Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My new program
My new program
2008-04-01, 8:49 AM #1
Hey guys I wrote a new program, it takes any app and compresses it using upx on binaries and 7-zip on archives used by the app to get the app size down to the smallest possible size. It's intended to compress apps for use on portable flash drives.

Here, try it out: AppCompactor 0.9.1

It's not 1.0 yet since I still need wizard graphics and a program icon.

Also in case you missed it the first time around, here's my screenshot program with FTP support (no I'm not going to add flickr/picasa/etc support, only thing I'd add would be SFTP/SCP/SSH if I can figure out how to do it in .NET). EasyScreenshot.NET 1.2.2

2008-04-01, 9:03 AM #2
I am not downloading that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-01, 9:16 AM #3
I'm with stupid ^
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-04-01, 9:19 AM #4
Suit yourselves. You're missing out.

2008-04-01, 9:21 AM #5
Yeah, I'm a bit worried too.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-04-01, 9:31 AM #6
The first link is 403 anyways.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-04-01, 9:40 AM #7
Whoops, forgot to set permissions. 403 fixed.

2008-04-01, 11:05 AM #8
I know he was working on this at least a couple of months ago, so it's probably legit.
2008-04-01, 11:32 AM #9
ooh, I like your screenshot program! I did miss that first time round! Nice :D

You need to make it support printscreen or at least allow key binding though.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2008-04-01, 12:22 PM #10
vb.net code looks so odd :|
2008-04-01, 6:59 PM #11
If you people are worried because of April 1st, then okay. If you are worried because you think MZZT, a long time member, is actually posting malicious code? :downswords:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-01, 7:16 PM #12
It's all about the 1st, baby.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-01, 8:28 PM #13
Anyone with basic common sense knows not to try to do anything serious on April 1st :p you always wait till the 2nd.

For example, I have some friends who announced they were breaking up... but do I believe it? no. I'll believe it if they're still broken up tomorrow.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-04-01, 9:02 PM #14
Originally posted by SG-fan:
Anyone with basic common sense knows not to try to do anything serious on April 1st :p you always wait till the 2nd.

For example, I have some friends who announced they were breaking up... but do I believe it? no. I'll believe it if they're still broken up tomorrow.

Gmail was announced on April 1st.
2008-04-01, 9:22 PM #15
Originally posted by Aglar:

G-mail also has custom time now!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-01, 9:25 PM #16
Alright, since this isn't an April fools prank I'm interested. I'm probably just being really slow, but what does the first program do? From what I understand, it's like winzip on steroids?
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-04-01, 9:39 PM #17
C'mon people, C#.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-01, 10:17 PM #18
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
C'mon people, C#.

.net reflector trap sprung
2008-04-02, 8:14 PM #19
Meh... maybe I'll use VB.NET for my next project. It's getting annoying having to port all the codeproject stuff I use from C# to VB anyways.

Known Issues in AppCompactor 0.9 (stuff I noticed):
- If AVG detects a virus in a file AppCompactor is backing up, AppCompactor crashes.
- AppCompactor crashes if it is unable to delete the back up folder.

Will be fixed: Helpful dialog displayed with instructions before skipping that item.

- AppCompactor does not lower the priority of UPX and 7z so other apps will be unresponsive when you use AppCompactor. Use Task Manager to lower the priority of AppCompactor to Below Normal as a workaround.

Will be fixed: UPX and 7z are launched in Below Priority mode regardless of AppCompactor's priority.

- Column names in the "Show details" view are ambiguous.

Will be fixed: Less ambiguity. [http://images.mzzt.net/smilies/emot-v.gif]

- Minor GUI thing that I'm not even going to mention, except it makes my fix list longer.

Will be fixed: YES.

- If a file or folder was removed between the time you selected it for compacting and the actual compacting, it would be marked "Done" instead of "Not Found".

Will be fixed: Continue For here, there, and there. Done!

Gotta test to be sure I didn't mess it up more.

[Edit: Download link now goes to 0.9.1]

2008-04-03, 12:04 AM #20
Originally posted by Aglar:

Hah, I wonder how many people thought it was google's joke of the year. It's not till the next day and they're still announcing it do people actually believe.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-04-03, 8:46 AM #21
Yeah this program was more or less in 0.9.0 state for about a week, and I was thinking about April 1st stuff to do and I figured I'd pull a fake trick. :)

↑ Up to the top!