Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I don't feel safe anymore.....
I don't feel safe anymore.....
2004-08-04, 8:13 PM #1
The war on terror is a losing battle when anyone can make an h-bomb (or an a-bomb if they are less ambitious) in their f***ing house. I'm serious. I know someone that is an uber-right wing conspiracy nut, and for some reason we were talking about how easy it would be for potential terrorists to learn how to make poisons or nerve gas, etc. online. I was convinced that it wouldn't be so easy to find, but he told me that that was the least of it. He told me to google "build an H-bomb" and click on the first result that came up. I decided to see for myself and I did what he said, and i was blown away.

For one, i was shocked that you can purchase unenriched U-238 from any chemical supply company? You can also purchase the stuff you need to extract and enrich the fissionable isotope (Uranium 235)from the low-grade stuff that you bought.

It also goes into assembly, and other scary s*** in step-by-step instructions. The fact that any terrorist can read the guide and obtain the materials to build an a-bomb really scares me. this is not any piss-ant dirty bomb, either. This is a f***ing 5 MEGATON bomb, capable of turning a city to a fine powdery residue. It only takes 4 of these things and some lithium hydride at $40 a pound to make arefigerator-sized h-bomb.

I'm not linking to the article here (Is a nuculear device recipe against the forum rules? probably.), but you can run the search if you want to see for yourself.

I'm hardly a nuculear expert (I know how a nuke worked prior to reading this, b/c the info was de-classified and i read about it in a book about the manhattan project) but this stuff is incredibly dangerous and you have to be absolutely out of your mind to even THINK about attempting something like this.

If info like this is so easily available with a casual google search, a terrorist could do something that will make 9-11 look like nothing. This is some scary s***. What's even more scary is that the government has done nothing about stuff like this.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 8:16 PM #2
expect the fbi to be knocking down your door while you sleep for looking at that...

just kidding... i hope

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-04, 8:17 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
expect the fbi to be knocking down your door while you sleep for looking at that...

just kidding... i hope

</font>

They can't, b/c of the freedom of information act. (or so it seems to me)

Great... so now I know how to make an h-bomb.
good thing i'm not with Al-Queda, or you guys would be in real deep s*** right now. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 8:20 PM #4
I agree. But like you said, it's extremely dangerous to dabble with stuff like that so I'm hoping that deters a lot of terrorists.

Also, it's nice to assume that the CIA/FBI keeps tabs on people ordering ingredients for making such a device.

Have you seen the 'This Land' video on www.jibjab.com? it's fun.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-04, 8:23 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
Have you seen the 'This Land' video on www.jibjab.com? it's fun.</font>

That's the 3rd or 4th time... I loose track [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-04, 8:43 PM #6
haha! I had a great time reading those "instructions"...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">After your A-bomb is completed you'll have a pile of moderately fatal radioactive wastes like U-238. These are not dangerous, but you do have to get rid of them. You can flush leftovers down the toilet. (Don't worry about polluting the ocean, there is already so much radioactive waste there, a few more bucketfuls won't make any waves whatsoever.) If you're the fastidious type -- the kind who never leaves gum under their seat at the movies -- you can seal the nasty stuff in coffee cans and bury it in the backyard, just like Uncle Sam does. If the neighbor kids have a habit of trampling the lawn, tell them to play over by the waste. </font>

LMAO!

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

New! Fireworks T-shirts!

[This message has been edited by Katt (edited August 05, 2004).]
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-08-04, 8:46 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Katt:
haha! I had a great time reading those "instructions"...

LMAO!

</font>

that's not funny, that's just sick, assuming its true. Yeah, tell the neighbourhood kids to play near your personal nuclear waste dump. Only a total sociopath could laugh at that.

------------------
2004-08-04, 9:35 PM #8
I find it funny, too.

------------------
Empty.
2004-08-04, 9:40 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

that's not funny, that's just sick, assuming its true. Yeah, tell the neighbourhood kids to play near your personal nuclear waste dump. Only a total sociopath could laugh at that.

