, 11:02 AM #6
Pfft, it was an old general story from the 19th century first, then a film in 1936.

:colbert:
nope.
2007-12-22, 10:56 PM #7
I didn't know anything about Sweeney Todd going into it, except that part of it was in Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl, providing further evidence that Tim Burton is stealing Smith's ideas (see An Evening With Kevin Smith).

This movie was great fun. Dark humor at its best, especially the song when they decide what to do with the bodies. Throughout the movie, I kept saying to myself, "there's no way this will end well. There will be no happy ending here." But, I wasn't prepared for how sad it would really be. I didn't realize the old woman was his wife until right when he killed her, which I guess was the point, but that really bummed me out. I was glad his daughter lived, though.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-12-23, 8:49 AM #8
I like that even those who thought they were doing good by getting revenge got what was coming to them, and those who did nothing wrong (Johanna and Anthony) lived. In the musical Toby went insane but in the movie they didn't show that.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-12-23, 7:23 PM #9
I loved it. It ended and I considered seeing the next showing. I've had the Sweeney Todd broadway CD for a while, and when I heard they were making it a movie with Depp/Burton I flipped. I loved it. I'm so happy *peck* I could *peck* *peck*
Think while it's still legal.
2007-12-23, 7:30 PM #10
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to, and it's definitely a musical.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!