Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → what happened???
what happened???
2007-12-28, 6:59 PM #1
I just played Mass Effect for a straight 24 hours.. of course I took some breaks here and there but I was pretty glued to the TV..

Not that I am proud of this.. more accurately it was probably 23 hours, I fell asleep while I was riding the elevator to the docking bay to scan the last keeper. According to the game I've played a total of around 11 hours.. Which brings me to my next point. The battles in this game seem so freaking hard it pisses me off. I eventually win the battles but after I restart 10 times.

I thought there was a way I could control my team members. The team AI sucks balls, they don't do **** for you.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-28, 7:38 PM #2
I agree, the AI is pretty awful. I wish you could switch characters a la Jericho. In the more difficult battles (Saren's queen or whatever), I just let them die and do it all myself. I try to resurrect when I can, but they tend to find ways to get shot.

Some of the battles are pretty hard, the Saren's Queen fight took me a few tries to get right. I was playing as a sniper, and couldn't take out the Asari Biotic users. I've found that some battles just cater to different play styles. (An assault rifle probably would have made that fight considerably easier)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-28, 7:40 PM #3
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
I just played Mass Effect for a straight 24 hours..

Ethan..?
woot!
2007-12-28, 8:37 PM #4
Someone set you up the bomb?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-12-29, 2:31 AM #5
I pretty much did the same when I first got the game. Played it nonstop until I couldn't take it anymore.

My first playthrough was as a Soldier, and I kept Tali and Liara with me at all times. I was too lazy to use their powers manually, so they usually sucked in battle. That is, until I changed their power usage from Defensive to Active. As soon as I did that, we became pretty much unstoppable.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-12-29, 10:48 AM #6
I'm playing as a solider too. Now that my character has better attributes and weapons fighting seems to be easier. I'll check out the power usage thing and see if that helps out at all.

I've learned (for anyone that hasn't played yet or is playing) that you should do as many side missions as possible before the main story missions to build the character up. Since the side missions don't really require fights. Obviously some do but not as extensive as the main story line it seems, and you still get points/credits to spend and all the weapons you will find along the way.
2007-12-29, 2:11 PM #7
Just make sure you get Liara first if you plan to beat the game with her. If you complete 75% of the game using the same character, you get an achievement, and, more importantly, an in game bonus depending on who you beat it with. For example, I'm pretty sure beating it with Tali gives you a permanent 10% increase to shields.

Oh, if you take more shield damage than health damage through the whole game, that unlocks an achievement and shield bonus too, so keep those shields up.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2007-12-29, 2:19 PM #8
I'm excited for this to come out on PC.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-12-29, 2:20 PM #9
If it plays anything like KotOR port, I wouldn't be.
2007-12-29, 2:29 PM #10
Z@n, you can control your teammates. At least you can control when they use their powers. Hold the Right Button and the list of your powers comes up along with theirs, just pick one. You can choose their weapons with the Left Button. But what will probably help you out the most is changing their power use to active. Otherwise they won't really do much for you at all. I set it as active and with Liara and Tali I really don't have to fight at all if I don't want to. Liara will tear up the whole room very quickly at higher levels.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-12-29, 5:07 PM #11
Crimson, I did try that when I was first playing but I just found it a burden to try and control their strategy and mine at the same time.

I seem to remember watching a video a few months back. Where you could pause real time and actually place markers to direct your team. What happened to that? or am I missing something.
2007-12-29, 6:08 PM #12
D-pad up tells them to run where you point.
2007-12-29, 8:14 PM #13
The battles in this game seem so freaking hard it pisses me off. I eventually win the battles but after I restart 10 times.

I thought there was a way I could control my team members. The team AI sucks balls, they don't do **** for you.

Uh... what? I NEVER had any problem with the battles. EVER. I only died three or four times the entire game, and it wasn't in battle, it was because I did something stupid with the Mako.

And I still don't understand everyone's problem with the team AI. They worked fine for me. Of course, I never told them to DO anything special either. They always did their thing, I did my thing, and somehow everything always worked out perfectly. I had Tali die ONCE, and that was while fighting Benezia. Otherwise none of them ever died either.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-12-30, 8:59 AM #14
i ****ing owned in it i maxed out shotgun and kept the +40% damage vs humanoids or synthetics ammo and switched between them pretty much every enemy went down in one shot

i could snipe those large white geth at great distance with a shotgun and take them down in one or two shots it was ****ing ridiculous how easy it was i had the opposite buzz.

also i ****ed a blue chick
2007-12-30, 9:20 AM #15
Man I can't do *anything* for 24 hours...
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-12-30, 10:01 AM #16
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
i ****ing owned in it i maxed out shotgun and kept the +40% damage vs humanoids or synthetics ammo and switched between them pretty much every enemy went down in one shot

i could snipe those large white geth at great distance with a shotgun and take them down in one or two shots it was ****ing ridiculous how easy it was i had the opposite buzz.

also i ****ed a blue chick

Same here. I also used that the one that did more damage (+26% I think, maybe 29% by the very end), but made your weapon overheat 20% faster. I could still easily get 3 shots off, and everything died in one hit. It was glorious.
2007-12-30, 10:12 AM #17
ya i went with those dudes who mix up magic and guns but i ended up hardlys ever using magic so i went with the second class where i owned with guns and had a big shield i ended up getting that achievement where you take more total damage to sheilds based on the last quarter of the game alone because i could just rape a ******
2007-12-30, 10:28 AM #18
Originally posted by Tracer:
Man I can't do *anything* for 24 hours...

