Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shopping for a 17" LCD...
Shopping for a 17" LCD...
2004-08-04, 11:16 AM #1
All of these "Build me a new computer" threads have got me looking at some LCD panels, particularly this one. The price just went down by $50, and with the $50 mail-in rebate comes under $500 CDN. 1280x1024, 600:1 contrast ratio and 12 ms response time - it almost seems too good for the price. I currently have a Samsung 17" CRT that has done a great job so far.

Anyone else hear of this LCD (710N)? Does it have any kind of problems with resizing? Suggestions for other panels?

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-04, 11:49 AM #2
my dad has the same one in 15". he researched it thouroughly before buying. looks like they have the best waranty on backlighting.

it's also a very nice monitor.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-04, 11:59 AM #3
Make sure it's DVI and Google for reviews to make sure it has good resolution interpolation. Since that 12ms line is targeted towards gamers, it's probably good.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-04, 12:09 PM #4
It doesn't have a DVI input. Is analog that bad? I mean that's what our CRT's use.

------------------
2004-08-04, 12:29 PM #5
Analog is fine, but if you ever wanted to hook it directly to a DVD player or something, you would need DVI. I think.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-08-04, 1:41 PM #6
the analog for the LCD is much nicer aesthetically speaking than the CRT. quality wise i guess it's the same.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-04, 2:03 PM #7
Then I guess it doesn't matter if it's analog or digital. But at least find out if the interpolation is any good, otherwise you're stuck running at 1280x1024. Now, you probably never want to run an LCD at anything other than it's native for the desktop, but for games you want to make sure it looks at least decent.

------------------
2004-08-04, 4:45 PM #8
Your link doesnt work for me so I cant see what monitor you're looking at, but I have a 12 ms response time Samsung 172X and absolutely love it. There is no blurring whatsoever at all, ever. And the picture quality is about a million times better than my old 17'' CRT.

Native resolution isnt really a problem for me - my PC is good enough to run everything I play (bring on HL2!) at 1280x1024, so everything looks schweet.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-04, 6:08 PM #9
UROPINIONSUX ATIROX

Sounds good.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 2:20 AM #10
Spork - their site seems to be down for some reason. It's a Samsung 710N - the 172X which was the first that I was looking at. It doesn't have a DVI input or a fancy stand, but the contrast ratio is higher on the 710 (600:1 instead of 500:1) and the brightness as well (300cd/m2 instead of 270). I've got the computer to play my games at 1280x1024 for now (I play Splinter Cell at 1280x1024), Doom 3 will change that though although I haven't tried it yet.

Anyone know about the resizing/interpolation on it?

------------------
2004-08-05, 2:22 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
UROPINIONSUX ATIROX</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-08-05, 3:23 AM #12
Well, from my experience Samsung make good monitors. Over a month now and no dead pixels [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-05, 8:51 AM #13
funny this, i'm in the process of choosing which 17" LCD to upgrade to myself....and i've to the conclusion that the 172X is the best.

there are a load of reviews out there but don't take too much faith in the contrast ratio and brightness given, a lot of these numbers can be altered to give better readings but at the cost of picture quality.

the 172X is the newest model from samsung in the 17" range (i think) and from all the reviews seems to be the best bet.

heres a few links.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=2072

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20040413/lcd-03.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/index.html

few other moniters are reviewed in the above articles, should give you 5 or so of the best ones on the market right now to choose from, enjoy.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!