Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Firefox master password.
Firefox master password.
2008-04-01, 9:55 PM #1
So I am growing weary of a certain person that I hang out with at certain hours of the day visiting certain obnoxious websites when I tell them not to.

As such, I want to require a password at firefox startup. That's all I want, to lockdown the program with a password. I can't find it in the settings and I can't find any extensions like that.

Does anyone know of something that would help me in this predicament?

Thank you ornaments of the green lands.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-01, 9:57 PM #2
Why don't you just require password on come back from screensaver?
2008-04-01, 9:59 PM #3
Thats entirely too easy. We need a much more complicated and difficult to implement plan.
Life is beautiful.
2008-04-01, 9:59 PM #4
Well I am cool with her playing games and such, but despite spybot and AVG (yes I'm cheap, go ahead, call me a Jew) she manages to get lots of **** on my computer.

I will probably do that if I can't find anything else.

No Rogue Leader got it actually.
2008-04-01, 10:12 PM #5
Lock your computer when you leave. Two keystrokes (Win+L) and you're golden.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-01, 10:14 PM #6
Have you tried just talking to them about it....?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-04-01, 10:21 PM #7
I don't want to lock the whole computer. Basically I am fine with them ****ing around with the rest of my notebook, the games and music software and stuff, but I don't want to clean up an internet mess everytime.

Originally posted by Gebohq:
Have you tried just talking to them about it....?

Yeah. If only that would work.:psyduck:
2008-04-01, 10:34 PM #8
Put the EXE in a passworded RAR archive and take it out when you use it?
2008-04-01, 10:50 PM #9
Originally posted by Spook:
I don't want to lock the whole computer. Basically I am fine with them ****ing around with the rest of my notebook, the games and music software and stuff, but I don't want to clean up an internet mess everytime.

Give them their own restricted user?
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-04-01, 11:26 PM #10
http://www.mediafire.com/?td9fbmye9ny

Totally ghetto. But that's usually what you get for free, homemade ghetto :neckbeard: .

password is: "clutter"

And I'm assuming your homepage is google, and the fox of fire is your default browser.

Just make the shortcut of Firefox redirect to this file.

You can just maybe use this until someone suggests something better. .(
2008-04-01, 11:28 PM #11
Why don't you disable the wireless card? (assuming you haven't got it plugged into the internet, in which case you could solve the problem even more easily) I mean, unless they're real computer savvy you could just go and disable radio or whatever and you're set.
2008-04-02, 1:00 AM #12
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;909943']Why don't you disable the wireless card? (assuming you haven't got it plugged into the internet, in which case you could solve the problem even more easily) I mean, unless they're real computer savvy you could just go and disable radio or whatever and you're set.

Because then we can't use MSN.

Thank you Sir Clutter, either that or some program I found that locks individual programs I should be set.

So helpful, this place.
2008-04-02, 1:09 AM #13
msn is for vinnys
2008-04-02, 1:15 AM #14
What about IE?
一个大西瓜
2008-04-02, 2:09 AM #15
I already posted a solution
Maybe worth looking at rather then saying everyones useless.
2008-04-02, 2:25 AM #16
Maybe you should read his posts instead of assuming he said everyones useless..
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-02, 2:28 AM #17
"So helpful, this place."
We all know what that meant.
2008-04-02, 2:47 AM #18
Apparently you don't. He said thank you, and then said "so helpful this place"
Didn't look like sarcasm to me
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-02, 3:07 AM #19
The solution is to set up a second reduced-privileges user account for her or enable the guest account.

If you're running XP Pro or Vista you can use the group policy editor and access control lists to, among other things, disable specific applications. This would be the Correct Way of doing things.
2008-04-02, 4:24 AM #20
Originally posted by Pommy:
What about IE?

Locking out FF still leaves IE open, and you can't nerf it entirely.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-04-02, 10:45 AM #21
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I already posted a solution
Maybe worth looking at rather then saying everyones useless.

Putting an exe in a passworded compressed archive isn't a solution, it might work for something that isn't used often(read: once or twice a month) and that's only if you didn't forget the password, but for something like an internet browser it's superfluous. It's more work than it's worth to extract the file every time you want to use it and then rearchive it when you're done.

As already said, a restricted user account would be the ideal solution, but the program posted by Clutter might do exactly what he needs.
2008-04-02, 10:55 AM #22
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The solution is to set up a second reduced-privileges user account for her or enable the guest account.

If you're running XP Pro or Vista you can use the group policy editor and access control lists to, among other things, disable specific applications. This would be the Correct Way of doing things.

This is what you want. You can deny her account access to use Firefox. Just putting her under a limited account will stop the malware issue. She'll be able to cock up her own account all she wants without touching anyone else's.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-02, 11:10 AM #23
Uhm... if I'm not mistaken, (if you are running XP Pro SP2 or Vista) isnt there a built in microcrap firewall that can block certain programs from using the internet? I know everytime I install a new game or messaging software i have to 'approve' it.... Can't you just block IE/FF from the net so that everything else is still useful?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-04-02, 11:29 AM #24
The Windows firewall doesn't block programs, it blocks ports from listening (also known as the proper way of doing things).
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-04-02, 11:58 AM #25
block port 80! :P
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-04-02, 12:08 PM #26
Jon`C took the words from my mouth. You'll want to make a separate limited account and then block access to the Firefox folder for that account. Which is easiest to do on Pro (on Home you need to boot into safe mode to access file and folder permissions OR you need the NT file and folder permissions shell extension addon which happens to work fine in XP Home.

Of course you can keep them from just visiting a specific list of websites with ANY browser by blocking the specific sites. This tool automates the process of editing the HOSTS file and should accomplish that nicely. If they're computer savvy you'll still have to create a second limited account to prevent tampering... IIRC limited accounts can't write to the Windows directory so HOSTS file shouldn't need special permissions.

I believe there are also pre-made HOSTS files out there for blocking ads, as well as various categories of websites which would probably meet your needs.

2008-04-02, 12:40 PM #27
Originally posted by NoESC:
block port 80! :P

This.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-04-02, 12:49 PM #28
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Locking out FF still leaves IE open, and you can't nerf it entirely.

That's what I mean.
一个大西瓜
2008-04-02, 12:55 PM #29
Limited account with group policies edited is the most proper solution, as Joncy said, but a program like the one suggested sounds like it will work too.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-04-02, 3:33 PM #30
Oh yeah... group policies might work, but I think even the latest Firefox 3 beta only supports a handful of group policies. You might not be able to stop them from using Firefox unless it happens to support the policy you need to use.

Not to mentiont here are other browsers besides IE and Firefox... of course if you don't have them installed it's less of an issue. :P

2008-04-02, 11:02 PM #31
Holy ****, I forgot about setting up another account. I have just had it start up to desktop for so long it slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me guys.

And TE, I sincerely apologize that my bits of data were taken in another manner than I intended them. I hope this has caused no distress to you.

↑ Up to the top!