Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Atlantis Season 4 finale
Atlantis Season 4 finale
2008-03-08, 9:39 AM #1
Just watched it.

Did anyone else think the falling building at the end was some pretty crappy CG work?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-08, 9:55 AM #2
Yeah, it was pretty amateur considering how awesome the rest of the show was.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-08, 10:56 AM #3
I'd be interested to find out why Michael didn't randomly booby-trap the building in the original timeline.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-03-08, 11:11 AM #4
They got there too late in the original timeline. He was already done with her and that facility by the time they got there.
2008-03-08, 6:17 PM #5
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I'd be interested to find out why Michael didn't randomly booby-trap the building in the original timeline.

As far as we know, he did. But when he left, he took the computer with him, and thus there was nothing left to trigger the big boom...

And ya, that CG was terrible compared to the rest of the show.

I am curious though, was anyone sad during the episode? Cause the writers mentioned in a press release that it'd be a tear-jerker... I for one didn't feel anything for the characters, since I already knew it wasn't actually gonna happen...
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-03-08, 6:27 PM #6
No, nothing at all.

The Deep Space 9 episode where Sisko gets stuck in subspace and Jake spends the rest of his life trying to get him back (and does, resetting the timeline) was like the saddest bit of TV ever.
2008-03-08, 7:20 PM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
No, nothing at all.

The Deep Space 9 episode where Sisko gets stuck in subspace and Jake spends the rest of his life trying to get him back (and does, resetting the timeline) was like the saddest bit of TV ever.

I wanted to put a ****ing bullet in my temple after that episode.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-03-08, 7:57 PM #8
Originally posted by SG-fan:
As far as we know, he did. But when he left, he took the computer with him, and thus there was nothing left to trigger the big boom...

Pffft. That's a problem with terrorists and tech-savvy villains. They are far, far too sure of the stability of their own systems and capability of their users.

"Three failed login attempts." *boom*
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-03-08, 10:30 PM #9
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Pffft. That's a problem with terrorists and tech-savvy villains. They are far, far too sure of the stability of their own systems and capability of their users.

"Three failed login attempts." *boom*

If my computer were rigged, I know I'd be dead by now with my constant mistypings
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-03-09, 1:26 AM #10
Pretty good episode.. not the best season finale though.
I enjoyed it anyhow.
It should have ended with Sheppard walking out of the stargate... that building scene was unnecessary in my opinion... the walls looked like pieces of cardboard falling over lol.
2008-03-09, 4:04 AM #11
Whatever they are paying their writers it is too much. This is some of the worst science fiction I have ever seen.

It was still better than the second-last episode. Remember when Joe Mallozzi was promising all of us that "it's not a fakeout! It's the real Carson Beckett! It's not more of our hackneyed, dollar store script garbage!" and then it turns out that, hahaha, no, it's not the real Carson Beckett at all and that Joe Mallozzi is a liar a douchebag and a hack?
What's worse is that they knew, going into this, that Beckett is one of the fans' favorite characters, but they killed him off anyway and now they're pulling this fakeout crap knowing that it's pissing everybody off. After the fact that his character was killed in a hackneyed postmodernist non-linear suckfest this is just insulting.

I never thought it could get worse after Season 3 but somehow they've managed to find a way. Predictions for season 5: Robert Picardo's inclusion into the main cast will be one long bald joke; Rodney will continue to not develop as a character at all, since the show's producers have apparently decided that the first two seasons of Atlantis were too well-written and well-produced; Ronin will continue to exist much to the dismay of everybody who watches this god awful serie

nevermind, I just quit caring
2008-03-09, 6:29 AM #12
Ronin isn't even that bad. Teyla is terrible though. She's worthless. None of the fans like her. Yet they've decided to make her and her child pivotal for this season. The ****.
2008-03-09, 12:18 PM #13
You know a show gets bad when a baby's involved.

Except Battlestar Galactica (for the most part).

I honestly stopped watching Atlantis regularly in the 3rd season.

I thought they had alot of good stuff and alot of potential, but there's too many changes to the cast, it's already looking like crap SG-1 after they did the same thing.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-03-09, 12:49 PM #14
Originally posted by Veger:
You know a show gets bad when a baby's involved.

Except Battlestar Galactica (for the most part).

I honestly stopped watching Atlantis regularly in the 3rd season.

I thought they had alot of good stuff and alot of potential, but there's too many changes to the cast, it's already looking like crap SG-1 after they did the same thing.

Change of command:
SG-1: West -> Hammond -> (that one guy for that one episode) -> Hammond -> Weir -> O'Neill -> Landry

Atlantis: Weir -> Carter -> Woolsey

Cast Changes:
SG-1: 6: +Quinn -Jackson 7: reverse 6 -Fraiser ( :smith: )8: -Hammond 9: -O'Neill +Mitchell +Landry 10: +Vala

Atlantis: 2: -Ford +Ronin 3: -Beckett (+Keller) 4: -Weir +Carter 5: -Carter -Teyla (one can hope!) +Woolsey

So yeah, Atlantis changes its cast more than I change my oil.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-03-09, 12:59 PM #15
I bet they won't get rid of Teyla. Like Emon said, it appears her baby is pivotal to the Michael story-arc.

