Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → poll: polo shirts and blazers... fashionable or no?
poll: polo shirts and blazers... fashionable or no?
2004-08-01, 3:23 AM #1
ok, so i've had this debate with my mum several times now and i need more opinions:
is it acceptable to wear a polo shirt with a suit jacket or blazer over it?

my answer is "definitely not!"
what do you allo think?

------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-08-01, 3:26 AM #2
I'd never wear a polo with a blazer, that's what normal shirts are for, but I wear a polo with a t-shirt underneath for added warmth all the time.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-01, 3:31 AM #3
yeah, polo shirts, to me, are to be worn with nothing over them except a nice coat (like my trench [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif])

but usually when i "dress up" i just wear a short sleeve dress shirt open with a dark coloured under shirt (or maybe have it half buttoned... i can't stand the neck on a dress shirt and i REALLY can't stand ties. they look fine on others but not me heh)

------------------
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-08-01, 4:16 AM #4
Meh.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-01, 4:59 AM #5
Polo shirts are just wrong in general unless you're golfing or something... Maybe if you're playing polo, but that would be pushing it.
2004-08-01, 5:00 AM #6
Good Lord. Never, ever is it acceptable to wear a polo and a blazer at the same time. The fashion gods will vaporize you on the spot.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-08-01, 5:36 AM #7
What the hell is a polo shirt and what is a blazer? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-01, 5:44 AM #8
A blazer is a light dress jacket, a polo shirt is a t-shirt with a collar and a v-neck with a few buttons.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-01, 6:25 AM #9
*looks down and realizes he's wearing a polo shirt*

Good thing I don't own any blazers...

------------------
Wisdom is the application of knowledge.
Life is beautiful.
2004-08-01, 6:28 AM #10
I usually dont wear blazers or anything like that, I have a nice black leather coat I wear when it gets cold.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-01, 8:03 AM #11
I'd never wear a polo with a blazer. It doen't look right

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-01, 8:40 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I usually dont wear blazers or anything like that, I have a nice black leather coat I wear when it gets cold.
</font>

You can wear a blazer very well indoors (even when it's not cold) so it's not exactly the same thing.

However, I second the many notions of incompatibility here...

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-08-01, 9:11 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
A blazer is a light dress jacket, a polo shirt is a t-shirt with a collar and a v-neck with a few buttons.

</font>

So... a collared shirt and a sports jacket?

------------------
2004-08-01, 10:54 AM #14
I thought the idea of a polo shirt was you didn't wear anything over it... so in that case, no, not good.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-01, 5:02 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
So... a collared shirt and a sports jacket?</font>

Yeah [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I think it's a trans-Atlantic thing.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-01, 5:19 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Yeah [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I think it's a trans-Atlantic thing.

</font>

Eitherway it's not good.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-01, 5:20 PM #17
Good god no. Polo shirts are rarely acceptable. They should be worn by NO ONE. If you want a shirt with a collar, go to Kaufman's or Lazarus and buy a nice Calvin Klein for 30 bucks. They're more comfortable, better looking, and the ladies love them.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-01, 5:21 PM #18
Indeed.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-01, 5:34 PM #19
Polo shirt alone is unacceptable.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-08-01, 5:39 PM #20
I wear a collared shirt every day :x
... and kakhi pants... and brown shoes... I'm so uncool [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 01, 2004).]
2004-08-01, 5:46 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
Polo shirts are just wrong in general unless you're golfing or something... Maybe if you're playing polo, but that would be pushing it.</font>

^ Amen. My mum used to like giving me polo shirts as xmas presents. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] When she's old and frail and I have power of attorney, karma is going to be coming back to meet her.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-01, 7:44 PM #22
How about this: who really gives a rat's *** ? Wear whatever you want.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-02, 12:04 AM #23
free: the point was to get other opinions and see just how nerdy we are when it comes to fashion...

just a fun thread [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-08-02, 10:17 AM #24
I didn't say anything was wrong with a collered shirt. I wear them every day too. But polo shirts suck. A collared shirt should buttun all the way up the front, and have long sleeves. If you don't like the long sleeves, roll them up. It looks dead sexy that way.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-02, 10:34 AM #25
As nerdy as this conversation may sound, it has a valid point. These are things you might need to know in the business world, etc.

Polo's are thought of as "dress-down" shirts. You're not exactly wearing normal clothes, but you're not wearing a tie. They were part of the summer uniform when I was in High School, and I have to wear one to work (supermarket). I don't think they all necessarily look bad in general.

As for the suit jacket or blazer thing, a polo isn't meant to be worn with that. Neither is a button-down w/o a tie. The open collar usually doesn't look right. If you need a sortof formal jacket, a shirt jacket works best. But no one ever stopped me from wearing my flight jacket, even if it didn't look quite right.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-08-02, 10:36 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
I didn't say anything was wrong with a collered shirt. I wear them every day too. But polo shirts suck. A collared shirt should buttun all the way up the front, and have long sleeves. If you don't like the long sleeves, roll them up. It looks dead sexy that way.

</font>

3 buttons : collared shirt
buttons all the way down : button up shirt

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-08-02, 11:07 AM #27
Polo shirts are just the t-shirts with the collar and three buttons, aren't they? Theres nothing wrong with those shirts as long as they are solid color and you don't button up the top button they are fine.

Blazers on the other hand.....that is a form of employee branding companies use.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-02, 11:55 AM #28
Blazer with a button-up not buttoned all the way up with jeans looks very nice.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-02, 12:30 PM #29
I thought polo shirts tended to be made of a thicker material than t-shirt.

I had a blazer as part of my school uniform and to be honest, I can't see how anyone would wear one out of choice, although they do have nice pockets. If you want to dress smart then wear a suit, if you want to dress casual then just wear something comfy.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-02, 12:32 PM #30
true Ewb...

and whoever said button up shirts without a tie was wrong is on crack.
i wear those shirts all the time without a tie =P
(usually just some kahkis/dockers with the shirt and a dark coloured undershirt)

------------------

↑ Up to the top!