Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Scars on Broadway
Scars on Broadway
2008-03-28, 7:05 PM #1
[url]www.myspace.com/scarsonbroadway[/url]

The first song from the band came out today. Not to shabby.

Scars on Broadway is the new band from Daron (Guitarist for System of a Down)

It's kind of punkish, I hear the rest of the tracks are a bit more technical and electronic, but I am enjoying this song so far.

Thoughts? Hate? Flame baiting?
Think while it's still legal.
2008-03-28, 7:11 PM #2
Cheesy as hell but I enjoyed it.

:D
nope.
2008-03-28, 11:15 PM #3
I kind of became a bit obsessed with the song and I tabbed it and covered it already. I'll post that tommorow, but for now enjoy the song.

Quick sloppy tab:

The song is really simple

It's in drop C (C-G-C-F-A-D)

I came up with 1-11111 | 6-66666 | 4-44444 | 3-33333 for the main part (first played on the top string, then played with the top 3) and for the 'other' part I got 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4 | 8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8 (played on the top 3 strings, repeated and played heavier and longer the second time)

as for the string diddling, I think it's the A-string on the 9th fret but I could be very wrong. I'm doing this on an acoustic guitar.
2008-03-29, 1:21 AM #4
Awful songwriting. The music itself sounds like some sort of amalgamation between punk instrumentation and a metal singer. I cannot say that I really care for it, but I would have to listen to some of their other songs before solidifying my opinion.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-03-29, 2:21 AM #5
i think it's pretty ****ty.
and i'm not just saying that because it's soad related i just didn't like the song
:master::master::master:
2008-03-29, 9:28 AM #6
Yeah, it made me giggle.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-29, 9:30 AM #7
its as bad as serjs solo stuff
2008-03-29, 9:31 AM #8
i just got a cd by a guy called Brownie McGhee, he is way better than this gay virgin
2008-03-29, 10:55 AM #9
pretty lame :/

I'll post an alternate tab I made because this version I think is a llittle more accurate

Tuning (Duh-duh-duh-duh-duh)

Code:
Intro and Verse/Chorus (Repeat 28x)
|-----------------------|-----------------------|-----------------------|------------------------------|
|duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh|-----------------------|-----------------------|------------------------------|
|-----------------------|duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh|-----------------------|------------------------------|
|-----------------------|-----------------------|duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh|------------------------------|
|-----------------------|-----------------------|-----------------------|duh-duh-duh-duh-DUHDUH--------|
|-----------------------|-----------------------|-----------------------|------------------------------|
2008-03-29, 11:01 AM #10
forgot the footnote

*never listen to a good song, ever, INSPIRED
2008-03-29, 3:36 PM #11
[Cover re-posted below.]
2008-03-29, 4:20 PM #12
Uhg.

I thought you stopped pretending you were a musician and were going to concentrate on pretending to be a good writer.
2008-03-29, 4:22 PM #13
Originally posted by Rob:
Uhg.

I thought you stopped pretending you were a musician and were going to concentrate on pretending to be a good writer.

Quote:
We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

QED biatches
2008-03-29, 4:26 PM #14
Originally posted by SAJN:
Right, well I like it, and I decided to cover it. My voice isn't spectacular, but here it is anyhow...

Despite my poking, I would like to hear your version... but that video is no longer available?
2008-03-29, 4:48 PM #15
For some reason youtube doesn't like it when I post newly uploaded movies. It played the video earlier. Hold on while I re-upload.
2008-03-29, 5:16 PM #16
[Edit: Youtube blows.]
2008-03-29, 6:39 PM #17
Okay, now for SERIOUS, it should be working.

2008-03-29, 6:53 PM #18
The song sounded... alright. I guess. Didnt really do anything for me.

Also, i refuse to listen to your cover based on the fact that the images directly match the words.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-03-30, 10:40 AM #19
Originally posted by mb:
Also, i refuse to listen to your cover based on the fact that the images directly match the words.

Men at Work perfected this type of art form with "Land Down Under." To be honest, their work is much better. You can judge it for yourself:

[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-03-30, 10:57 AM #20
That is so horrible, SAJN. How do you NOT recognize horrible lyrics? Are your ears closed? I've got a mind to release an entire spoof album of SOAD-esque music, and you'll see just how easy it is to write a SOAD song.

Also, I looked at Serj's "poetry" book the other day. Holy crap, if it weren't for his being a famous musician (whored out by the exact "establishment" that he 'fights' against. He's the Fred Durst to ICP etc) there is no publisher that would touch that crap with a 10 foot pole. It's like he took the worst line from each of my 9th grade poetry writing students, removed any complex sentences, and someone paid half a million to release it worldwide.

I'm sickened by your repeatedly demonstrated lack of taste.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-30, 11:49 AM #21
Saul Williams has to disagree with you Kirby.

"Serj's words, like his voice, have a distinct aesthetic sensibility connected to an unyielding, visceral roar of passion. His capacity 'to mock a killing bird' while we wonder at the grace, beauty, and colorful range of his wingspan will be the trademark of both of his singing and writing careers. Serj is an amazing artist, full of passion, with a beautiful heart that pumps the essence of his vision and talent."