You'd make a terrible Jack Bauer. :P

Z@N, you have to tell your squad what to do. There's simply no way around it. Unless you play a soldier. Then you can just turn on Immunity once in awhile and pretend you're playing Gears of War.

I could offer more specific advice if I knew what class you were playing. If you're combat-focused, use Liara or Kaiden for crowd control. If you're biotics-focused, don't try to do all the damage yourself. Get the bad guys out in the open where Ashley or Wrex or Garrus can kill them. If you're a techie, the idea's basically the same.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-12-30, 10:31 AM #19
letting team mates get kills doesnt sate my bloodlust
2007-12-30, 11:27 AM #20
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Same here. I also used that the one that did more damage (+26% I think, maybe 29% by the very end), but made your weapon overheat 20% faster. I could still easily get 3 shots off, and everything died in one hit. It was glorious.

I put snowblind rounds in my maxed out spectre assault rifle. Kills most things in three shots, slightly reduced rate of fire, and the son of a ***** WILL NOT OVERHEAT.

The explosive rounds are in my pistol for ****s and giggles. Three back to back shots and it'll overheat, so you have to time them apart to keep heat down, but it tears things up ridiculously fast.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-12-31, 4:30 PM #21
I'm just a solider.. almost maxed out assault rifle.. killing people is easier now that I've upgraded a lot. But the hardest mission I came across was fighting that queen ***** and her henchmen.. they kept stunning me, then charge and then boom I was dead. Several times I watch my team sit there and not even shoot at the bastards.. then had to sit through 2 minutes of cut scenes over and over.. how annoying
2007-12-31, 4:37 PM #22
Yes, that's the hardest fight in the game.
2007-12-31, 5:33 PM #23
Just finished a Hardcore run with my Adept (assault rifle added). Definitely going to use her for Insanity as well, it's a really fun class to play.
2007-12-31, 6:48 PM #24
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Yes, that's the hardest fight in the game.

.... what? ... That fight was EASY. I had each wave down 30 seconds after it was released. You guys just suck at Mass Effect if you're having problems like these. :p

Maxed out Assault Rifle/Shotgun + Polonium Rounds + Heavy Armor + Shield Upgrades = Unstoppable.
Last Stand
2007-12-31, 11:17 PM #25
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
.... what? ... That fight was EASY. I had each wave down 30 seconds after it was released. You guys just suck at Mass Effect if you're having problems like these. :p

Maxed out Assault Rifle/Shotgun + Polonium Rounds + Heavy Armor + Shield Upgrades = Unstoppable.

Have to agree. I've died a few times in that fight, but only because I did stupid things.

Not sure which fight is the hardest though. It's certainly not the last one. Saren/Sovereign has never managed to kill me.
2008-01-01, 3:27 AM #26
whatever dude, I kept getting hit with those stun balls and then they just mow you down.. there is no escaping that at the skill level i was at
2008-01-01, 5:43 AM #27
Well i've played the entire game so far only using pistols for my character. All you assault rifle and shotgun people are wusses.

Also with the "hard" fight, just head right straight away and take cover by boxes and she can't get you, then you just have to worry about the normal enemies.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-01-01, 11:18 AM #28
whatever dude, I kept getting hit with those stun balls and then they just mow you down.. there is no escaping that at the skill level i was at

That's why you do all the side quests and spend a ridiculous amount of time exploring before you ever even set FOOT on one of the main quest planets.

Originally posted by Detty:
Well i've played the entire game so far only using pistols for my character. All you assault rifle and shotgun people are wusses.

Also with the "hard" fight, just head right straight away and take cover by boxes and she can't get you, then you just have to worry about the normal enemies.

Hey now, I registered 150 kills with every weapon on my first run through. The Assault Rifle was fun then because of how fast it'd clear out a room. Now I'm using my pistol with Explosive Rounds X or so. It sounds retardedly powerful, and it is. Plus it's fun shooting someone in the chest once and watching them fall to the ground on fire and then vaporize.
Last Stand
2008-01-01, 2:39 PM #29
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
That's why you do all the side quests and spend a ridiculous amount of time exploring before you ever even set FOOT on one of the main quest planets

yeah well I didn't really know what I was getting myself into because of this game's lack of explanation on everything. And if you read my earlier posts I said the exact same thing.

↑ Up to the top!