Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I've got Rebellion/Supremacy... and have no clue where to start...
So I've got Rebellion/Supremacy... and have no clue where to start...
2004-08-04, 12:54 AM #1
So does anyone know where I can find a really good guide? I don't care how long it is, I've got a lot of free time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-04, 6:09 AM #2
The best way is to just start playing... First step is to find out where all your manufacturing plants are (shipyards, construction yards, training facilities) and start building them up (you usually want to have a system dedicated to each, (ie 12 construction yards).

Also, you'll want to start sending your diplomats to nearby neutral systems (usually ones with the most resources). (If you're playing as the alliance, take advantage of Solo's cut-in-half travel time and send people with him from Yavin to, say the Sluis Van sector).

Next step is to get going on recruitment and research... If you're playing the Empire, recruitment is vital, so I will generally devote the Emperor to recruitment on Coruscant (this is good for several reasons, first you get more agents, second, every other agent gets a leadership boost since the Emperor remains on Coruscant, and third, the Emperor will be protected behind the rediculously unnecessary defenses you'll be setting up there *hint*). For the alliance, I'm not so adamant about recruitment... While it does need to be done, you're already starting with awesome agents, so it can be done in a more carefree matter. BUT DON'T FORGET TO RESEARCH! The alliance starts with crap for ships (and they don't really get better, either), but if you research ship design and facility design quickly, you'll be able to stay afloat (barely).

Also, depending on which side you're playing, you'll want to focus on different things. As the empire build *lots* of troops on systems, and lots of ships. The troops are to thwart guerilla-type missions (sabatauge, capture, etc..), and the ships should be used to start taking systems. As the alliance, you'll want to take full advantage of your agents. You start with some good ones (Solo, Chewbacca, Luke, etc...) You've got some really good diplomats (Leia, etc) so use that to full effect, and you've got agents with good combat/espeniage, (Solo, Chewbacca) so utilize that as well. (Nothing better when playing against a friend when Solo comes back having sabotauged a Super Star Destroyer.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] )...

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now... Hope that helps you get started... And feel free to email me some time... I'd love to set up a game... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] [... actually don't email me.. it doesn't work, but you can find me on MSN Messenger, passport is jsimon.eagle@sisna.com ]

------------------
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

[This message has been edited by Sarn_Cadrill (edited August 04, 2004).]

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-08-04, 6:45 AM #3
Rebellion is not your typical strategy game and requires much more patience than most games. That's probably why I haven't played it in so long. I take it Supremacy is an expansion?

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-04, 6:46 AM #4
Supremacy is what it's called in the UK, I believe... (or something like that)

------------------

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-08-04, 7:39 AM #5
Yeah they're one and the same game:

UK = Supremacy
USA = Rebellion

Obviously you Americans dunno what Supremacy means! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Just kidding.

------------------

2004-08-04, 7:47 AM #6
Or maybe they assumed that all americans would want to be rebels, while all the british people with their accents would want to play imperials :P
2004-08-04, 8:42 AM #7
I used to love that game. I would be up for a game some time if someone wants to play. I remember back in the day when I used to be able to find one or two people on the zone to play with...

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-04, 9:48 AM #8
In all seriousness, Rebellion was already the name of a game in the UK.
2004-08-04, 9:55 AM #9
I used to love to play that game online; too bad no one plays it anymore.

------------------
http://www.mounttantiss.tk
You could no more evade my wrath than you could your own shadow.
2004-08-04, 10:28 AM #10
You really need to read the manual for this game. And just let the space combat auto-resolve.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-04, 10:42 AM #11
I just remembered watching someone play the game as Imperials and finding it highly amusing when the Rebels captured the Emperor, GA Thrawn AND Vader (Thrawn or Vader might not have been captured) and it was NOT an automatic loss. I mean, come on, the Rebels caught the EMPEROR! I mean really...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-08-04, 11:39 AM #12
Ater getting hooked on FPS's a year or so ago, I can't go back to strategy games anymore. They all seem so slow and predictable. I can still play RPG's though.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
2004-08-04, 12:41 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
You really need to read the manual for this game. And just let the space combat auto-resolve.

