Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pommy's Poll 41: Vampires
Pommy's Poll 41: Vampires
2008-03-08, 5:00 PM #1
By dangers, I mean risk of infected blood that results in transmittal of HIV, Hepatitis, allergic reaction, etc.

Discuss.

I think that either they are not susceptible or long ago found a way to make themselves impervious.

[edit: post was edited to clarify dangers]
一个大西瓜
2008-03-08, 5:03 PM #2
And what dangers do blood transfusion recipients face these days? Modern facilities screen blood for issues, such as HIV.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-08, 5:04 PM #3
I'm going to say not since poisoning a vampire wouldn't kill them.
nope.
2008-03-08, 5:12 PM #4
Originally posted by Echoman:
And what dangers do blood transfusion recipients face these days? Modern facilities screen blood for issues, such as HIV.

I recently learned that though the risk of infection is fairly small (Hep B: .0004%, Hep C/HIV: .00005%), it's impossible to have an entirely reliable screen due to things like (just as an example) when someone contracts HIV it's not detectable in the blood for a certain period of time, and if that person donates blood during that time the disease can still be transmitted and there's some logistical issue with re-checking the blood or something because it can't be saved for that many days anyway.
一个大西瓜
2008-03-08, 5:14 PM #5
If it ain't garlic or sunlight, it ain't gonna kill them.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-03-08, 5:28 PM #6
Stake through the heart? Holy Water?

Shooting, drowing, repeating the funeral service or exorcism in some places?

Silver in certain folklore although that usually a werewolf thing.
nope.
2008-03-08, 5:39 PM #7
No because consider how it's ingested, stomach acid would make short work of most blood-borne pathogens.
Stuff
2008-03-08, 6:01 PM #8
They're dead, Jim.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-03-08, 6:02 PM #9
Since Vampires are more like living dead than actually alive, no, blood-borne diseases won't kill them.
2008-03-08, 7:19 PM #10
Would they be afflicted, though? They could be immortal and "live" with something like HIV for the rest of eternity.
一个大西瓜
2008-03-08, 8:44 PM #11
We went over this in VTM - Bloodlines. They aren't affected by them, but they can carry them and well, plague bearer.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-03-08, 10:38 PM #12
Originally posted by Commander 598:
They aren't affected by them, but they can carry them and well, plague bearer.

This is pretty much what I would expect. It wouldn't make much sense for a vampire to suffer the effects of HIV since his immune system is presumably non-functioning anyway.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-03-08, 10:59 PM #13
Originally posted by Commander 598:
We went over this in VTM - Bloodlines. They aren't affected by them, but they can carry them and well, plague bearer.

I'm going with this, since that's what it says in V:tM.
:master::master::master:
2008-03-09, 12:55 AM #14
How long can they carry them? Pathogens, viruses and bacteria, need certain conditions in order to live and remain functional, not to mention multiply. I'm not sure an undead creature's body grants those varying conditions. So, it could be the pathogens are rendered dead after a period of time in their bodies and wouldn't be able to transmit anymore to any subsequent victims a vampire might have.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2008-03-09, 1:24 AM #15
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Silver in certain folklore although that usually a werewolf thing.

Actually it is a vampire thing. Werewolves didn't have weaknesses in the original lore, you could only avoid them by climbing an ash tree or running into a rye field. Hollywood introduced silver.

And why would diseases affect the undead?
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-03-09, 1:45 AM #16
I don't know about hepatitis, but HIV can't survive long outside the body. Unless vampire bodies have the same body temperature and chemistry as ours, I doubt they could even be carriers. Even if they are, the virus certainly wouldn't survive the daytime, when the vampire is indistinguishable from a corpse.

A vampire with an allergy to a specific blood type (not even necessarily related to the one they had when alive) would be believable, though. I'd be surprised if no one's done that yet.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2008-03-09, 7:25 AM #17
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
A vampire with an allergy to a specific blood type (not even necessarily related to the one they had when alive) would be believable, though. I'd be surprised if no one's done that yet.

Why do vampires drink blood? The only logical explanation is they can't produce their own, yet they need it to... uh... unlive. So, it's also logical there isn't anything in their undead corpse that would cause allergic reactions of their own, that is, no blood of their own, including no cells of the immune defense.

However, what if a vampire drinks first blood from one person and then drinks blood from a second person with blood incompatible with the first person? Wouldn't that mean those two foreign bloods inside the vampire would react to each other?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!