Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → if not dell, then what?
if not dell, then what?
2008-03-07, 5:00 AM #41
People actually use the nipple mouse often? I have one and I hardly ever touch it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-07, 8:13 AM #42
If I only had a trackpad my fingers would have to leave the keyboard to use the mouse.

I also tend to use more shortcuts now that my fingers are always on the keyboard.
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-03-07, 8:27 AM #43
Impi - that's one of the reasons I love my Mac: everything at a keystroke :D
2008-03-07, 8:30 AM #44
How is that Mac exclusive? Windows has always been built so that you can operate it entirely without a mouse.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-07, 10:36 AM #45
Originally posted by Impi:
If I only had a trackpad my fingers would have to leave the keyboard to use the mouse.

I also tend to use more shortcuts now that my fingers are always on the keyboard.

This.

You can move the cursor much faster with the nub. In particular, though, I hate the way most trackpads feel. The old Dell ones feel like rubbing your finger on sandpaper.
2008-03-07, 11:52 AM #46
actually, this trackpad is quite nice.
i do plan on getting a mouse this wekend. the logitech v220 is only $19.99 at staples right now.
2008-03-07, 12:01 PM #47
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The old Dell ones feel like rubbing your finger on sandpaper.

On the converse, I find the Apple ones to be too smooth, resulting in my fingers sticking to the pad. The ideal surface should feel something like lightly frosted glass.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-07, 2:21 PM #48
Originally posted by Emon:
How is that Mac exclusive? Windows has always been built so that you can operate it entirely without a mouse.

I never said it was - it's just got a more coherent feel to its shortcuts - bearing that in mind, another plus is that unlike a missed keystroke of the windows key, just catching your command key doesn't steal focus from what you're doing.

Oh, and I know there are windows equivalents, but [url=www.blacktree.com]Quicksilver[/url].
2008-03-07, 2:22 PM #49
Originally posted by Emon:
On the converse, I find the Apple ones to be too smooth, resulting in my fingers sticking to the pad. The ideal surface should feel something like lightly frosted glass.

With regards to the old iBooks, I totally agree - my (also old) PowerBook has a much nicer surface, quite like frosted glass actually.
2008-03-07, 3:37 PM #50
Like others said, the nice thing about the nub is the speed. Especially on notebooks with high resolutions and under-sensitive trackpads. Having to lift your finger and reposition whenever you hit the edge of the pad sucks.

Part of the problem with track pad surfaces, I think, is that you have to consider how they're going to wear over time. When I first got my laptop I thought the track pad was fine, but after a year or two my finger didn't glide over it as easily, so as a result I've had to turn the sensitivity way up.
2008-03-07, 3:58 PM #51
Originally posted by fishstickz:
MacBook pro w/ vista.

This striking young chap makes a good point.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-08, 4:57 PM #52
I have a toshiba sattelite and it's been a bit of a disappointment :(
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!