Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fat Midget Workout
Fat Midget Workout
2008-03-12, 1:43 PM #1
4 months ago, I weighed 101 pounds. The doctor calculates my healthy weight to be anywhere from 85-95 pounds. 10 pounds in my weight is about 40 pounds for the average person. I am considered obese at 110 pounds. If you know anything about dwarfism, high cholesterol and fat can kill us with little to no warning. Many dwarfs have heart attacks before they're 30. I decided to get back down to 90, if not 85. I've become fat and lazy because when I went to college, I stopped getting out of my chair, and stopped regular exercise. Bad idea.

I stopped drinking Mountain Dew and Red Bull 3.5 months ago (minus the monthly reward of a dew or bull), and lost 12 pounds. I now weigh 88-91 pounds. I'm still easily tired and weak, and I have little to no muscle in even my upper body. I decided to start walking once a day for 25 feet. Today was my first day:

I am exhausted, and ashamed that I let myself get so weak. I'm going to supplement the walking with arm bands, pushups, and wall-ups. I'm hoping to gain 5 pounds of muscle, and lose another 8 pounds of fat.

I'm posting this here so that I have someone besides myself to own up to if I slack off. If I don't update you guys in 2 weeks, someone should post a fat-midget thread. I'd appreciate the confidence.

Post your workout/weight loss plans and stories!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 1:49 PM #2
I have no plans or stories, but I wish you good luck, my freaky-fingered friend!
2008-03-12, 1:49 PM #3
Are you going to try and break the world record midget bench press again?
2008-03-12, 1:51 PM #4
You wear socks on your arms. INTERNET
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 1:53 PM #5
Sweet, I walked 25 feet today too. Now I don't have to go to the gym.

(Also, who else was expecting this thread to have a video link?)
Stuff
2008-03-12, 1:53 PM #6
I plan to make a video soon, actually.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 1:53 PM #7
Originally posted by JediKirby:
You wear socks on your arms. INTERNET

But atleast I don't have to lie about them to be important on internet.
2008-03-12, 1:55 PM #8
"Start swimming again" has been in my grandè things-to-do-list since I stopped regularly swimming in 2003. Meh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-03-12, 1:56 PM #9
Good work! That's awesome. Don't worry, we'll make you own up.

I got my stomach paralyzed by some sort of food poisoning or something (they never figured it out) when I was in high school. This ruined my already low calorie intake and caused me to lose a bunch of weight. I was 135lbs and i believe at that time about 6'1-6'2. The issue resolved itself eventually and I went back to 150lbs, still very skinny. So about a year ago I started working out trying to get to a decent weight (and a decent amount of upper body strength).

So, it's rough going because I have a real hard time taking in enough calories in a day to even maintain my weight, let alone gain any. 2500 calories or so is a lot. And I need more than that to actually gain weight.

But despite the slow progress, I am making progress, and I weigh 175 right now on an empty stomach. My strength is still pretty low, but that too is making very slow but sure progress.

Kirbs, can you lift weights? You should if you can.
Warhead[97]
2008-03-12, 1:58 PM #10
Originally posted by Rob:
But atleast I don't have to lie about them to be important on internet.

No, instead you find internet importance by being a yelling boy. And the boots?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 1:59 PM #11
Again.

I'm not making it up on internet.
2008-03-12, 2:00 PM #12
I think I lost about 2-3 stones before I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 years ago. I'm still fairly lean (6'1", about 70kg), although I'm filling out a bit more since I started my new job. Moving kegs and such would be much easier if supplemented by some extra exercise, though, so I'm hoping to start back on my weights soon.
2008-03-12, 2:01 PM #13
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Kirbs, can you lift weights? You should if you can.

I can, but I shouldn't yet. I need to tone the fat down before I can start building the arm muscle. Despite popular belief, I used to lift weights regularly and competitively, and know a great deal about fitness.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 2:04 PM #14
Good on ya, bud. Even if you don't gain much muscle mass, you'll probably get plenty strong anyway. I've misbehaved, and hadn't been to the gym in over a month until a couple days ago. Even though my muscle mass seems to be about the same as it was, I'm not nearly as strong as I was. It just goes to show that the strength isn't totally in size.

For myself, school and other complications are going to make it difficult to exercise much at the moment, but I plan to get back into it seriously this summer. I'm 185 now, and my goal is to reach an even 200 by September. Since I have to do an arseload of cardio for military prep, it may not be feasible, but I'll come out a better man either way.
2008-03-12, 2:04 PM #15
No night jogging though... dont want a repeat of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ebg_JMMM8

Sorry couldnt resist...
2008-03-12, 2:16 PM #16
I jump rope quite a bit, pushups, pullups, situps, chinups etc.

