Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can someone explain to me about this game trailer...
Can someone explain to me about this game trailer...
2004-08-03, 7:00 PM #1
It's a trailer about the game Conflict: Vietnam...

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_conflictvietnam_2.html

I find it funny there are unusual green and yellow (somewhat big) flashes. There are gun "shots" that remind me of Jedi Knight and other sci-fi games. To me, they look like laser bolts or something.

Is this to show the direction of the shooter and whos side he is on? I think it looks sorta silly. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 03, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-03, 7:45 PM #2
They're tracers. And I'm rpetty sure the VC used green ones and we used red or orangey ones. Though in real life they wouldn't be that large and they'b be brighter...more white...i THINK, i don't think i've ever seen what they really looked like. But I know we still use reddish colored tracers, and they're bright, more white with a reddish edge. Looks liek they jsut exaggerated them in a strangely comical fashion.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-03, 7:58 PM #3
Ya... they're overdone. Other than that it looks... ok?

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-03, 8:41 PM #4
Conflict: Desert Storm and Back to Bahgdad were awesome games on the Gamecube. Why did they decide to not release this on the Gamecube?!

I hate when games come out on two systems. One is ok, three is great, but not two. It's not fair. One, or all. Not two. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-04, 1:05 AM #5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammunition

As previously stated, typically red for NATO standard ammunition, green for Warsaw Pact ammunition. Orange-yellow for the Axis during the second world war.

A tactic, which sometimes used is to put for example three subsequent tracer rounds at or near the end of a belt or magazine so that you know when you're running out. Otherwise, they are "diluted" by beĆ­ng mixed with standard rounds, anywhere from 1 in 3 to 1 in 7, often depending on the rate of fire.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited August 04, 2004).]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-04, 4:39 AM #6
What's the name of the song in that trailer? It's been bothering me...

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-04, 5:51 AM #7
I never knew there where such things as tracers, even when I studed the wars. Heh. That would explain it

------------------

--------@%

2004-08-04, 5:58 AM #8
They're normally used on planes and other vehicles, since it's difficult to aim you rely more on "walking" your bullets onto the target. I've never heard of them being used in handheld weapons... seems like an overall bad idea to me. That's one of the things that always drove me nuts about America's Army... that stupid night-paradrop level is practically pointless because you can see where everybody's shooting from.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 04, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-04, 6:05 AM #9
They are WAY overmodled.
2004-08-04, 10:30 AM #10
Maybe, because this is a trailer, they might fix it? Like make it smaller? How fast do real tracers go?

At least the combat looks OK.

------------------

--------@%

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 10:45 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
What's the name of the song in that trailer? It's been bothering me...

</font>

The Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Best. Song. Ever.

And now having looked at the trailer, yes they look pretty overdone, moving really slowly (instead of roughly supersonic speeds) and showing far too often. To the best of my knowledge tracers really aren't used all that often for infantry weapons except for machineguns or heavier emplaced 20mm cannons.

-----------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited August 04, 2004).]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-04, 1:21 PM #12
Blaster bolts indeed...

Tracers are also used in AA fire. Of course AA fire is nowadays often missiles, but when it's gun fire, tracers are really nice. And they look amazing. I guess everybody saw the TV shows from Iraq showing plenty of 23mm AA fire.

When I was in the Army, AA corps, I had a nice opportunity to watch 35mm AA fire during night time. It's as close to the movie like laser turret fire as you can get in the real life... Long, strong bright lines shooting high into the sky, against the darkness of the space.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-08-04, 1:47 PM #13
[http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040317l.jpg]

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-04, 2:21 PM #14
The Conflict games have never exactly recieve high review scores.

↑ Up to the top!