Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vice City vs. Liberty City
Vice City vs. Liberty City
2004-08-02, 8:00 PM #1
Which city do you like the best? (the city design, not the game itself)

I was playing the liberty city mod for GTA:VC (which is basically a port of the GTA3 map to the much-improved VC engine. There are no missions, but you can wander around the map and steal cars, and thats about it. However, its still fun-- the original GTA3 engine is wildly unstable and crashes before i have time to get into the game, plus it has this awful blurry look to it even with trails off. However, when the map is rendered usign the vice city engine, the scenery is razor sharp, and it has yet to crash.

All the cars from GTA3 have been reproduced, and the motorcycles and helicopters added. I've always wanted to ride a PCG motorcycle through the tunnel connecting the 3 islands in liberty city, and now i can. it's as fun as it sounds, especially when you weave through traffic.)

Anyway, onto the point of this thread:

When the two cities are rendered with the same engine, Liberty city takes on a whole new look and that gritty feel is enhanced.

I like vice city for its sprawl and its beautiful scenery, but Liberty city had those cool bridges, plus the monorail on portland and the inter-island tunnel. Vice city had none of that, it had very simple concrete bridges that were nothing compared to the bridge connecting shoreside vale with staunton.

Liberty city seemed to be more balanced. The city seemed rather homogenized, with the most notable exceptions being on portland island.

Vice city has the feeling of being split down the middle, with the side you start on being the good commercialized side, and the other side having all the poverty and gang problems. it just didn't feel balanced.

For me, both are tied. I like liberty city for its functionality and redundant means of traveling between islands, and I like vice city for its wide open feel and beautiful scenery.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-02, 8:07 PM #2
Liberty City.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-02, 8:52 PM #3
liberty city... just because

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-02, 9:17 PM #4
The locations of Liberty City had a much more... unique look. I always got lost in Vice City, because everywhere looked the same. Vice City was also too flat.

Poll: Liberty City vs. Vice City

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede

[This message has been edited by Chaz Ghostle (edited August 03, 2004).]
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-03, 4:16 AM #5
Liberty. Vice felt really narrow and linear in places.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-03, 4:27 AM #6
Liberty City.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-03, 4:38 AM #7
San Andreas
2004-08-03, 5:30 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
San Andreas</font>

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-03, 5:40 AM #9
Liberty City, just because I always get lost in Vice. :\

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-03, 5:41 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister and G-man:
San Andreas</font>

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-08-03, 7:28 AM #11
cant wait for san andreas.
I liked Liberty map, vice cars and engine so the liberty mod is great.

------------------
DUU BistX0rz ein N00b!
DUU BistX0rz ein N00b!
2004-08-03, 7:43 AM #12
Liberty.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-03, 8:36 AM #13
Liberty.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-03, 8:39 AM #14
For the most part I like Liberty better. But Vice City definately has more atmosphere to it. I also like the way Vice City distinguishes different areas of the city with different architecture, textures, etc.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-08-03, 11:54 AM #15
Liberty. There was just more to it I think. Plus it had larger buildings and just more atmosphere to it. I mean, I realized when I walked into a Mafia controlled part of town..

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-08-03, 1:00 PM #16
I guess I kind of prefer Vice City, Liberty City just looks way too redundant..

I really wish for the next GTA they'd use a different graphic engine. The crappy PS2 graphics just totally take from the realism.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-08-03, 1:01 PM #17
Was liberty city sposed to be based on new yrok? cuz it so doesn't resembl it atall.

(I know htere's a lot of typoss, im tired. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

------------------
Check out my deviantART gallery.
2004-08-03, 2:39 PM #18
Las Venturas
2004-08-03, 3:36 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eversor:
I guess I kind of prefer Vice City, Liberty City just looks way too redundant..

I really wish for the next GTA they'd use a different graphic engine. The crappy PS2 graphics just totally take from the realism.

</font>

There was an actual name for the engine, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called... anyone?

And yeah they definitely need a better engine - someone once described it as 'a great driving game with occasional shooting' - if they could make it like a proper 3PS like Max Payne when you're toddling around on foot that'd be so much better. And the cars need dashes and proper interior views dammit! And swimming, we need swimming! (And so on)

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-03, 4:04 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
There was an actual name for the engine, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called... anyone?

And yeah they definitely need a better engine - someone once described it as 'a great driving game with occasional shooting' - if they could make it like a proper 3PS like Max Payne when you're toddling around on foot that'd be so much better. And the cars need dashes and proper interior views dammit! And swimming, we need swimming! (And so on)

</font>

with the exception of the interior views of the cars SA will have alkl that... right analog stick used to look around/aim and swimming

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-03, 5:16 PM #21
I think Liberty City has a better atmosphere (although the one in Vice City is also very good, and also different). Vice City is probably more developed because of all the new stuff you can do like ride boats and fly in helicopters. If those game mechanics were applied to Liberty City it would be wonderful. Both are awesome though.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-03, 5:19 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
I think Liberty City has a better atmosphere (although the one in Vice City is also very good, and also different). Vice City is probably more developed because of all the new stuff you can do like ride boats and fly in helicopters. If those game mechanics were applied to Liberty City it would be wonderful. Both are awesome though.</font>

they had boats in GTA3, and you could fly, but there was only one plane. It was very hard to pilot.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-03, 7:11 PM #23
I still want Grand Theft Auto: Jersey City.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-08-03, 7:14 PM #24
Liberty. I didnt like the whole 80's thing. It was cool for about ten minutes. Plus Vice was too flat.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-04, 4:45 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphian:
Was liberty city sposed to be based on new yrok? cuz it so doesn't resembl it atall.

