Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3 & Laboratory
Doom 3 & Laboratory
2004-08-03, 11:41 PM #1
This always happenes... something comes out and it's exactly like Laboratory.. it happened first off back when Resident Evil the movie came out, as it wasn't like the game (more like Laboratory), Now Doom 3 has pretty much the EXACT same opening as the one I made for Laboratory... this is getting very upsetting.. but on the other hand, I feel like I've been ripped off from purchasing Doom 3.... it's just like what happened when Doom II came out.. it was the same as the first one.. I can't even tell the difference between Doom II and Doom 3...

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-03, 11:51 PM #2
doom 3 thread number 1 billion and 1 ...

wha? can't tell the difference between doom 2 and doom 3? bah you need your eyes checked ... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-08-04, 1:44 AM #3
Yeah, that pisses me off to whenever I get and idea to do a level series and found out the someone already did something similar to what I had in mind. The plot for my reinvention of the Leeza's Destiny series for JO has to be modified because it holds a little to close to Jedi Academy's plot of a Sith cult. Also, this one series I wanted to do for MotS featured a character that the player can design (it was a bounty hunter level series) but I can't do that without it looking too similar to Jedi Academy's Jaden system. Grrr [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-04, 2:45 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CavEmaN:
doom 3 thread number 1 billion and 1 ...

wha? can't tell the difference between doom 2 and doom 3? bah you need your eyes checked ... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
</font>

It has better graphics, so what? They need to actually try something new with the Doom series.
2004-08-04, 2:48 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spiral:
This always happenes... something comes out and it's exactly like Laboratory.. it happened first off back when Resident Evil the movie came out, as it wasn't like the game (more like Laboratory), Now Doom 3 has pretty much the EXACT same opening as the one I made for Laboratory... this is getting very upsetting.. but on the other hand, I feel like I've been ripped off from purchasing Doom 3.... it's just like what happened when Doom II came out.. it was the same as the first one.. I can't even tell the difference between Doom II and Doom 3...

</font>

o_O Explain how you can't tell a difference...

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 04, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-04, 2:50 AM #6
Laboratory will still be better, and will actually run on my computer, which is a major plus in my book.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-04, 3:14 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It has better graphics, so what? They need to actually try something new with the Doom series. </font>

Oh yes, they should please the few whiners and piss everyone else off. THIS IS DOOM, WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING??!! The first one wasn't even revolutionary, so why should this one be? What do you want them to do, make it a FPS/RPG? If you honestly were looking for some revolutionary new gameplay in Doom 3, then you should be dragged out into the street and shot, just to make sure you never pass on your retard genes.
2004-08-04, 3:54 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
Laboratory will still be better, and will actually run on my computer, which is a major plus in my book.

</font>

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-04, 4:39 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:

</font>

Such Ignorance, unless you have played it, you can't say ****.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 04, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-04, 4:42 AM #10
Laboratory will still be better, because I'm hyped up about it and not even remotely interested in Doom 3. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 04, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-04, 6:16 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Laboratory will still be better, because I'm hyped up about it and not even remotely interested in Doom 3. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

And its for JK.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-04, 6:24 AM #12
And that makes it better?

*cough/duck*

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 6:26 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
Oh yes, they should please the few whiners and piss everyone else off. THIS IS DOOM, WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING??!! The first one wasn't even revolutionary, so why should this one be? What do you want them to do, make it a FPS/RPG? If you honestly were looking for some revolutionary new gameplay in Doom 3, then you should be dragged out into the street and shot, just to make sure you never pass on your retard genes.</font>

That was taken so far out of context I simply cannot understand... Maybe your retard genes should be suppressed if you're going to over react like that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Such Ignorance, unless you have played it, you can't say ****.</font>

ditto.

Why is it that a game has been out for just one day and people are already willing to defend it to the death?

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-08-04, 6:27 AM #14
JK i5 5uX8@d!!!111!

Oh, and the reason I reacted like that is because I'm friggin sick of seeing people whining and complaining about how games aren't 'original', even though they may be a blast. And yet these same people have no idea how to make the games more original. They're wonderful examples of armchair quarterbacks.

Yes, I overreacted, I apologize.

[This message has been edited by Mister_Sinister (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 6:56 AM #15
*sigh* This will turn into one big "OMG DOOM 3 IS NOT THAT GREAT" or "OMG DOOM 3 IS TEH BEST" threads. Simply put, people who are far too picky with their gaming experience WON'T be wanting Doom 3. People who love having fun, WILL be wanting Doom 3.

There.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-04, 7:27 AM #16
Well said.
2004-08-04, 8:31 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
Such Ignorance, unless you have played it, you can't say ****.</font>

Erm...I think he was just being supportive...lighten up, all of you.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-04, 8:35 AM #18
Is there some unwritten rule stating I can't play and like both, finding meritful aspects of both projects?

Naturally you don't have to hold them to the same scrutiny since one's a multi-million dollar sequel to one of the most famous games in history, developed on it's own engine, with a team comprised of some of the biggest names in the business. The other is an independent one-man volunteer show, a free non-commercial project, developed with passion on a seven year old engine, in his own spare time, on a shoe-string budget.

It's like saying that I can't appreciate sprite-based arcade shooters like Metal Slug X or R-Type because I've got a machine at home with a 128 mb graphics card and 512 mb of RAM. I recently played through Undying and System Shock 2 again and I still get creeped out by both of them though their levels probably have less triangles than the DOOM marine's right hand.

