Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DO NOT buy Spiderman 2 The Game for PC!!!
DO NOT buy Spiderman 2 The Game for PC!!!
2004-08-05, 10:25 AM #1
Why? It took me 3 hours to finish. 3 hours for £30 (Nearly $55) - that's ludicrous!

What makes matters worse is that the PC version is massively inferior to the XBox version I played in the store - thinking it would be the same, I bought the PC version, and was told that it was the same and "really brilliant." Course you'd say that.

Now they don't normally operate a returns policy, but when I'm misinformed and fleeced that way I think I have some rights. So yeah, there's a health warning for y'all - DO NOT BUY IT!

[EDIT]: I've taken a look on the website, and the XBOX/PS2/GC versions look vastly superior and far more fun (free form world to roam in etc.)

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

[This message has been edited by Gee_4ce (edited August 05, 2004).]
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-05, 10:29 AM #2
Thanks for the heads up. Rental time, I think (GC version)

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"He's a dead man! I'm not havin' a dead man in my cemetary!"
2004-08-05, 10:44 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LividDK27:
Thanks for the heads up. Rental time, I think (GC version)

</font>

Yeah but the GC/XBOX/PS2 version looks infinitely better anyway - it's just the PC version that's a turd in a DVD box.

------------------

2004-08-05, 10:49 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
[EDIT]: I've taken a look on the website, and the XBOX/PS2/GC versions look vastly superior and far more fun (free form world to roam in etc.)

</font>

Wait...the PC version doesn't have the free roaming part? I thought that was the main selling point of the game [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] Plus, had it been included, free roaming would've been just asking for mods (extra areas, more side missions, etc.). What a gyp.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"He's a dead man! I'm not havin' a dead man in my cemetary!"
2004-08-05, 10:55 AM #5
The PC version was made by a different developer and it really sucks. The only difference between the covers, though, is the PC version says "Spiderman: The Game" and the console versions just say "Spiderman."

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-05, 11:03 AM #6
you should have checked gamerankings... the console versions have much higher ratings because they don't suck

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-05, 11:09 AM #7
Geez, it took me 3 hours alone just to beat the frigging Mysterio part. I hated that guy.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-08-05, 11:18 AM #8
That reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2.. first time I played it I beat it in 20 hours or so... the second time I decided to skip all the codec conversations and the cutscenes... took 3 hours and so many minutes to beat it... I remember when Konami's site had the best times list... I should've been in the top 5 (i think number 2 or 3) if people hadn't posted totally bogus times.... but that's another story

------------------
AIM ID: BlueViper192
E-Mail: FCTuner04--//[at]\\--gmail--//[dot]\\--com

RiP -MaDaVentor-
The Limelite
2004-08-05, 11:19 AM #9
The PS2/GC/X-Box versions are INSANELY FUN. The PC version is suck. This is how warez CAN come in handy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 12:10 PM #10
I might just go and break my unwritten rule and swap it in for the PS2 version and play it on my sister's PS2... I might!

------------------

2004-08-05, 12:13 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
I might just go and break my unwritten rule and swap it in for the PS2 version and play it on my sister's PS2... I might!

</font>

Actually maybe I won't... anyone recommend anything good?

------------------

2004-08-05, 12:26 PM #12
Doom3

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-05, 12:27 PM #13
Tsk tsk tsk... that what happens if you get impulsive and not bother researching a game before going out a buy it. Ever since I bought MiB: The game years ago, I absolutely NEVER buy a game until I have played the demo or sampled the full version from someone or in a store. Not even a few game reviews will convince me to buy it without playing it first. So far, I consider this a full proof way of never buying anything that sucks. Just ignore the hype the best you can and let yourself decide if you want it by playing it first before you decide to buy the game.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-05, 12:28 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
Doom3

</font>

Affirmative.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-08-05, 12:31 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
Doom3

</font>

Ahh of course - roll on August 13th.

------------------

2004-08-05, 12:31 PM #16
God, I forgot about MiB, I was GIVEN a copy of that because my mate thought it was so bad - it took me about 10 mins to discover that I had a new coaster on my hands, to go in my pile of AOL free decorations...

In other news Gee_4ce, I just payed a fiver for homeworld and am lovin it!

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-05, 1:05 PM #17
Swedish PC Gamer gave it 24% I think. A sign as good as any.

------------------
"The trick in life is not to find a way to make it perfect, it's to enjoy the good, strengthen your ability to deal with the bad, and keep your eyes looking forward to the good."
-Chelsea Brown
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-05, 2:50 PM #18
The console version is good, but it really had could have been better. It's like a 7/10, I don't feel like typing up an indepth review, but I'll say a couple things.

*Web slinging around New York is extremely fun. It's much more versatile compare to the older games. It's actually physic based. If you release your web line as you swing to your highest peak, you'll be launched up high. If you release it at the bottom, you'll fly straight ahead at a high speed.

*Unfortunately, almost everything esle isn't that great.
--Combat, while improved, doesn't feel that fluid. You have a garrulous list of combos, but you really won't be using most of them. Even worse is that there is only one repetitive, dumb sound effect for fighting. You hear it regardless of where you hit your enemies at or if you slam them into the ground. Spider-man also does not seem to possess spider strength. He can't throw objects like in the past and somehow, enemies are able to block his punches. Hanging people on street lamps are fun though.
--Repetitive voice acting among the citizens. "Get a job!", "Spidey, you're da man!", etc. You only need to play the game for one hour to hear everything the citizens have to say.
--Reptitive super hero tasks. Taking people to the hospital (wouldn't web slinging injured people only make the condition worse?), rescuing people on a sinking boat, rescuing the same hanging worker, beating up robbers, stopping dangerous drivers, and retrieving kids' balloon (extremely annoying! Wait until you hear that damn kid whine "I lost my balloon!!!!". I want to web that kid's mouth so bad.).
--No rewards for getting a 100% (no costumes or movie stuff).
--Compare to EA's Lords of the Ring games. This game does not utilize the license to the fullest. You won't hear any of Danny Elfman's (movie composer) music in the game. Peter's model wears glasses ingame all the time. Speaking of which, they totally skip out on that losing power element, that would had made the gameplay extremely interesting. You don't get to fight Doc Ock. on huge skycrapers, instead you chase him in a helicopter?! The car through the window scene, they really used had just use the fmv from the trailer. The train scene is extremely anti-climatic. You fight Doc Ock. the same way each time. I really would had like to see the final battle requiring Spider-man to knock into the water.
2004-08-06, 7:49 AM #19
Good news - I managed to get my money back (after a lot of arguing my case) and got this lovely little item instead:

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/036715.html

So yay!

------------------

↑ Up to the top!