Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vista SP1 seems to be released.
Vista SP1 seems to be released.
2008-03-19, 1:58 AM #1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

Its also supposed to be in windows update now, but I couldn't find it. Going to install soon, hopefully it doesn't break anything.

o.0
2008-03-19, 5:58 AM #2
I think it was shown to slow down USB file transfers in tests, although as a whoile it sped up other types of file transfers. Which isn't saying much since XP still beats it easily IIRC.

I'm trying it out in a VM, I'll eventually install it over my own Vista with the integrated install DVD (I found it on the intarwebs).

2008-03-19, 9:51 AM #3
File transfers in Vista are, on average, significantly faster than XP. XP only seems faster because the dialog box closes before some of the writing operations are complete.

In SP1, they switched back to said old method so that perceived performance was faster.

I'm not talking about the actual copy bug where sometimes transfers would be reported to take 6000 years or some such. That was actually fixed a while ago.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-19, 9:57 AM #4
and now i have to wait till i don't need and hour or so on my computer
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-03-19, 10:16 AM #5
I'm not noticing anything different yet. I never had any issues with vista though.

o.0
2008-03-19, 11:22 AM #6
just loaded it on my vista machine. it's not even a legit copy, but everything seems to be working fine.. :confused:

i'm not complaining. i don't see anything different yet though.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-19, 12:08 PM #7
I "think" it's faster...never really thought it was slow before... Meh.

Also: SP1 broke my custom themes! RAWR! (It probably just unhaxed the haxed DLL that allowed them...)
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-03-19, 12:11 PM #8
Boot times seems slightly faster. Also seems to shut down alot faster, where as it used to like linger before shutting down
2008-03-19, 1:16 PM #9
Been using some leaked version for about a month now, Gonna install the legit version tonight. From what i have seen boot/shutdown times are increased and the whole OS generally feels more...responsive.
2008-03-19, 1:44 PM #10
A leaked update? That just seems like a bad idea. Not because it's potentially illegal, but because a patch that isnt finished yet, could be bad for obvious reasons.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-03-19, 1:58 PM #11
I think its from one of the copies that was sent to OEMs, Either way its great and i had no problems.
2008-03-19, 2:48 PM #12
I may be wrong but I believe they call that a Release Candidate.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-03-19, 4:20 PM #13
Actually, it's called a RTM (Released To Manufacturer) copy

Anyways, I think I might try Vista again now with this SP1. I never had too many issues, but I ended up just going back to XP MCE.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-03-19, 5:35 PM #14
RTM is release to manufacturer, which is completed software. SP1 RTM has been available for some time to MSDN and TechNet subscribers, and thus has been leaked. There's actually a registry hack that can trick Windows Update into thinking you are an MSDN subscriber, letting you get it early. :awesome:
2008-03-19, 5:38 PM #15
Unfortunately I would appear to be trying to download it at the same time as you lot across the pond, which means I two error codes when checking for Windows Updates (essentially 'you've been thrown off the server') and on the third go the download rate was glacial, so I've just cancelled it.

Good opportunity to go back through all those updates I didn't do though. Thank God none of them were like the one on Valentine's Day that removed winlogon.exe for a few people (yours truly included).

Good to be back incidentally... anything happened in the year or so I've been away?
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2008-03-19, 6:34 PM #16
Brawl, Orange Box, Some fun.
(Oh sweet lord, the stand alone [450 meg] version downloaded in 12 minutes :awesome:)
I checked the details, and yes i had the RTM version for a while now.
2008-03-19, 7:46 PM #17
Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
Unfortunately I would appear to be trying to download it at the same time as you lot across the pond, which means I two error codes when checking for Windows Updates (essentially 'you've been thrown off the server') and on the third go the download rate was glacial, so I've just cancelled it.

Good opportunity to go back through all those updates I didn't do though. Thank God none of them were like the one on Valentine's Day that removed winlogon.exe for a few people (yours truly included).

Good to be back incidentally... anything happened in the year or so I've been away?

They managed to remove the logon? I never noticed...
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-03-19, 8:50 PM #18
Where the hell did you go? I was just eating an apple, and then massassi was like "Gee_4ce is back!" and it dropped out of my mouth!

Also, I'll probably install it, but only to hold me over until I get the time to reinstall XP.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-19, 8:56 PM #19
Originally posted by happydud:
Also, I'll probably install it, but only to hold me over until I get the time to reinstall XP.

:rolleyes: :psyduck: :rant: :(
2008-03-20, 3:28 AM #20
Originally posted by happydud:
Where the hell did you go? I was just eating an apple, and then massassi was like "Gee_4ce is back!" and it dropped out of my mouth!

That's some very unfortunate news, my condolences to you and your apple. I must admit though I wasn't aware of any such fanfare... but I'll tell you what, it must be fate or something as I recently re-purchased the JK back catalogue after my trade-in sins. I was almost afraid this place had gone the way of TACC, who, god bless them, still have me on their staff file from like... six years ago.

As for SP1, I'm giving it another shot. It's 1030 GMT which means whilst the Land of Hope and Glory is quaffing coffee, the Land of the Free is still asleep, and things appear to moving much faster.

2008-03-20, 4:00 AM #21
Now that is useful. I've just spent 40 minutes downloading the thing only for my parents to turn up at the door wanting to go shopping in Central London.

