Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Scroll lock key.
Scroll lock key.
2008-03-28, 11:52 AM #1
Answer honestly, do you know what the scroll lock key is actually intended for? Other than turn on a little light on the keyboard?

After all my years of using a keyboard and computer, I finally bothered to look up what the key does today (on Wikipedia). Go me. I don't think I've ever used it for its intended purpose, not ever binding it to game functions, CAD options and such. I always believed it did something with, well, scrolling, so I was somewhat right.

Let's celebrate how useless the key is. Maybe one day we can kill it off, along with it's near-dead and abused cousin, CAPS LOCK.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-28, 11:53 AM #2
Yes, I know what it's for. I've actually used it before, too.

Edit: Uh wow, I guess I didn't really know what it was for. I thought it was for locking terminal output, which is what I've used it for.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-28, 11:56 AM #3
I never remember what it does so I always have to check it.

First I thought it was meant to lock the screen in MS-DOS when you used "dir" and got like 5000 files listed with no breaks so you could have just stopped the screen with the button... oh well.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-03-28, 12:00 PM #4
I know what it's intended use is, but now it's just used for ventrillo.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-28, 12:01 PM #5
My new keyboard doesn't even have one.
2008-03-28, 12:07 PM #6
Originally posted by Emon:
Yes, I know what it's for. I've actually used it before, too.

Edit: Uh wow, I guess I didn't really know what it was for. I thought it was for locking terminal output, which is what I've used it for.

I thought that's what it was for too. Well you learn something new (and useless) every day.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2008-03-28, 12:17 PM #7
Originally posted by fishstickz:
I know what it's intended use is

Do you? Look it up to be sure.
2008-03-28, 12:19 PM #8
hitting scroll lock always screwed up Mechwarrior 4, thats all i know pretty much
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-03-28, 12:20 PM #9
Originally posted by Echoman:
Maybe one day we can kill it off, along with it's near-dead and abused cousin, CAPS LOCK.

I use caps lock a lot. (And I don't mean I use it with forums)

I've never used the scroll lock, though.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-28, 12:23 PM #10
I rarely use caps lock. I can't remember the last time I actually used it. Using the Logitech SetPoint software, I just disabled it so I don't have to mess with it at all.
2008-03-28, 12:26 PM #11
I knew, because I looked it up on Wikipedia before.

2008-03-28, 12:27 PM #12
I USE CAPSLOCK ALL THE TIME. IN FACT GUESS WHAT? I'M USING IT RIGHT NOW.

I ONCE KNEW WHAT THE SCROL LOCK DID, BUT HAVE SINCE THEN FORGOTTEN.
2008-03-28, 12:32 PM #13
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I use caps lock a lot. (And I don't mean I use it with forums)

As the button itself or for it's intended purpose of MAKING BIG LETTERS?

I became so use to using Shift that if I ever need a PARAGRAPH OF UPPER CASE WORDS, I just hold Shift and peck away. If anything, the Caps Lock acts as more of a nuisance when I accidentally press that instead of Shift. Not only that, I have to press it again to undo the mistake (which matters when I am typing fast.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-28, 12:49 PM #14
Originally posted by Emon:
Do you? Look it up to be sure.

No, I just said I knew what it's intended use was for sh**s and giggles.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-28, 1:07 PM #15
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
2008-03-28, 1:11 PM #16
My laptop doesn't have one :(
一个大西瓜
2008-03-28, 2:09 PM #17
I knew what it was for. In a FreeBSD virtual console, it works like the original IBM implementation.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-03-28, 2:12 PM #18
i know what it did back in the dos days. my mac doesn't have one.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-28, 2:13 PM #19
I love how I have read this whole thread and I still don't know what it's for

It's just a bunch of people saying they know what it's for
2008-03-28, 2:32 PM #20
i went to wiki and I still don't understand what it does..

the key appears to do nothing on my pc
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-03-28, 2:57 PM #21
I have never used the scroll lock for its intended purpose before... because like everyone else, don't even know what the hell it does. It's only useful for binding commands to for something like vent or fraps since you'll know for sure it won't conflict with another command in a program like a game.

BTW, my new keyboard I got a while ago has this stupid "F lock" key. Apparently I need to have this stupid key on in order for my function keys to work. If it's off, it'll execute commands like help, undo, redo, new document, open document, etc. The keyboard is a Microsoft brand so apparently these commands were meant for use with Microsoft Office. Stupid Microsoft trying to find ways to get people to buy their software by making their hardware design for it :argh:
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-03-28, 3:16 PM #22
Flock is pretty ****ing awesome.

I think you suck for not liking it.
2008-03-28, 4:43 PM #23
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
i went to wiki and I still don't understand what it does..

the key appears to do nothing on my pc

Try going into Excel, turning it on, and using the arrow keys. Instead of the selection moving up and down, the scrollbar will move. Its original behavior in consoles was much like this.

A girl at work bought herself a keyboard because the one we gave her was beige and all her PC stuff was black. It didn't have a scroll lock key, and her KVM switch (she has two computers) requires one to switch between systems (doesn't have a physical button either, go Belkin). She had to return it. Good times.
2008-03-28, 10:12 PM #24
Originally posted by Rob:
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

I AGREE WITH ROB 100%

But honestly, I didn't know what scroll lock did until I saw this thread and looked it up.
2008-03-28, 10:20 PM #25
I didn't know what it was for either. My new keyboard doesn't even come with this key.

↑ Up to the top!