As for Serj being a sell out MTV generation part of the 'establishment' I have to disagree on hundreds of billions of levels. So many musicians ***** about the world today, but not many actually do something about it. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23768534/

Not only his work for the enviornment, but his political activism as well. Visiting members of congress, and setting up organizations to spread information and help less fortunate people. [url]www.electthedead.com[/url] , [url]www.skyisover.net[/url] , [url]www.axisofjustice.org[/url]
2008-03-30, 11:50 AM #22
look at me quote some guy who likes what i like
2008-03-30, 11:54 AM #23
inevitable rise and liberation of niggy tardust
2008-03-30, 11:57 AM #24
2008-03-30, 1:28 PM #25
It's kind of catchy and sounds kinda cool, but it's ultimately empty. I mean..I almost never care about lyrics, and this is no different. Nothing jumped out at me. The song is also incredibly forgettable. The only thing that jumps out at me about the music is that little guitar wailing, and it's pretty boring after the novelty wears off. If he's the guitarist for a huge band, why does this song sound like something I could play?
Warhead[97]
2008-03-30, 1:37 PM #26
because you said huge band and not skilled band
2008-03-30, 1:39 PM #27
It's something you most likley can play. It's about 4 chords played over and over for almost 3 minutes. It's even more simple than the songs he was writing in 1998 for System of a Down, and most likley simply because it fit the song he was making. He's a good guitarist, and I don't doubt the rest of the album will be more unique (I hear he wants to have a lot of electronics in the music as well). John Dolmayan is the drummer in Scars on Broadway (Also from System of a Down), and the drumming in this is so simple, you could also play that. Even though John is known as one of the best drummers in modern rock because of his unique playing style, this song is just overall simple. It's a teaser of songs to come, and I think it serves it's purpose. It's catchy, short, and to the point. Every song ever made doesn't have to be a lyrical or musical masterpiece, it just has to be enjoyable to listen to. And I think it is. It's simple, catchy and I can jam along to it.

As for saying System of a Down isn't a skilled band, obviously I'm going to defend them, but if only for the reason that no other band sounds like SOAD. It's very original music, and all of it's musicians are known for being some of the best in music today. Serj's solo album 'Elect the Dead' is a solo album in every sense of the word. He played all the instruments himself on the record, wrote, and produced it. It's been a very highly reviewed and recieved record. These guys aren't famous for nothing. They are one of the most widley known bands because they are original.
2008-03-30, 2:21 PM #28
Conclusion of thread;

Song is horrible
Cover is horrible
No one cares about SOAD
2008-03-30, 2:48 PM #29
What? Banal appeal means talented? SAJN, YOU played the song. Doesn't that turn up a few red lights?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-30, 2:54 PM #30
Originally posted by SAJN:
It's something you most likley can play. It's about 4 chords played over and over for almost 3 minutes. It's even more simple than the songs he was writing in 1998 for System of a Down, and most likley simply because it fit the song he was making. He's a good guitarist, and I don't doubt the rest of the album will be more unique (I hear he wants to have a lot of electronics in the music as well). John Dolmayan is the drummer in Scars on Broadway (Also from System of a Down), and the drumming in this is so simple, you could also play that. Even though John is known as one of the best drummers in modern rock because of his unique playing style, this song is just overall simple. It's a teaser of songs to come, and I think it serves it's purpose. It's catchy, short, and to the point. Every song ever made doesn't have to be a lyrical or musical masterpiece, it just has to be enjoyable to listen to. And I think it is. It's simple, catchy and I can jam along to it.

As for saying System of a Down isn't a skilled band, obviously I'm going to defend them, but if only for the reason that no other band sounds like SOAD. It's very original music, and all of it's musicians are known for being some of the best in music today. Serj's solo album 'Elect the Dead' is a solo album in every sense of the word. He played all the instruments himself on the record, wrote, and produced it. It's been a very highly reviewed and recieved record. These guys aren't famous for nothing. They are one of the most widley known bands because they are original.

tl;dr: i like this song
2008-03-30, 3:50 PM #31
Originally posted by JediKirby:
What? Banal appeal means talented? SAJN, YOU played the song. Doesn't that turn up a few red lights?

No? I'm pretty freaking good at guitar compared to when I first started. I'll gladly post some material of mine if it will shut you up too.

And it also doesn't bother me because even though someone just learning guitar could play that song I've seen Daron solo, I've heard his other music, and I know he can play better. Like I said, a simple song doesn't mean a bad song. It's lyrically and musically to the point, and that's refreshing every now and again. If the entire album was like that I'd say it was crap, but a few select songs, I don't mind.
2008-03-30, 4:14 PM #32
Im not complaining about the simplicity, but i wouldnt call this refreshing. I do like that guitar "solo" bit that comes early on.

It just bores me :/
2008-03-30, 4:25 PM #33
I'm not saying you have to like it, I am just saying you can't say the band is garbage because the song is simple. Example, System of a Down's biggest single was Aerials, and that song is one of the easiest songs I know how to play. The later released single a few years later 'Question!' was a very complex song with tricky bass, three guitars, different tunings, and five time signatures. It wasn't really considered a hit compared to their other singles.
2008-03-30, 4:37 PM #34
Popular != Talented. Stop saying that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-03-30, 4:56 PM #35
Im not saying its bad because its simple. Im saying I dont like it because its boring. Bland. or just meh.

Im fine with you liking it, im telling you why i dont
2008-03-30, 4:59 PM #36
Oh no, I get you mb, I was more aiming at Kirby.

↑ Up to the top!