Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [tech] Hidden text bug in IE6
[tech] Hidden text bug in IE6
2007-12-26, 5:37 PM #1
Lately, I've had Internet Explorer 6 cause text to be hidden (until you highlight it or scroll) in one paragraph block on my web site. The affected document is contact.php. The bug affects the first paragraph on contact.php (the one that starts with "Fields marked with a *... ") and also affects various php output from the document that handles the form data. (sent.php)

The affected text is enclosed in a regular paragraph tag, and here's my CSS definition for P:

Code:
 p{

font-family:  verdana, arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10pt;

font-weight: normal;

color: #000000;

margin-bottom: 1em;

text-align:justify;

}

According to W3C, my CSS is valid and the document in question validates as XHTML 1.0 Strict, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

The problem does not occur in IE7, (or any other browser I've tested with) so is it just one of the problems endemic to IE6? I've googled for it and come up with nothing.

Although I hate that browser as much as any other developer, I still see plenty of people using it. Therefore, I have no choice but to develop for it.
2007-12-26, 7:15 PM #2
I haven't seen the problem proported but what I saw made me cringe. Those text boxes should be all left aligned and all labels right aligned so you don't have zig-zagging text boxes.

This alone would make me VERY leary of hiring you.
Attachment: 18113/bad_design.gif (4,581 bytes)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-26, 7:25 PM #3
Say hello to the IE peekaboo bug. Google it.

And frankly, your site design puts me off.
2007-12-26, 7:25 PM #4
It looks sorta like a dancing mummy.
2007-12-26, 7:34 PM #5
Your email address validation script is wrong, and does not accept many valid email addresses.
2007-12-26, 7:36 PM #6
I had some time to look at your site design...
Quote:
[19:24] Brandon: Lesse here.
[19:24] Brandon: No rounded title graphic.
[19:25] Brandon: Whole thing should be centered.
[19:25] Brandon: People like to look at the center of things. That's where the eyes naturally are.
[19:25] Brandon: Gradients = suck
[19:25] Brandon: Well...
[19:26] Brandon: If used properly
[19:26] Brandon: Gradient text = suck.
[19:26] Brandon: Looks like it was NOT tested well in IE.
[19:26] Brandon: Biggest mistake of web design ever.
[19:26] CoolMatty: yep
[19:26] Brandon: Design for IE first despite your loathesome for it. 70% of the internet uses IE. Get over it.
[19:27] CoolMatty: I only design for IE7, but I also don't do it for a business :p
[19:27] Brandon: I design for IE7 too.
[19:27] Brandon: IE6 = suck.
[19:28] Brandon: Tabs should be below logo.
[19:29] Brandon: Again, eyes go to the middle. Put the important **** in the middle.
[19:30] CoolMatty: actually, they go to the left
[19:30] Brandon: Really?
[19:31] CoolMatty: yeah, because we read webpages like we read text
[19:32] Brandon: True. But I'm talking about what first grabs your attention. Webpages are short bouts of text designed to advertise/display something. It's not like opening a book or reading a paper.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-12-26, 8:29 PM #7
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Your email address validation script is wrong, and does not accept many valid email addresses.

Give me an example, and I'll see what I can do to fix it.
2007-12-26, 8:43 PM #8
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Give me an example, and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Google it. You don't work to RFC specs, period.
2007-12-26, 9:59 PM #9
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

This alone would make me VERY leary of hiring you.

But would you charge him a finder's fee?
2007-12-26, 10:32 PM #10
hahaha, I remember that.
2007-12-27, 12:53 AM #11
We've already established that Pagewizard is not much of a web designer or programmer.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-27, 6:06 AM #12
Step 1: http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

Step 2: Most of JediGandalf's silly quote is true, but you should never develop for IE6 first. Always design for the browser that gets things right first, if you're not completely clueless you'll usually find that it works fine in IE7 and IE6 without any hacks. IE5 is always trouble but nobody cares about that. There are a few situations where sites need completely different solutions for IE6 and IE7 but they're pretty rare.

Generally IE bugs are triggered by doing something in a more complicated way than you need to, the more divs and layout rules you start introducing the more likely you are to hit one of the numerous bugs.

Biggest solution to all IE problems: Never use padding when you could use margins, never use floats when you could use another positioning method.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-12-27, 10:17 AM #13
Originally posted by JediKirby:
We've already established that Pagewizard is not much of a web designer or programmer.

Or a super webministrator mcsuper IT guy.

↑ Up to the top!