</font>

so just because YOU don't find it funny it means it's wrong for anyone else to...

i won't say anything beyond that

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-04, 9:54 PM #10
Quit overreacting.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

And I very *highly* doubt it's possible to inconspicuously gather enough nuclear material for a 5-megaton h-bomb. There's a reason why 99% of the world doesn't have them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

I found the quote quite hilarious myself.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-04, 10:00 PM #11
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Flexor/comics/hbomb.jpg]

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-04, 10:04 PM #12
Quote:

</font>

Lighten up, man. Did you not notice that the whole thing was written in a joking manner, and posted to a humor newsgroup? It was written more than a decade ago, and has since been posted on hundreds of websites and newsgroups. Maybe I just have a sick sense of humor, but I found it to be funny, which I am fairly certain was the author's intention. No, not the concept of children being sickened by radiation, but the tone of the writing and the absurdity of the thing as a whole.

Before running into your fallout shelter and accusing me of being a sociopath for finding humor in this "recipe", try doing a bit of research: run that same search through Google's newsgroups, and see what the assorted explosives experts, chemists, and physicists say about the impossibility of anyone ever even coming close to building their own thermonuclear weapon.

------------------

New! Fireworks T-shirts!

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-08-04, 10:08 PM #13
Quote:
[http://www.pwizard.com/flexor.jpg]

</font>

s***, maybe I did overeact, come to think of it. I haven't slept in days due to insomnia. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
2004-08-04, 10:09 PM #14
ok that's it i'm reporting you to the fbi... since you just threatened to detonate a nuclear weapon in canadia with that image...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-04, 10:10 PM #15
Quote:
ok that's it i'm reporting you to the fbi... since you just threatened to detonate a nuclear weapon in canadia with that image...

</font>

seriously, lets think for a minute. why would i waste a perfectly good bomb on flexor? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 05, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 10:11 PM #16
Quote:

</font>

heheh, don't worry, their bots have already picked it up! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-04, 10:23 PM #17
Thanks for making me look stupid. However, I'm relieved to know that it is a joke, so it kind of makes it worth it.

I know you guys will probably go to any and all lengths to take cheap shots at me for this and other incidents, so go ahead, do your worst. Like I give a f***. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I'm going to try and get some sleep so i can start sorting thoughts out again.

------------------
2004-08-04, 10:59 PM #18
Haha, we'll all look back on this and laugh when I take over the world with my army of Paper mache robots.

------------------
My Xanga
2004-08-05, 4:14 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">For one, i was shocked that you can purchase unenriched U-238 from any chemical supply company? You can also purchase the stuff you need to extract and enrich the fissionable isotope (Uranium 235)from the low-grade stuff that you bought. </font>

I hate to say it, but no... You can buy low-grade uranium, filch it from your school, whatever, but even using relatively high-tech refining methods, you're going to need 3 tonnes of it before you've got enough HEU for a bomb.

When UNSCOM went through Iraq, they had 2 major refining facilities, ah... I forget how they worked, one was a series of centrifuges that separated U-235 from U-238 by centripetal forces, another was I think electromagnetism based. At any rate they'd been working on them for about 3 years, most estimates put it at 3-5 years before they had enough for a bomb. The centrifuge method was the less efficient of the two by far, the other method would have produced the goods sooner.

I'm not sure about plutonium, although I think you're only going to have luck there if you have a reactor going, at any rate Iraq's h-bomb plans were shot in the foot when Israel bombed their Karnak reactor in ~1981.
2004-08-05, 4:33 AM #20
so what if a nuke goes off over your head, its not like you'll care... those last few milliseconds of your life will be over too quickly.

people are getting way too riled up about terrorism all of a sudden as if its something new... just chill, if you die you die, no need to make bad about it beforehand.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-05, 5:09 AM #21
All chemical companies keep a very tight watch on what you buy and how much of it, for one thing. Secondly, H-Bombs have been around for a while, so have Chemical Companies. If it were so easy, don't you think high-school kids would be blowing their city up, instead of shooting up their school? I don't know, but I think you're just threatened that the author of this joke is cooler, and more of a pimp than you.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-05, 6:41 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I don't know, but I think you're just threatened that the author of this joke is cooler, and more of a pimp than you.