Besides it's not like the "project gone wrong in isolated outpost" theme hasn't been used before. It's been in use since at least since the (excellent) "The THING from Another World" in the 50's. No one's complaining either that Spiral's designs have more than a passing resemblance and seem "inspired" (to put it lightly) by the work of Hans Rudi Giger and the Alien films.

This kind of stuff happens all the time with projects falling in the limelight of whatever trendy new production has more of a budget for advertising or seems more accesible or appeals more to the lowest common demoninator. Comparisons are inevitably drawn even though they might not have more than some superficial factors in common. Saving Private Ryan for The Thin Red Line, Pirates of the Carribean for Master & Commander, Call of Duty for Hidden & Dangerous 2, any Blizzard *craft production for some mildly innovative warfare RTS released in *craft's aftermath.

If your work is passionate and strong enough the player will see through the technological limits and appreciate your project for what it is on it's own merits. Many of us have been watching your project keenly throughout the length of it's development and your showcase threads and it's not like the inevitable release of a giant like Doom 3 will somehow over-shadow it. Personally, I wasn't even drawing any parallell's between the projects until this thread (beyond the superficial generic "sci-fi horror, experiment gone wrong" theme).

I'm still going to re-install JK after a multi-year hiatus for your project's release, if that means anything. And I'm sure I'll eventually get around to Doom 3 in good time too.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-04, 9:14 AM #19
I was merely joking about doom 3.. it's the best game ever.. I realy enjoy it, and it freaks me out.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-04, 9:19 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
It has better graphics, so what? They need to actually try something new with the Doom series.</font>

Um... this game is nothing like the originals, it is completely different. Even too different for some people. It is more a horror game than anything, the originals just werent scary.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-04, 9:34 AM #21
Yeah, I remember running around Doom 1 (I still have it, actually) just shooting random monsters, looking for the red key, and basically just having a mindless killing spree. Doom 3 isn't quite like that. It's more... suspense suspense FIGHT suspense suspense FIGHT. It's fun though...

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 2:35 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:

I'm still going to re-install JK after a multi-year hiatus for your project's release, if that means anything. And I'm sure I'll eventually get around to Doom 3 in good time too.

</font>

Me too.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-04, 2:41 PM #23
Not to mention it takes 2-3 shells to take down an Imp, whereas the old Imp could be taken down in one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-04, 3:54 PM #24
I hate when games seem to have ripped you off. I had VERY orginal RPG ideas that have long ago been ripped off (Even ask my friends, they were quite interested in my ideas, and everyone called me up after a few games came out "Dude, your idea!") as well, I had an RTS idea that incorporated FPS and RTS in one, and then literally, the next week, that caveman game with the bears and crap like that released a video (I don't think the game's even been released yet) depicting that exact same idea.

I hate it when ideas are swiped without actually meaning to be swiped. You can't collect :-(

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-04, 5:37 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
Such Ignorance, unless you have played it, you can't say ****.

</font>

... What the hell are you on? I wasn't putting down your precious Doom 3. And how am I supposed to play it? As was implied in my first post, it won't run on my computer!

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-04, 5:37 PM #26
Oh, i've had plenty of examples of this... though not usually involving games. Main one happened when i was about 9. I wrote a short Star Wars fanfic (never finished it), and in it i had a lightstaff. It took a few years (4 to be exactl), and the lo & behold, there was the lightstaff in Darth Maul's hands in The Phantom Menace (God, i hate that title).

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-04, 6:13 PM #27
To be fair to DooM III, it's a retelling of the original DooM story, with tweaks. Once you play through it, you'll notice that there's a lot more thought that needs to go into the game in order to progress, not to mention that the level of spook and action is absolutely in harmony. In my opinion, the game couldn't have been more perfect... except I wish that the plasma gun and BFG didn't run on "clips". When I have 350 cells, I want to waste ALL of them without a reload into an enemy. Same with the BFG. When clearing a room of baddies, I want to be able to fire shot after shot without taking the 12 some seconds it takes for the reload sequence. This was a mistake in my opinion.

But never fear, Lab will still be a rock *** game. No need to compare it to DooM III in any way. Just remember that almost everything in the world has already been done. You're making a TC revolving around a laboratory and aliens. Sounds like 30 plots I've seen before. Similarities are bound to exist, especially with a game that's based entirely on a Mars lab complex. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-08-04, 6:13 PM #28
Then don't say anything's going to be better than it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-04, 6:40 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Not to mention it takes 2-3 shells to take down an Imp, whereas the old Imp could be taken down in one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

It's a shotgun. It loses effectiveness with range. If you're up close with an Imp (not really a fun place to be), one shot to the head/upper torso will kill him, and most everything else, too.

------------------
2004-08-05, 7:40 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oh yes, they should please the few whiners and piss everyone else off. THIS IS DOOM, WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING??!! The first one wasn't even revolutionary, so why should this one be? What do you want them to do, make it a FPS/RPG? If you honestly were looking for some revolutionary new gameplay in Doom 3, then you should be dragged out into the street and shot, just to make sure you never pass on your retard genes. </font>

And Im sorry, but anyone that gets that upset about someones opinion of a video game, needs to be dragged into the street and shot so their retard genes dont spread.

Come on people, its a VIDEO GAME. You're arguing over a VIDEO GAME. Lets take a breather from this here internet site, and step outside into the sun, the real world, LIFE.
2004-08-05, 9:04 AM #31
Yeah, because you know it's not like anyone MAKE video games their living, right, right? Oh, wait.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 11:07 AM #32
Which is unfortunate.
2004-08-05, 11:19 AM #33
...yeah REAL unfortunate that some people code games and create games for a living

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!