And a bunch of stuff Dud wrote up for me.
nope.
2008-03-12, 2:27 PM #17
I also need to get myself on a work out routine
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-03-12, 3:08 PM #18
eh, i've been running track competitively since 5th grade, and now i'm running on the team here at the college of william and mary. i'm about ready to move on though. at this point in my life i've accomplished about all i'm going to accomplish and i'd love to get into cycling more. i've been doing it on the side, mainly in the summer with my dad. it really is a blast.
yay for not posting much ever
2008-03-12, 3:36 PM #19
Good for you Kirby.
Cutting out the Dew & Red Bull was a wise decision. I dropped that kind of stuff out of my regular snacks/meals months ago and feel so much better. 4 litres of water a day, minimum!
2008-03-12, 4:06 PM #20
That's probably too much for kirbs.
2008-03-12, 4:47 PM #21
Originally posted by Backslash:
Cutting out the Dew & Red Bull was a wise decision. I dropped that kind of stuff out of my regular snacks/meals months ago and feel so much better. 4 litres of water a day, minimum!

One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I've started having a glass of juice and a large cup of water before I go to bed in order to get more water into my system. I hate water.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 5:03 PM #22
after drinking sugary drinks forever of course you'll hate water. Soon you'll be wanting a glass of water more than anything else.
2008-03-12, 5:09 PM #23
I don't really like water unless it's ice cold or I'm extremely thirsty.

Kirby, try adding a slice of fresh lemon to your water. Squeeze out the juice first. It makes it much nicer. Or use some lemon juice if you're lazy, but it's not as good.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-12, 6:16 PM #24
I mostly drink water now.

I changed my diet two years ago and dropped 65 pounds. Went from an XL to a S, 38" waist to a 30"/32" (depending where I buy my jeans.) It was so ridiculously easy to lose I cannot believe I had not done it beforehand.

I got a job that I could walk ~1mi to and back from everyday, added with walking between classes and eating healthy (no junk food or non-diet soda) and the pounds just melted off.

Also, now that I'm an ideal weight, I actually find working out fun - whether it be running or doing free weights.

230 -> 165 and holding for two years.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-03-12, 6:22 PM #25
I really like water. I don't know why; I used to drink a lot of Pepsi Max when I was younger (and still do when I have it), but there's something about water which makes it incredibly satisfying to drink. I have to run the tap a lot to get it how I like it, though. In most places, the water is too warm to have the same freshness when it comes straight out. And it just tastes like...water. I guess it's one of those love-it-or-hate-it things.
2008-03-12, 6:25 PM #26
I thought Pepsi Max was a new drink?

Edit: Guess not... guess it just got new packaging.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-03-12, 7:29 PM #27
I'm ramping up my workouts for the summer. Had my preseason fitness test last Sunday. Had to run a mile and a half, push up, sit ups, and pull ups. Ran in 10:30, did 50 push ups (stopped after 40 seconds of the alloted minute), 63 sit ups in a minute and 5 pull ups. Met the requirements for Hot Shot crews, which is good, but I still need to keep working.

I'm running at least twice a week in addition to playing soccer and lacrosse a few times a week. I'm also reffing lacrosse games on the weekends, which is a great cardio workout.

I lift twice a week and do body weight stuff the days that I run. Now that the weather is getting nice, I'm going to get out and start hiking as well. Need to get my boots broken in.
Pissed Off?
2008-03-12, 8:35 PM #28
That's really great, Kirby, good for you. If you ever need any help or advice, I'd be more than willing to help out and work with you.

The biggest thing is not to give up (obviously), and to pick a minimum to do EVERY day. Your goal of walking 25 feet is great. You said you couldn't do it, and you're embarrased. So pick a time during the day, maybe just before bed or just after you get up, and just do it. Push through it, it every day. One possible idea (I don't know how feasible this is), leave your chair about 25 feet from your bed. This would force you to walk twice a day, but pretty spread out. You would HAVE to walk to bed, and when you get up, you would HAVE to walk to your chair.

Coming up with, AND STICKING TO NO MATTER WHAT, a good routine is really the key to maintaining your exercise/fitness/whatever program.

Like I said, if you'd like to talk more, definitely drop me a line. I'd love to help.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-12, 8:50 PM #29
I'm actually rather good at sticking to a routine. My real issue is if I HAVE to miss a day, starting the day after. Also, the 25 feet is back and forth between my bathroom and my kitchen 10 times, so leaving the chair far away would mean my neighbor's house.

