Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → firefox 3 anyone?
firefox 3 anyone?
2008-04-02, 7:42 PM #1
anyone try it yet?
what do you think?
i think i'm going to install it tomorrow. i've heard some good things about it.
2008-04-02, 9:27 PM #2
I'd like it more if they'd retain the functionality of the old address bar. I haven't seen a way to turn it's stupid "URL search" thing off, and that's turned me off from using it so far.

Seriously. I like being able to type the first three letters of a site I frequent, pressing down once, and hitting enter. Their new address bar makes that impossible.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-04-02, 9:28 PM #3
I use it sometimes, I like it. None of the memory issues that I had with 2, but my extensions don't work for it yet.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-04-02, 9:29 PM #4
i like it, i haven't tried the newfangled version 5 yet, but i will be once i close this window and install it

edit: well that was unexpectedly quick

its shiny and they dropped the red close buttons on the tabs, thats what i've noticed in the 30 seconds i've had it open
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-02, 9:53 PM #5
My extensions don't work. :(

I'm not a big fan of the new address bar thing...it's using a bit less memory, but I have more RAM than Windows can use, so it's rather irrelevant..
woot!
2008-04-02, 10:47 PM #6
There's an extension to revert back to the old address bar.

There's also an extension to force all your old extensions to work. Assuming they aren't using any extension API that has changed, it should work fine.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-02, 10:49 PM #7
I really like the address bar. It's helped me find a site, even if I didnt know the URL. Also, if you frequent the site phoenix you CAN hit the first three letters and most likely get the site you're thinking of. I think its more handy than anything
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-04-02, 11:00 PM #8
I installed and then uninstalled it as soon as I figured out I couldn't put the tab bar at the bottom.
2008-04-03, 6:50 AM #9
Originally posted by mb:
I really like the address bar. It's helped me find a site, even if I didnt know the URL. Also, if you frequent the site phoenix you CAN hit the first three letters and most likely get the site you're thinking of. I think its more handy than anything

2008-04-03, 6:52 AM #10
I find the hugeness of the address bar, apart from that its fine because I don't think I have any extensions apart from longtitles.

Less memory usage is fun though.

Only other thing I properly don't like is the back/forward buttons.
nope.
2008-04-03, 7:58 AM #11
I'm going to get it once it goes live and my minimalist theme is released, and I can certainly have all of my plugins. These things might have already happened, but I haven't had time to check.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-03, 8:28 AM #12
Themes generally aren't there yet, but most all extensions either have dev builds with ff3 support, or can work with "check compatibility" turned off.

It's definitely an upgrade, and I highly recommend everyone pick it up if you have had reservations. Yes, it's a beta, but it's barely a beta. I've had LESS problems with FF3 than I have had with FF2, and it's so much faster. A+++ WOULD INSTALL AGAIN
2008-04-03, 8:43 AM #13
As Emon said, there's an extension, "oldbar", for the old Firefox 2 bar look and feel. It still uses the new Firefox 3 algorithm for populating the list though. Which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing. I like the new AwesomeBar too.

Most of my extensions work, and I have many. I used to keep the number down in Firefox 2 because they would slow Firefox down immensely, but with Firefox 3 I had to pile many many on to notice a start up speed slowdown and overall speed is still acceptably speedy, which is nice.

2008-04-03, 9:49 AM #14
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
I'd like it more if they'd retain the functionality of the old address bar. I haven't seen a way to turn it's stupid "URL search" thing off, and that's turned me off from using it so far.

Seriously. I like being able to type the first three letters of a site I frequent, pressing down once, and hitting enter. Their new address bar makes that impossible.

this **** right here what the hell is the thing trying to do and why is it annoying and how do i switch it off
2008-04-03, 7:25 PM #15
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I installed and then uninstalled it as soon as I figured out I couldn't put the tab bar at the bottom.

Tab Mix Plus?
might need to look around for the dev build for beta 5
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!

↑ Up to the top!