</font>

Yeah, sure, whatever.

------------------
2004-08-05, 7:05 AM #23
Your fear amuses me.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-05, 7:22 AM #24
'Fear is the mindkiller, the little death..'

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What's even more scary is that the government has done nothing about stuff like this.</font>

What exactly would you like them to do?? Go around the world and take anything radioactive explosive or potentially sharp away from everywhere in the world, leaving us with a supply of Safety-Scissors which would then become the next terrorist weapon?

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-08-05, 7:32 AM #25
Page, are you the kind of person that would get nervous to hear that I've owned two pistols since I was 15 or 16 years old? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-05, 7:34 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Page, are you the kind of person that would get nervous to hear that I've owned two pistols since I was 15 or 16 years old? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Don't forget your head collection. Man!

------------------
2004-08-05, 7:35 AM #27
[http://dor.nullmind.org/arc/boasas378-candles.gif]

At least be glad you don't have a hail of stones follow you everywhere you go, that would make you feel even less safe.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-08-05, 8:13 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:

</font>

nah. I have no problem with guns. NRA forever!

------------------
2004-08-05, 8:37 AM #29
Quote:

[http://www.pwizard.com/flexor.jpg]
</font>

Only a total sociopath could laugh at that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited August 05, 2004).]
2004-08-05, 8:42 AM #30
True SG, but Flexor is the one who started the mocking...and I won't bring up the topic about admins who are supposed to be mature :rollseyes:

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited August 05, 2004).]
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-05, 9:00 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
Only a total sociopath could laugh at that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

Oh but think of the good side.. 10,000 LESS CANADIANS! WHOOO!!!

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-05, 9:06 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
Oh but think of the good side.. 10,000 LESS CANADIANS! WHOOO!!!

</font>

So... no more Canadians?

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-05, 9:13 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
and I won't bring up the topic about admins who are supposed to be mature :rollseyes:

</font>

funny, looks like a plug to bring it up to me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-08-05, 9:17 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
True SG, but Flexor is the one who started the mocking...and I won't bring up the topic about admins who are supposed to be mature :rollseyes:

</font>

Sorry, I guess I forgot how maturity is a synonym of having no sense of humor.

------------------
2004-08-05, 9:38 AM #35
Let's not turn this wonderful testament of pagewizard's paranoia into a hive of flaming, ok?

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-08-05, 9:54 AM #36
In light of this, we need some one who is MORE tough on terror than Bush. Bush is ok, but he's a bit liberal and he keeps doing expensive unneccesary things to appeal to the democrats.(and they just hate him for it) He just needs to go out there and take out any nation that harbors terrorists. Give 'em 10 days warning time to hand them over or we bomb their government untill we can send troops in. It looks like all that's gonna wake this nation up is a nuke going off in downtown Manhatten. You'd think 9/11 would have done it, but no.
2004-08-05, 9:57 AM #37
bush ... is... liberal...?

You've just made my day!

------------------
2004-08-05, 10:31 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
so what if a nuke goes off over your head, its not like you'll care... those last few milliseconds of your life will be over too quickly.</font>

That's if you're one of the lucky souls who dies in the initial blast. There are people who survive, and their deaths are some of the worse imaginable.

I don't know why Page is afraid of the threat of someone building an H-Bomb. I'd think the fact that someone could construct moderately effective chemical and biological weapons in their garage with common materials that aren't considered suspicious within a very small amount of time would be far more frightening.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-05, 10:55 AM #39
Quote:
I'm hardly a nuculear expert</font>
Clearly not, if you think there are three syllables in "nuclear". [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-05, 12:10 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
I don't know why Page is afraid of the threat of someone building an H-Bomb. I'd think the fact that someone could construct moderately effective chemical and biological weapons in their garage with common materials that aren't considered suspicious within a very small amount of time would be far more frightening.

</font>

Indeed, Roach

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!