I kinda like Ronin, though. To me, he fulfills the quiet-bad***-Teal'C-like role on the team.
2008-03-09, 1:05 PM #16
Yea, the reason sg-1 was great was because we liked the cast so much. Also, because it was "here and now" on earth etc. If they tried in earth a bit more I think it would be more likable. And get rid of Teyla ;)
2008-03-09, 1:55 PM #17
I thought it was a pretty awesome episode, although the ending felt like kind of a cop out
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-09, 3:16 PM #18
Originally posted by fishstickz:
I thought it was a pretty awesome episode, although the ending felt like kind of a cop out

Last Man? It was so rehashed. Pivotal character is transported in time and in the meantime while said pivotal character is away, civilization collapses in on itself. Been there done that.
2008-03-09, 3:30 PM #19
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Yea, the reason sg-1 was great was because we liked the cast so much. Also, because it was "here and now" on earth etc. If they tried in earth a bit more I think it would be more likable. And get rid of Teyla ;)

When a series opens with, "I was going to write a book, but then I'd have to kill everyone who read it," you know it's got potential.
2008-03-09, 5:58 PM #20
Teyla was fine at first, but now she's the least interesting character.

Not a bad finale, but I do agree that the building-explosion was either done in 5 minutes or by an amateur.
2008-03-09, 6:09 PM #21
Teyla being dead was probably the best scene of the series so far.
2008-03-09, 6:39 PM #22
I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon that far. But she is an uninteresting character.

I did take interest in this Staite-Rodney relationship though. Hell, she's been in only one season and has already been in two relationships with the Atlantis team.
2008-03-09, 7:36 PM #23
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Last Man? It was so rehashed. Pivotal character is transported in time and in the meantime while said pivotal character is away, civilization collapses in on itself. Been there done that.

Of course it's rehashed, it's a show on the sci-fi network that's a spinoff of a show on the sci-fi network
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-10, 10:57 AM #24
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I bet they won't get rid of Teyla. Like Emon said, it appears her baby is pivotal to the Michael story-arc.

I kinda like Ronin, though. To me, he fulfills the quiet-bad***-Teal'C-like role on the team.

They could kill her off in the first episode of the next show. I can live with Ronin, but Teyla is just stupid. Bad actor terrible character.
2008-03-10, 11:08 AM #25
Teyla's played by a guy?
2008-03-10, 11:24 AM #26
No a man would look too feminine for her.
2008-03-10, 12:38 PM #27
Haha, I quit caring like a whole season before everyone else. I wasn't even aware that Weir had actually died, I think I missed the episode where it happened and they NEVER said anything about it afterwards till now. I also seem to have no recollection as to what officially happened to Ford...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-03-10, 7:33 PM #28
Commander: Watch the first Season 2 episode, then the third episode, then watch the mid-season two parter for Ford stuff. They haven't featured him recently, even though they left a door open in the last Ford episode.

The end CGI was a bit fake. I immediately figured out it was CGI and not a scale model thing (well, not that the fireball COULD have been in a model).

I also can't imagine Woolsey being anything but an IOA puppet (especially with the scene in the finale). But that fact that he'll HAVE to be in order to make the show not suck is going to be a bit hard to swallow. We'll see how they try to pull it off.

The episode itself was sorta blah I guess but the variety of sets and CG helped it a lot and in the end I liked it. The sandstorm, the hologram McKay, the future SGC.

One thing that keeps nagging at me is that Sheppard's time travel is explained through a glitch in the Atlantis operating system, presumably inadvertently introduced by Rodney. Except that the wormhole never actually went to present-day Atlantis, so Atlantis' operating system never had a chance to affect the wormhole (which I doubt it could anyways... past episodes of Atlantis/SG1 have established that the dialing DHD/Stargate has full control over the wormhole it creates).

2008-03-10, 8:30 PM #29
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
One thing that keeps nagging at me is that Sheppard's time travel is explained through a glitch in the Atlantis operating system, presumably inadvertently introduced by Rodney. Except that the wormhole never actually went to present-day Atlantis, so Atlantis' operating system never had a chance to affect the wormhole (which I doubt it could anyways... past episodes of Atlantis/SG1 have established that the dialing DHD/Stargate has full control over the wormhole it creates).

It went TO Atlantis, but you're right, the goof should have taken place on an outgoing wormhole FROM Atlantis. I didn't think about that (and I'm assuming the writers were hoping nobody else would either).
2008-03-10, 8:57 PM #30
Unless it's possible to bypass the safeties on the receiving end and send an "all clear" message to the sending gate.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-03-10, 10:56 PM #31
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
(and I'm assuming the writers were hoping nobody else would either).

I'm positive the only thing going through the writers' head was "hmm yes this is a good way to illustrate our characters without having to spend years of work developing them"

↑ Up to the top!