</font>

Er, you're better off taking command for space combat. that way if something goes wrong you can either withdraw, and if you can't withdraw, you can target the gravity-well generator ship and then withdraw, instead of getting your entire fleet defeated.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-08-04, 1:04 PM #14
Rebellion is great, but the learning curve is huge.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-04, 1:52 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:
Er, you're better off taking command for space combat. that way if something goes wrong you can either withdraw, and if you can't withdraw, you can target the gravity-well generator ship and then withdraw, instead of getting your entire fleet defeated.

</font>

I disagree, Mr. Rock Guitarist, because if you have a bigger fleet, you win, and if you don't, you lose.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-04, 2:01 PM #16
Not always Tracer. I've had several Star Destroyers before get beat by a handful of frigates in auto-resolve. On the flip side, I've destroyed bigger taskforces with smaller tackforces before when I do the battles manually.

------------------
2004-08-04, 3:16 PM #17
Does Rebellion have IP games? It strikes me as being the kind of game that's mediocre against the computer but great against another person. Maybe I can find my CD so Kerian can PROVE IT TO ME ONLINE.

Okay, I found it. Anybody want to play? Gee 4ce? Sarn?

------------------

-MBeggar

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited August 04, 2004).]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-04, 3:48 PM #18
The computer has poor tactics. While it is attacking two or three of my ships(in a large battle), I just concentrate fire on the smallest ship they have and work my way up. It's a basic tactic used in every strategy and RPG game. It's a known fact that computer AI is crap in almost every game in existence and Rebellion is no exception. But the computer likes to cheat if you auto-resolve. "What!? One Mon Cal took out both my Imp Deuces? Bull****!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 3:48 PM #19
Can we place bets?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-04, 3:54 PM #20
You ignored the part where I was calling you out.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-04, 3:56 PM #21
i loved to save, auto-resolve, then see what happened

especially when i had my OMGHUGE fleets with multiple death stars

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-04, 5:47 PM #22
Come on, people. Who wants a round with old Tracer?

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-04, 6:31 PM #23
I'LL TAKE YOU ON! I just have to find my cd and put you in my appointments book.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-04, 6:40 PM #24
Quote:
You ignored the part where I was calling you out.

</font>

A) I know I suck at strategy games. A 12 year old newbie could whoop me.

B) We were talking about playing against the computer. Playing against humans and computers are two different experiences. Computers are stupid and predictable. Some humans aren't.

C) I never said I was better at you in anything. I was relating an experience that goes against yours. You said that as long as the players force is larger, auto-resolve is the best way to go and I said "I've got my *** whooped doing that before."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 7:31 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You really need to read the manual for this game. And just let the space combat auto-resolve.</font>
Yes to the manual, and NO to the auto-resolve... Seriously, if you've taken the time to learn the controls (which I do admit have a steep learning curve) you can win battles that you've got no business winning, simply because the computer has no grip on strategy... Besides which the real time battles are superfun if you are comfortable with the controls/ship tactics..

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I just remembered watching someone play the game as Imperials and finding it highly amusing when the Rebels captured the Emperor, GA Thrawn AND Vader (Thrawn or Vader might not have been captured) and it was NOT an automatic loss. I mean, come on, the Rebels caught the EMPEROR! I mean really...</font>
In the full game, in order to win, you must capture the Emperor, Vader, and control Coruscant in order to win. If you think about it, that actually makes sense, because if the Emperor was captured/killed, you know that Vader would take over, and if both of them were taken there'd always be contingents you'd be fighting against (read the books if you feel inclined to argue, there was always new factions of the Empire rising up).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I disagree, Mr. Rock Guitarist, because if you have a bigger fleet, you win, and if you don't, you lose.</font>
Again, no. I've won even when severely outnumbered... Also, when you're severely outnumbered, taking command and taking out their gravity well generator ship and then fleeing is a much better option than resigning your whole fleet to destruction, which is what happens if you auto-calc (at the very least, you can do a *lot* more damage to their fleet then the auto-calc will give you credit for...)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">especially when i had my OMGHUGE fleets with multiple death stars</font>
Except that you can't have more than one death star per fleet (unless perhaps you're using RebEd...)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's a known fact that computer AI is crap in almost every game in existence and Rebellion is no exception. But the computer likes to cheat if you auto-resolve. "What!? One Mon Cal took out both my Imp Deuces? Bull****!"</font>
I haven't found that to be the case. I find the computer's quite fair (though you'll have higer odds on higher difficulty levels). Perhaps you forgot to take into account that that Mon Cal cruiser had a full regiment of X wings, and your Imp Star 2's had not fighters?
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Okay, I found it. Anybody want to play? Gee 4ce? Sarn?</font>
Yes, definately... Put me on MSN if you don't have me already ( jsimon.eagle@sisna.com ) the only thing is my computer's in the shop right now (blew my mobo), so I won't be able to play for a couple weeks or so...
[tags... oiye]
------------------

