Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Battle of the XBOX360s.. (need advice)
Battle of the XBOX360s.. (need advice)
2007-12-28, 1:23 PM #1
Alright, I plan to get an Xbox360 sometime in the future, but I can't figure out which one to get. The Elite looks good, but the only real advantage i can see is the larger hard drive, which i cant see myself needing. I mainly like it cuz its black, and am not about to pay an extra $100 for a paint job.

I don't even know what the difference is in the halo addition besides the color... i think its just a pro?

Pro seems to be the best option, but i cant stand white consoles... my Wii is driving me nuts.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2007-12-28, 1:24 PM #2
Get PRO, unless you need the space.

The only special thing about the Halo 3 edition is that everything is green and orange.
2007-12-28, 1:26 PM #3
Get the premium.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-28, 1:27 PM #4
Yeah, the Halo and Elite were more special when the others didn't have HDMI.
2007-12-28, 1:30 PM #5
So they all have an HDMI out now?
2007-12-28, 1:37 PM #6
Yeah, just make sure you read the box. Some stores may still have old stock that doesn't have it.
2007-12-28, 1:39 PM #7
Thanks guys, saved me some green.
2007-12-28, 2:15 PM #8
No problem.
2007-12-28, 2:28 PM #9
And make sure you get one that was manufactured in the last six months or so. Should have the latest hardware in it. As long as it's got HDMI out though you should be safe.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 2:36 PM #10
They put the new hardware out in waves... first the HDMI port, then the DVD drives, and finally the chips.

I got one with HDMI, thinking the rest was new too, but now. :(

Basically, if it comes in the Pro packaging with Forza and Ultimate Alliance, it should be good.
2007-12-28, 3:30 PM #11
What changed with the DVD drive and chips?
2007-12-28, 3:36 PM #12
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
but i cant stand white consoles... my Wii is driving me nuts.

CLOSET RACIST. :hist101:
DO NOT WANT.
2007-12-28, 3:38 PM #13
the larger hard drive could come in handy down the road... some games can get pretty space heavy with their downloadable content

What changed with the DVD drive and chips?

the drive is quieter (don't know when they started with the benq drive but i'd bet it was after mine was made and i never notice mine being too loud... i guess people only play their 360 with the sound off) and the new chips are supposed to run cooler... what people are also forgetting is that before the new chips started showing up MS upgraded the cooling setup...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-12-28, 3:48 PM #14
Actually I did some research on this before I got mine. If you really want the new version of the premium/pro/whatever, you need to look at the box and make sure it has a 175W power supply, not the 203W. Apparently, that's the only way to be really sure you're getting the new one. A lot of the ones with the forza/ultimate alliance bundle are still the old ones, they just put a sticker on the box and shove the game in there. Supposedly the newer ones are a lot quieter and they make less heat... If the one I got is quieter, the old ones must be really loud.
2007-12-28, 3:49 PM #15
BTW: Mine says I have 10GB free of 20GB, but I haven't put anything on there except save games for a few games! I don't know what's taking up so much space, maybe the demo disks I got copied stuff over? Weird. Maybe it's worth getting a bigger HD.
2007-12-28, 3:54 PM #16
Operating system?

The thing also comes preloaded with a bunch of demos and whatnot - delete those and be happy.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-28, 4:12 PM #17
yeah mine came loaded with a bunch of crappy music, some crappy videos (at least one of them was in 720p and just under 1GB) and some other useless junk

now it's all downloaded content and a handful of demos eating up a good chunk of space

plus never forget the "20GB" is using the same definition of GB that all HD manufacturers use... so it's actually something like 18.6GB

and there is no operating system on the hard drive...
2007-12-28, 4:45 PM #18
Well, something is taking up 11 GB of space - I've got a bare dozen themes downloaded, some picture packs, a few games' data, Carcassonne, that Yuris game, and Hexic.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-28, 4:52 PM #19
being that this thing is just a frickin computer, couldn't i take it apart and swap in another hard drive later if i had to?
2007-12-28, 5:48 PM #20
Yes. You can. I think it's fairly painless too if you have everything you'll need, but I forget the implications in terms of Live and voiding your warranty (which is really a moot point since they never want your drive when you send it in for service ANYWAY).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 6:09 PM #21
i bought a 360 and now theres no games i want your besto ff getting ps3 with its vast library and competitive price point
2007-12-28, 6:56 PM #22
~5GB or so of the HD goes straight to the system for caching in games, and other crap. Plus, keep in mind the 1000 byte/1024 byte conversion of 20GB.
2007-12-28, 7:01 PM #23
I got the Elite because of 2 reasons..

