Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Just a note for you people
Just a note for you people
2008-03-06, 3:51 PM #1
http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/15511359/detail.html

A) The TSA guy was a moron for insisting on opening sterile medical equipment.

however...

B) Any moron who puts his/her own life at risk just to get on a plane is more moronic than this TSA screener. If your options are 1) risk death from infection to follow a TSA moron's rules, or 2) don't risk death but miss a flight, PICK #2!
2008-03-06, 3:59 PM #2
It probably didn't occur to the kid that it would be risking his life, not in the moment, under pressure of an authority figure.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-06, 4:00 PM #3
Oh, I just re-read the article. It was a back up feeding tube, he probably didn't think he would need it, it only became a risk to his life when he later just happened to need it and it had already been opened.

Also, anyone happen to notice where this happened? [http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2184/floridagg6.gif] It shouldn't really be that much of a surprise.
2008-03-06, 4:00 PM #4
Originally posted by Emon:
It probably didn't occur to the kid that it would be risking his life, not in the moment, under pressure of an authority figure.

2008-03-06, 4:03 PM #5
Homeland Security on SNL
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-03-06, 4:49 PM #6
With all the fake-bomb and fake-weapon tests getting past airport security, I wouldn't blame TSA employees, seeing that they get the blunt of bad media attention when they fail these "tests", to be a little :tinfoil:. I mean, how many "back-up feeding tubes" you've seen in your life? The way these fake-bomb, fake-bombs test often work is by abusing a airline security's sense of "compassionate understanding", for lack of better terms.

"I have a condition and this is my emergency oxygen tank, would you help me get aboard young man. The oxygen tank is very sensitive so can you not handle it too much!"

"sure thing!"

Report filed days later: BOMB COMPONENTS SMUGGLED PAST AIRPORT SECURITY DISGUISED AS OLD MAN'S OXYGEN TANK. Employee's fell victim to potential terrorist's lies. FAILURE.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-06, 5:01 PM #7
That's a very valid point.

I think at the very least the TSA should be well prepared to handle this sort of thing delicately to prevent contamination.
2008-03-06, 5:03 PM #8
Delicate? Airport security?

might as well give 'em terrists the keys to the white house! :argh:
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-03-06, 5:08 PM #9
That's not a very good analogy, Echoman. A feeding tube in a sealed package is not exactly mysterious. Furthermore, these people are supposed to be trained to spot potentially harmful devices, they should be trained in what medical equipment looks like.
2008-03-06, 5:10 PM #10
Emon, that's like saying "We should teach McDonald's employees how to maintain and utilize proper customer service skills and cleanliness standards."
2008-03-06, 5:14 PM #11
:v:
2008-03-06, 5:19 PM #12
Yeah. But one first has to know that they are in a sticky situation.

When rules were established that required people to take off shoes at the airport screening places, people responded saying it was a ridiculous and heartless policy. People were telling stories where even old ladies were forced to follow such rules and made the security screeners look like totalitarian and oppressive individuals. Yet when stories are published where certain "security-evaluation" bomb components are getting past in scenarios where those screeners' human qualities are exploited, people tend turn around and say those individuals aren't carefully doing their jobs right.

I'm not saying airport security is flawless. Far from it. If I can remember correctly, I read an article awhile ago where a man, hired to evaluate airport security, hid bomb-assembly parts in a medical support used for back (claimed he had a condition where his back need aligning). He insisted and insisted and security just let him through without taking off the support and examining it. Now if you think about it, if the whole thing wasn't a test AND the screener forcefully pressured a man who actually needed such a support to take it off, it would appear in the newspaper stating the airport "harassed a person with a medical condition" or something similar.

Originally posted by Emon:
That's not a very good analogy, Echoman. A feeding tube in a sealed package is not exactly mysterious. Furthermore, these people are supposed to be trained to spot potentially harmful devices, they should be trained in what medical equipment looks like.

True that they should be trained to recognize medical equipment. But there are so many brands of equipment that look different than a "standard" shape and size. Combine this with the pressures of moving along anxious crowds in a incredibly busy airport. It's easier said than done.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-06, 5:52 PM #13
Passengers who travel with medical equipment would do well to travel with a signed letter from their doctor that states they need certain types of medical equipment as well.
Pissed Off?
2008-03-06, 6:15 PM #14
They should have a "special needs" line at the airport. Anyone who has unusual medical needs could go through that line where someone well trained in medical equipment would be qualified to make such calls. Plus this would have the advantage of speeding up the normal lines. It'd be a better result for everyone.
2008-03-06, 6:26 PM #15
We are the agency of Terrorists Searches and Aspoders. It is better to discriminate against those with disabilities or those with funny names than to not feel safe! Said papers could easily be forged or be filled out by a doctor who is supporting the the terrorists. :tinfoil:
2008-03-06, 10:54 PM #16
Not particularly relevant but... Orlando has a really nice airport.
2008-03-06, 10:58 PM #17
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
They should have a "special needs" line at the airport. Anyone who has unusual medical needs could go through that line where someone well trained in medical equipment would be qualified to make such calls. Plus this would have the advantage of speeding up the normal lines. It'd be a better result for everyone.

Not all airports have an area specifically for people with special needs.

TSA will hire basically anyone. Especially if they look like they deserve to get paid almost nothing.
2008-03-06, 11:08 PM #18
Originally posted by Echoman:
With all the fake-bomb and fake-weapon tests getting past airport security, I wouldn't blame TSA employees, seeing that they get the blunt of bad media attention when they fail these "tests", to be a little :tinfoil:. I mean, how many "back-up feeding tubes" you've seen in your life?

Yeah, and how many Congressional Medals of Honor have they seen, either? We can't have people carrying ninja stars onboard planes, now can we.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!