[This message has been edited by Sarn_Cadrill (edited August 04, 2004).]

2004-08-04, 7:50 PM #26
I played that game for 9 hours strait one day... at the end I looked at my watch, realized I just wasted a whole day and only had half the galaxy under my control (I was trying to match my friends' old 9 Death Star Empire, whilst I only got to 5) and decided I wouldn't be wasting any more full days on it.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-08-04, 8:19 PM #27
Sarn, Schming (and anybody else up for a game), email me at cam.bond at gmail and we'll set something up (sorry, I don't have msn).

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-05, 9:04 AM #28
Yeah, I'll play too.

------------------
2004-08-05, 9:42 AM #29
I'm in th endgame of one as the Empire. I have a Deathstar, have Mon Mothma captured somewhere in the Corellian sector, and Luke on Coruscant. I have all planets explored and a fleet in every system, but they keep moving the base, or something, because it isn't anywhere. I'd take over their planets but they have shields preventing it, and too many troops to sabotage. I sabotaged away the troops on a couple of planets, but the others are holding strong.

I have so many fleets, and something like 10 Super Star Destroyers, while their last big fleet was annihilated. I just gotta find, and blockade that base planet, then send the death star to blow it up.

(I think I have a better chance when I do battles manually. For one thing you can maneuver, and develop a strategy you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Auto-decides usually leave me with destroyed ships even against smaller fleets. Auto-decide hasn't destroyed me like Natural Disasters, which somehow target the planets and utilities I need, evey single time, but I still prefer to do it manually.)

Also If you have an Admiral in the Fleet the ships respond faster to orders in manual, and a commander has squadrons react faster.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-08-05, 10:29 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Or maybe they assumed that all americans would want to be rebels, while all the british people with their accents would want to play imperials :P</font>

Excuse me! I'm ashamed of the British Empire at times too... (if that was the reference at any rate) no really, I am. If not well... yeah us Brits get all the cool stuff anyways! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

2004-08-05, 10:39 AM #31
Quote:

</font>

And that my friend is the trouble - I don't have a manual - obviously the kind folk who sold it to me at the car boot sale didn't have it. I've been playing though and I managed to capture Coruscant... then it all kinda went a bit mad, Luke got captured and I was like 'eh?'

------------------

2004-08-05, 10:40 AM #32
Quote:
Does Rebellion have IP games? It strikes me as being the kind of game that's mediocre against the computer but great against another person. Maybe I can find my CD so Kerian can PROVE IT TO ME ONLINE.

Okay, I found it. Anybody want to play? Gee 4ce? Sarn?

</font>

Yeah maybe sometime when I get vaguely good at it.

MSN: grahamrutland34@hotmail.com[/i]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gee_4ce (edited August 05, 2004).]

2004-08-05, 2:09 PM #33
Ok, cool. Maybe we could set up some kind of tutorial game where you could ask questions and I could explain stuff.

Yeah, I'm that desperate for an opponent...

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-05, 5:20 PM #34
I'm up for a game too, if anyone is interested. One warning, though. if one of us doesn't rusha dn win, you'll be in for a loooooooong game.

MSN: soccereagelsc<at>hotmail_dot_com
AIM: soccereaglesc, JCDenton42, Nobleoutlaw42 (don't ask)
IRC: well, NobleOutlaw, naturally [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-08-07, 4:27 AM #35
Yeah, I'll play too.

AIM: LTWinters211
Email: ltwinters211@hotmail.com

------------------

↑ Up to the top!