*Cancel*

Guess I'm going to have to do it AGAIN and set aside an hour later.

2008-03-20, 5:29 AM #22
Why did you cancel? :confused:
2008-03-20, 1:08 PM #23
Good question.
2008-03-20, 2:58 PM #24
Had to shut the PC down. I don't like leaving this thing to its own devices, it does funny things - if it's on, I know I'm sitting at it and can stop it and its episodes of deviancy.

2008-03-20, 3:13 PM #25
Translation: My machine is the electronic equivalent of a hooker from Thailand, if you catch my drift.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-03-20, 3:17 PM #26
Small and asian?

[http://www.hackerstickers.com/images/used/kelvin-vaio.gif]
nope.
2008-03-20, 4:38 PM #27
His computer is dry and filled with viruses?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-20, 4:50 PM #28
It's more the equivalent of Frankenstein's Monster. I was in a hurry to buy parts and motherboards aren't my forte and the assistant palmed me off with an Abit AB9, which is a disaster of a motherboard. He also bundled in some incorrectly voltaged RAM the first time and a HDD that didn't have a cat's chance in hell of working.

It wasn't a fun build, but seems moderately stable now, just still has its moments.

And I still can't download SP1. I've left it too late again and now the servers are clogged solid for anyone east of New York and west of San Francisco. I'm going to have to wait until Easter Sunday morning now as that's when I'm next free for long enough.

2008-03-21, 5:50 AM #29
Well, Windows Update has had five chances now, two earlier this morning, and it's gotten absolutely nowhere. I've gone for the standalone which is downloading as I write and due in about ten minutes, so here's hoping!

2008-03-21, 7:19 AM #30
I haven't booted to Vista in at least a month, but I'll update when I do.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-03-21, 1:04 PM #31
I love this update. I understand why they changed file copies in the first place as it is less disingenuous, but the fact is, I like to know when the actualy NETWORK TRANSFER is done, because I'm quite often copying over wireless on my way out the door. So that change in the dialog behavior is great.

Also in SP1, they fixed the "calculating time remaining" bug. That was simply a bug, it took way too much time to calculate and wasnt anymore accurate.

Another thing I immediately noticed about SP1 is that windows connects to wireless networks more or less immediately when it comes out of hibernation now. Before, I had to wait a couple minutes before it would connect.

It's not a HUGE update, but it IS a rollup of all of the patches that provides a few needed improvements that are specific to SP1. I can't imagine not installing it, and I'm certainly enjoying Vista as a whole quite a bit!
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-03-21, 6:19 PM #32
Wow i just realized something, i've had a 100% uptime with Vista SP1, not a single crash since i installed video card drivers.
2008-03-22, 4:08 PM #33
Vista SP1 convert over here as well - the installation was flawless, took about 45 minutes and has definitely improved things. I did indeed go for the standalone in the end, was far less painful.

2008-03-22, 4:09 PM #34
I was having problems running DOW: Soulstorm, like studdering gameplay.

After I installed SP1 it started working fine.
2008-03-22, 8:20 PM #35
Tib: Video card drivers CAN'T cause BSoDs anymore I think... I guess they must run in user space now. Anyways I've had them crash but Vista usually restarts them.

nVidia's XP drivers seem to have a similar protection built into them now (one less reason for Vista) although it's limited to switching you to a generic VGA driver until you restart Windows.

2008-03-22, 9:55 PM #36
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:

nVidia's XP drivers seem to have a similar protection built into them now (one less reason for Vista) although it's limited to switching you to a generic VGA driver until you restart Windows.

Really? Because my nVidia card is no stranger to BSODs. (on XP)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-24, 12:32 PM #37
By the way, to anyone anxious to install SP1:

If it doesn't appear on Windows Update, it probably won't install properly.

So don't go downloading the standalone installer and hoping for the best, because so far reports have been flaky at best. Windows Update checks for a list of drivers it deems won't work in SP1 right now, and if it finds those it won't display SP1. (It also won't display SP1 if you have other language packs installed, the multilanguage SP1 doesn't come out until April)

My PC didn't show SP1 at first because I had an issue (I didn't even notice!) with some random USB device, and Creative's sound drivers weren't happy with SP1. I forced Windows to reinstall the USB device, and found some hacked-together X-FI for Audigy drivers on Creative's forums and bam, Windows Update showed SP1. It's currently installing now, results soon! :D
2008-03-24, 12:35 PM #38
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Creative's sound drivers weren't happy with SP1.

hahahahahaha, surprise = 0
2008-03-24, 1:43 PM #39
Creative! :argh:
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-03-24, 1:53 PM #40
And I'm back, and on SP1! No complaints, although there's certainly a bit of warmup time (it clears all of your cached information from bootups and regular usage data).

Also, to those of you using Creative cards that aren't X-Fi, I highly recommend getting one of the "Vista Support Packs" off the soundblaster forums. They're amazing, and really show how horrible Creative is (since nearly everything works with the hacked drivers, rather than almost nothing with the default Creative drivers). Like seriously, tons of stuff suddenly works. DTS/Digital decoding? Works. CMSS/2? Works. EAX? Works. ALchemy? Works. MIDI configuration? Works. Speaker Settings syncing and saving? Works.

↑ Up to the top!