Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → People are jerks!
People are jerks!
2004-08-02, 3:53 PM #1
I just recieved this email:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Dear U.S. Bank valued customer,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the online
banking community we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that your account information needs
to be updated due to inactive customers, fraud and spoof reports.
If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew
your records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.
However, failure to update your records may result in your account suspension.
This notification expires on August 10, 2004.

Once you have updated your account records your internet banking
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Please follow the link below and renew your account information.

U.S. Bank Internet Banking
</font>

I recognized it was a fake immediatly because the link was an IP address and all of the links on the actual page went to www.usbank.com, but for those less computer savvy people those people may have their credit card information [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] The worst thing is that ip address is registered to a girls school in Asia somewhere. What jerks!
2004-08-02, 4:10 PM #2
People are jerks, but then again people who fall for such scams deserve it for being dumb

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-02, 4:13 PM #3
Not necessarily, Avenger. For example, I might not fall for it, but what if my mom did? I'd still suffer for it.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 02, 2004).]
2004-08-02, 4:19 PM #4
One of my coworkers was spoofed on eBay. He had thousands taken from him in identity theft. I saw what he sent around it looked fairly convincing. Spoofers and phishers are getting very sophisticated lately.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-02, 4:29 PM #5
The horrible part is that something like that is INSANELY easy to make. I could whip that up in about an hour tops. There needs to be a way to trace emails. In my personal opinion I think the email system should change from smtp to some other protocal that doesn't allow for spoofing. That would fix most spam problems as well as stupid stuff like this.
2004-08-02, 5:36 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SwedishBorgie:
The worst thing is that ip address is registered to a girls school in Asia somewhere. What jerks! </font>

Oh yes..that is terrible.

*breaks out panty-raid gear*

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-08-02, 6:11 PM #7
I'm with you Jedigreedo

------------------
[url="mailto:redknightanimation@hotmail.com"]mailto:redknightanimation@hotmail.com[/url]redknightanimation@hotmail.com</A>
mailto:redknightanimation@hotmail.comredknightanimation@hotmail.com</A>
2004-08-03, 12:33 PM #8
For the future, how does one use an IP to locate someone's location?
2004-08-03, 12:50 PM #9
There's toys like this floating around the internet. However, since IP addresses aren't registered unless they're tied to a domain name, Borgie is probably talking about looking up whois information. There are several web-based tools available. It gives you supposedly accurate contact information for the owner of a domain. For example, Brian.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited August 03, 2004).]
2004-08-03, 12:56 PM #10
you should report it.

http://www.antiphishing.org/
2004-08-03, 3:06 PM #11
Hey that's pretty cool, Ictus! That first one says I live in Australia. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-08-03, 3:25 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SwedishBorgie:
The worst thing is that ip address is registered to a girls school in Asia somewhere. What jerks! </font>

Who's up for an after-school special? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-03, 3:31 PM #13
*braces*
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-03, 3:31 PM #14
Amsterdam, Netherlands? I think not...

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-03, 4:23 PM #15
it says i'm in virginia... hahaha, try Texas... it's pretty big to miss.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-08-03, 4:42 PM #16
Ha, I KNEW it was a fake as soon as it referred to you as 'valued customer'. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Raynar

------------------
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2004-08-03, 5:17 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
People are jerks, but then again people who fall for such scams deserve it for being dumb
</font>

That was my first thought, but then it got me thinking about it. You should really assume everyone is dumb since there are more people who would make that mistake than those who wouldn't. In other words, that eMail is very clever but atrocious

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-08-03, 7:17 PM #18
I dont ever trust any email like that. People that do stuff like that deserve to be raped by a porcupine.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-03, 10:43 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:

</font>

No, they really don't I think. They may be gullible toward this for whatever reason, such as never really using computers except for things like email and banking. However, this is very different to keeping your wallet in the back pocket of your jeans where it screams "Take me, I have money and I don't like my owner!" At any rate, I don't believe this scamming is something you should condone because the victim fell for it.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-03, 11:30 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
I dont ever trust any email like that. People that do stuff like that deserve to be raped by a porcupine.</font>
It'd probably be more painful the other way around.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-04, 8:42 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by - Tony -:
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming:
I dont ever trust any email like that. People that do stuff like that deserve to be raped by a porcupine.</font>
It'd probably be more painful the other way around.

[/B]

Or both at the same time...?

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-04, 10:05 AM #22
Could one create a lawsuit against this? Possibly?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-04, 11:22 AM #23
It says I live in Australia. (I live in Phoenix.)

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 11:42 AM #24
It can't find me. I'm nowhere.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-04, 3:28 PM #25
Hehe I used the IP finder on the address, it said it was in asia [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] as you can imagine that helped lol. But take everything off the url except for the ip address and it takes you to the school's website [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] this is how I know.

------------------
Bunnies jump farther when you kick em!
2004-08-04, 5:10 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
However, this is very different to keeping your wallet in the back pocket of your jeans where it screams "Take me, I have money and I don't like my owner!"

</font>

Is there something wrong with that? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]
My butt's not numb, you know... if somebody could unbutton my back pocket, reach in, grab my wallet, and pull it out without me ever noticing, they deserve the reciepts I've got in there. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 5:14 PM #27
But wouldn't you be distracted by moments of personal excitement?

------------------

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 5:17 PM #28
You're right. Next time the movie theater starts burning to the ground I'll remember to keep my hand on my wallet.

Honestly, if we're talking about really good pick-pockets, where would YOU keep it? I mean if they're that good, chances are they can get to it in your coat just as easy, or wherever else you put it. To say it's dangerous to put your wallet in your back pocket is to be paranoid.

------------------
2004-08-04, 5:26 PM #29
Nevermind what I said. I think I was too vague (meant something else). Bah.

But there are some expert pick pocketers. Even though, I think, I never was pick-pocketed (I don't carry valuables), I never experienced their work. I thought I heard somewhere that there are some that can steal belts and watches. But that's just unrelated point...

/me shrugs

------------------

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
2004-08-04, 9:56 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
To say it's dangerous to put your wallet in your back pocket is to be paranoid.
</font>

I would agree, but I'm in Finland where guys keep wallets in their back pockets with no sealing of any kind (jeans don't usually have buttons or zippers on the back pocket(s), in fact none of my jeans have had any buttons or zippers on pockets) where it's actually sticking out because jeans don't have very deep back pockets. It's been like this for as long as I can remember; in fact, people probably did this way before I was born. I've noticed this is not purely a Finnish trend, however.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-05, 3:44 PM #31
This topic would make a good coffeetable book

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-08-05, 3:48 PM #32
I don't live in OverPark, Kansas...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-05, 3:53 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
To say it's dangerous to put your wallet in your back pocket is to be paranoid.</font>

Aside from the health hazards.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-05, 11:09 PM #34
(You) at 82-34-60-223.cable.ubr01.gill.blueyonder.co.uk (82.34.60.223) are located in Marina Del Rey, California, United States.

Bwahahaha!!!

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!