Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SCUBA .. anyone else
SCUBA .. anyone else
2008-03-29, 3:11 PM #1
Well Monday I start my first scuba lesson. It's something I've wanted to do for the past 10 years, but just never got around to it. Finally after driving past a store with "Scuba Lessons" sign on it for a couple weeks on the way to work I decide to stop by and sign up.

I know one other here does it (suggested for me to make this thread) anyone else?

I've watched the DVD over several times and read the book from the book packet already, trying to get much of a heads up as possible.
2008-03-29, 3:20 PM #2
something comething underwater breathing aperatus.

I win.
2008-03-29, 3:26 PM #3
Self Contained. ;)
Warhead[97]
2008-03-29, 3:29 PM #4
I'd love to learn how some time.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-03-29, 3:30 PM #5
Yea.
So like I'm totally getting a spear gun and going fishing. I've done it before without scuba but with scuba it would be so more awesome then holding my breath. My family has a place on a lake that apparently has a bunch of cool stuff on it. (Which sucks because the WWII era plane is at 300 feet.. way too deep..)
2008-03-29, 3:36 PM #6
I've been certified for open-water diving for almost 5 years. As soon as I have the time and money, I'm getting into technical diving. All I have to say is, when it comes to the emergency bail-out qualification, remember: breathing is more important than seeing. Put the regulator in your mouth first, then worry about your mask, I couldn't believe how many people didn't figure that out underwater.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-03-29, 3:44 PM #7
Scuba is great fun, I think you'll enjoy it. I got PADI certified in the Keys a couple years ago but haven't gone since. Pretty lame, but it's a for life certification.

But I think if I went again without getting a refresher, that might not mean much.
2008-03-29, 4:08 PM #8
Hmmm... I've gone scuba diving without certification down in Mexico three times now. It's a lot of fun, though I doubt I'm gonna have occasion to do it again any time soon.
2008-03-29, 4:10 PM #9
I did it once in a pool during the brief time that I was in the Scouts. It's something I'd like to try again, in an actual body of water.
2008-03-29, 4:13 PM #10
i wanna try it because being underwater is way more fun than being on the surface.

how come theres no swimming races that take place completely submerged.
2008-03-29, 4:43 PM #11
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
i wanna try it because being underwater is way more fun than being on the surface.

how come theres no swimming races that take place completely submerged.

Untapped market alert. Not only would they have to design more curvy (not aerodynamic but ___dynamic) tanks, but better fins and goggles and performance enhancing air mixtures.
2008-03-29, 4:44 PM #12
i had this idea for a sport.

each team has a speedboat, a water skiier and three jet skis.

the aim of the game is to run over the opposing teams jet skiier.

each team uses their jet skis to flank the opponents and try to wipe out the other teams jet skis.

bonus points if its the speedboat and not a jet ski that takes out the opposing water skiier.

even more points if the two skiiers have a brawl.
2008-03-29, 5:13 PM #13
Originally posted by herb:
Untapped market alert. Not only would they have to design more curvy (not aerodynamic but ___dynamic) tanks, but better fins and goggles and performance enhancing air mixtures.

Aquadynamic?
2008-03-29, 5:33 PM #14
Probably hydrodynamic... and the tank really is fairly hydrodynamic... .'/ has the same parabolic shape as a submarine prow, roughly :P.

SK, I've also been certified for around 5 years. Good decision, taking lessons, it's immensely rewarding.
2008-03-29, 5:49 PM #15
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
i had this idea for a bloodsport.

fixed for clarity
2008-03-30, 8:49 AM #16
the only sport
2008-03-30, 9:38 AM #17
I'll compete.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-30, 12:22 PM #18
My uncle recently got SCUBA certified for...40 ft I think. Upon talking with my uncle, if I had slapped on a tank and dove in the water, I would most certainly have died. Not as simple as it sounds.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-03-30, 1:32 PM #19
Aglar, well put.

↑ Up to the top!