(I know htere's a lot of typoss, im tired. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

</font>

Okay, please tell me, if it didn't look anything like it at all, why did you logically think it might have been based off of it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-08-04, 5:19 AM #26
I'll agree, the whole 80's thing was fun for a few minutes. Then it just got old. Liberty city was must better designed in my opinion. There were just more areas to do fun things... Like ramping your car down onto the beach from the mansion... Stuff like that. I never played the Liberty City mod for VC, but it sounds really good. Cause I hated almost everything about Vice City except for the motorcycles and helicopters. Vice City is WAY too flat... And I got lost way too often. I had to look at the map every 3 seconds, while in GTA3 I knew exactly where I was going all the time. I just didn't like Vice City, it just felt way too unorganized. None of the missions really seemed connected at all. It was just like sporadic errand running for random people that buy drugs from you... And for some reason the story didn't seem to actually develop... Things would just happen and I'd be sitting here like "woah since when did that happen?" And it just annoyed the hell out of me. While in GTA3 I understood what was going on... And once the gang wars got started the atmosphere was crazy with guys shooting at each other constantly.

It just seemed like in Vice City they got too caught up in adding millions of little extras for everyone to complete. You can seriously waste time in that game doing side quests for days... But would you actually WANT TO?

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-04, 6:51 AM #27
Liberty City is Cincinnati.

------------------
2004-08-04, 7:58 AM #28
What? Im pretty certain that it is New York. Even the Cop-cars were originally NYPD blue and white (you can still see this in the sliding opening credits and early screenshots) until they changed it after a certain eventful day in September 2001.

Anyhow, my choice is Liberty City. Because Sopranos & Goodfellas beats Miami Vice & Scarface in my book.

[fanboy] If Lost Heaven (from Mafia) would be an option, I'd choose that. No helo's or bikes and a shorter draw-distance. In exchange you've got a city that's a melange of Prohibition-era Chicago and New York, lovely vintage cars with really detailed damage modelling, a far better combat system, more pedestrians, Django Reinhardt laden music, a nice big countryside above the city.

A carload of angry Sicilians with three-piece suits, overcoats, coal-black hair, fedoras, and Tommyguns are just so much more stylish than teamsters with jogging suits and Ingrams in a Beamer [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] [/fanboy]

Seriously though, you ought to give the PC version of Mafia a try if you haven't already. Download the demo. I've seen it for really cheap and it still stands out as one of the finest games that I've ever played. Don't expect a "GTA 1930", since the only thing that both games share are that they're both good urban organized-crime games that allow you to drive a car or walk in a large relatively convincing metropolis inhabited by NPC's going about their business.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-04, 8:14 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stat:
I still want Grand Theft Auto: Jersey City.

</font>

San Andreas (LA, SF and Vegas) > Jersey

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-04, 8:19 AM #30
Even if that was true, it's still got that cheesy early '90s Boyz in Da Hood crap.

------------------
2004-08-04, 8:26 AM #31
Rockstar needs to forget about making their games coherant with the time era. They need to make them modern and forget about their VH1 instant nostalgia formula. Vice City is like GTA3 meets I love the 80's. Forget it. I don't want it.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-04, 9:21 AM #32
I have a better idea. They need to make a game that's not GTA, but alot like it and set in the 30's. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

I'd so worship that game...

------------------
2004-08-04, 9:49 AM #33
Someone already did. It's called Mafia, and there's a sequel in the making.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-04, 2:47 PM #34
Yeah mafia kicks SO much *** . I would love to see a modern take on it. That's what GTA 3 should have been. When I first read about it, that's basically what I thought it would be.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-05, 5:03 AM #35
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]
I've never heard of this game! I'll try the demo [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-08-05, 6:00 AM #36
Hehe. <3 uber-slow Mafia cars.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-05, 12:31 PM #37
Liberty city, mainly because of the greater variance. The hills, bridges, buildings, they never looked quite the same, as opposed to Vice City. Seems in Vice if you've seen one city block you've seen them all.
2004-08-05, 12:37 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
San Andreas</font>

San andreas is a state, not a city

------------------
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
nope.
2004-08-05, 12:57 PM #39
Liberty. I love chatterbox. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

I also love VRock though :-\

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-05, 1:04 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joseph T:
Liberty city, mainly because of the greater variance. The hills, bridges, buildings, they never looked quite the same, as opposed to Vice City. Seems in Vice if you've seen one city block you've seen them all.</font>

Yeah, hence my first comment in this thread: I always get lost. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!