Originally posted by Backslash:
after drinking sugary drinks forever of course you'll hate water. Soon you'll be wanting a glass of water more than anything else.

Milk is actually what made me hate water. I didn't really start drinking a great deal of pop until the summer after I graduated from high school. I also started smoking then, too.

I miss childhood :(
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 8:52 PM #30
I was in excess of 280 pounds. I cut out all non-diet soda, reduced my daily caloric intake to less than 1500 calories, and removed all snacking. I've lost at least 40 pounds in two months - haven't weighed myself since January, but I've been losing weight since then.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-03-12, 9:08 PM #31
Good job Wolfy!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-12, 9:21 PM #32
Originally posted by Wolfy:
....reduced my daily caloric intake to less than 1500 calories....

There is a place by my dorms called Carson's, which is pizza/subs and then pretty much just the store to get basic needs like soda, kleenexes, etc. My usual lunch from them is 2,000 calories alone. I probably take in 4k calories AT LEAST every day, hahaha. Yet I'm 5'11 and 140lbs and don't gain weight. Yay metabolism!

*sigh*....i'm gonna die....
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-03-12, 9:23 PM #33
my goal is to bypass the bakery section at Walmart - I figure that's the best way for me to not gain any weight right now. Considering the fact that I pretty much just ate an entire box of cupcakes, I need to work on my self control.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-03-12, 9:38 PM #34
Originally posted by mscbuck:
There is a place by my dorms called Carson's, which is pizza/subs and then pretty much just the store to get basic needs like soda, kleenexes, etc. My usual lunch from them is 2,000 calories alone. I probably take in 4k calories AT LEAST every day, hahaha. Yet I'm 5'11 and 140lbs and don't gain weight. Yay metabolism!

*sigh*....i'm gonna die....

You also chow down 10 wendys burgers... for FUN.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-03-12, 9:43 PM #35
You can be skinny and still have high cholesterol
2008-03-12, 10:01 PM #36
Cholesterol is overrated. People just latched onto it because it was a easily testable and measurable substance that correlates with a lot of coronary disease. Cholesterol itself isn't the killer.

Which isn't to say you should eat sticks of butter like string cheese. Moderation is the only truly critical part of a diet. I can eat cyonide if I want - in moderation.

That being said, Diet Coke is worse for you than non-diet. "The poison in Diet Coke is aspartame. As a member of the National Soft Drink Association Coke opposed FDA approval of aspartame for beverages. their objections, running to several pages published in the Congressional Record of 5/7/85, said aspartame is uniquely and inherently unstable and breaks down in the can. It decomposes into formaldehyde, methyl alcohol, formic acid, diketopiperazine and other toxins."

Source: http://www.lightparty.com/Health/DietCokeAspartame.html

"Diet soda may not have the sugar or calories of regular soda, but it’s chock-full of other health-draining chemicals, like caffeine, artificial sweeteners, sodium and phosphoric acid. "

Source: http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/dietsoda.aspx
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-12, 10:06 PM #37
Newsflash:

Everything is bad for you and you're going to die anyways.

Carl has the best position on this;

2008-03-13, 4:04 AM #38
Keep it up Kirbs, that is great!

Don't be shy to look me up on MSN (ya i started connecting again) or on Massassi PM's if ever you wanna chit chat about these things, whether for the heck of it or for encouragement. Been studying these body-building, fat loss and diets for a while now, I've lost about 50 pounds in 2 years so I know exactly the devotion it takes to do this!

Go kirby go kirby go!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-03-13, 6:43 AM #39
Not to hijack, but I was wondering if anyone would give me some help, too. My diet is good, and I'm by no means fat, so I'm not looking to lose weight. I just want to tone up the muscle I do have. I used to do a very basic exercise routine regularly (sit-ups/crunches and some weights), but I developed a cyst on the lower part of my back which made the sit-ups rather painful (and I don't think it's a good idea to put pressure on it, anyway...). Does anyone know of some exercises for the same area of the body that won't involve lying on my back? I'd really appreciate it.
2008-03-13, 7:01 AM #40
Check this out, it might be a nice educational tool. Simply select the area you wish to work and swap through the various exercises to find one you like. They also show you which muscles each exercise is aimed at.

Body for Life Exercise Animations

For an alternative to sit-ups and crunches, check out Abs > Single Leg Raises
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless

↑ Up to the top!