Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3 Performance Tweak
Doom 3 Performance Tweak
2004-08-03, 12:46 PM #1
Tweak!

So apparently it works really well...just read that thread.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-03, 1:18 PM #2
I think that link needs to be tweaked.
2004-08-03, 1:19 PM #3
Holy crap that worked really well, thanks a lot!

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-08-03, 1:33 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
I think that link needs to be tweaked.</font>

I think you need to check your browser, the link works.

------------------
2004-08-03, 1:35 PM #5
It's working now, I was getting a 404 a few minutes ago. I'll try out the tweak in a minute.
2004-08-03, 1:37 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
I think that link needs to be tweaked.</font>

I assume this is a connection problem?

oh oh!

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-03, 2:00 PM #7
Hmm, I'm guessing that's the amount of RAM can be used to store textures(although 32 MB seems REALLY low). Regardless, if it works, that's neat. I've asked some of my friends who have it already to try it out.

Personally, I'm very skeptical since I've seen a lot of these "miracle config file edits" end up not helping like many people think they do. I'll still try for myself though, but it seems too fishy to be true if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited August 03, 2004).]
2004-08-03, 6:29 PM #8
No this one actually works. The number there is how much RAM is allocated to the game.
Its default at only about 20 which is nothing. 64 helps alot!

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-03, 6:32 PM #9
I tried it, the default was 20 for me for some reason, but I bumped it up to 128 and there is a big performance jump, I am gonna see if I cant take it to 256 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-03, 6:35 PM #10
It's not just RAM allocated to the game(that'd be horribly silly for such low values). It's RAM allocated for some specific purpose, which I think isn't texture memory either. I'm guessing it's actually memory used to store the raw image data that's to be displayed on the screen. Then again, I'm no expert on FPS mechanics.

Regardless of what it does, I'll be damn happy if it really helps.

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited August 03, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 3:19 AM #11
Pfft, I'm gonna see what happens when I put 512 in there! Just as soon as Wal-Mart gets it. Gonna go there in a bit to see if they've got it yet.

On a side note, a guy at work yesterday was going around saying HL2 came out. Guess he's gonna have a hard time finding a copy.
2004-08-04, 4:24 AM #12
Also, ATI has released a beta version of the next Catalyst drivers, which are 'optomized for Doom 3'. They might be worth using too. (I don't know of any improvement, because I installed them before playing Doom 3.)

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 6:40 AM #13
I didn't notice any improvement, and if you continue to read the thread, nobody really knows what this command is doing, or if it even has any effect on the game itself.
2004-08-04, 6:46 AM #14
Yeah, I've read the thread, too. One thing it does do though is reduce the short freezes when entering new areas, and that's a good thing.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 6:56 AM #15
I changed mine to 700 and it's helped considerably.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

↑ Up to the top!