20 gig hard drive is a joke. I like to download movies and TV shows. Along with demos and I don't want to have to worry about deleting them.

2nd, the HDMI is the only way to fly.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-28, 7:24 PM #24
iirc a lot of the hard drive space is for xbox backwards compatability data

oh and usb hard drive ftw for tv shows/movies/music
2007-12-28, 9:23 PM #25
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
i bought a 360 and now theres no games i want your besto ff getting ps3 with its vast library and competitive price point

PS3 vast library.. is that a joke?

I guess if you like ratchet and clank or uncharted but I see no other reason to buy a PS3 for games.
2007-12-28, 10:06 PM #26
It's spe, Ofcourse it's a joke.
2007-12-28, 10:08 PM #27
I don't even know what the difference is in the halo addition besides the color... i think its just a pro?

It has HDMI out just like the Elite so if you have a TV with 1080P or plan on getting one..
2007-12-28, 11:14 PM #28
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
2nd, the HDMI is the only way to fly.

I like my VGA cable.... :(
Last Stand
2007-12-29, 5:44 AM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
~5GB or so of the HD goes straight to the system for caching in games

caching to the HD is only done with original xbox titles... no 360 game uses the HD for anything but game saves and downloaded content
2007-12-29, 5:47 AM #30
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
It has HDMI out just like the Elite so if you have a TV with 1080P or plan on getting one..

the 360 CAN output 1080p through component... but the TV has to support 1080p through component... many 1080p displays only support 1080p through HDMI
2007-12-29, 5:59 AM #31
Attachment: 18124/1198862128362.jpg (17,945 bytes)
:master::master::master:
2007-12-29, 10:56 AM #32
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
the 360 CAN output 1080p through component... but the TV has to support 1080p through component... many 1080p displays only support 1080p through HDMI

ah, thanks for clearing that up.
2007-12-29, 10:58 AM #33
caching to the HD is only done with original xbox titles... no 360 game uses the HD for anything but game saves and downloaded content

Single most retarded move Microsoft made with the 360 is right there.
Last Stand
2007-12-29, 11:16 AM #34

Yes they do.

Hell, Halo 3 does, for example. However, games must also be programmed to work without such HD capabilities, so I guess a few games skip it rather than writing for each case.
2007-12-29, 11:17 AM #35
Much as I wish the XBox 360 Arcade never existed, it does certainly make it affordable for a lot more people.
2007-12-29, 11:40 AM #36
I actually find it completely confusing that there are actually 4 xbox 360s to choose from right now. I strongly beleive nintendo did it more right with the wii - one low cost, fun solution. Too bad I play my 360 more than my wii, the wiimote is so lame... If I have to look at one more compilation of crappy "minigames" I'm going to puke.
2007-12-29, 12:06 PM #37
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Much as I wish the XBox 360 Arcade never existed, it does certainly make it affordable for a lot more people.

Sadly, this is true, and I have to at least give them some small bit of credit for doing that. It's a mixed bag. You hate the fact that the drive isn't standard, but it helps people with less money "jump in", so in the long run, it can't be ALL bad.

Still sucks though.

Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Yes they do.

Hell, Halo 3 does, for example. However, games must also be programmed to work without such HD capabilities, so I guess a few games skip it rather than writing for each case.

I think Halo 3 is one of the first to explicitly state that it NEEDS some form of storage device in order to be played. I could be very wrong. I probably am.

Either way, that's the way 360 games are slowly heading. There's already stickers designating games that WILL require a hard drive in order to be played. I honestly wish Mass Effect was one of them. God knows it'd run so much smoother if it wasn't pulling everything from the damn disk.
Last Stand
2007-12-29, 12:11 PM #38
Originally posted by stat:

Oh, now I get it.
2007-12-29, 12:46 PM #39
Originally posted by stat:

That's amazing. I love you.
DO NOT WANT.
2007-12-29, 1:55 PM #40
I can't believe the color of the console weighs for you.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!