Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Girls and Boys
Girls and Boys
2008-04-08, 5:05 AM #1
My BF and I keep having a debate as to whether guys and girls can be friends without any strings or sexual tension between them.

This doesn't mean that either would act on their impulses and it doesn't even mean that both have sexual feelings for each other. Only one person needs to in order to make the friendship work.

Do y'all think girls and guys can be friends without any sort of tension or is it required for those relationships?
Mirthy

King James the 1st- “I will not give a turd for thy preaching”
2008-04-08, 5:15 AM #2
I'm friends with a girl that I have zero sexual tension with as far as I can tell so as long as you're not drawn to her/him sexually, I think it's possible.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-04-08, 5:17 AM #3
My two best friends are both girls. I only sleep with one of them.

<.<
>.>

:awesome:
2008-04-08, 5:21 AM #4
Yes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-04-08, 5:22 AM #5
Most of my friends are female. It's very possible as long as you're not attracted to them. But I've found that if you hang out with uggos, eventually they develop crushes on you. So I try to hang around hot girls. Of whom I want to sleep with all of them.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-04-08, 5:24 AM #6
Yes and No. Easy. Next.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-04-08, 5:32 AM #7
It requires some form of mutual antipathy. Fortunately the easiest way of developing that antipathy is familiarization.
2008-04-08, 5:56 AM #8
does wanting to **** them count as sexual tension or just normal?
2008-04-08, 6:07 AM #9
Without teh sex it's not worth teh risk of being near girlz cuz I might catch teh cooties.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-04-08, 6:42 AM #10
Yes, it's possible.
woot!
2008-04-08, 8:15 AM #11
Very easy, I think.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-08, 8:15 AM #12
Strictly and utterly impossible for any male who isn't chemically castrated.
:master::master::master:
2008-04-08, 8:19 AM #13
Or gay.
2008-04-08, 8:32 AM #14
same thing:mad:
:master::master::master:
2008-04-08, 8:54 AM #15
I have more guy friends then I have girl friends, but there is the usual complicated they-like-me thing that puts a bit of strain on the friendship. There is one guy friend I have though where I'm not attracted to him and he's not attracted to me....so it's possible, but I think it's all that common. Usually someone has attraction to someone, even if they can hide it well.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2008-04-08, 9:48 AM #16
It's possible, but there is some truth to the saying that guys and girls are friends because there is one in the pairing that wants more than friendship. Not in every case, but it happens.

One of my best friends is a girl. We've been close friends for over five years now, and there's nothing but friendship between us.
Pissed Off?
2008-04-08, 11:34 AM #17
Originally posted by Avenger:
It's possible, but there is some truth to the saying that guys and girls are friends because there is one in the pairing that wants more than friendship. Not in every case, but it happens.

You're right. But it's silly to think that guys with such attractions have nefarious purposes...it's just the way we're made.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-08, 11:44 AM #18
Honestly, as much as I'd love to say, "Yes its possible", from personal experience, no matter how much a friend (who is a girl) and I have insisted that we were just friends, one or the other always ended up with at least a minimum of non-friendship attraction with the other.

I have friends who we were perfectly fine as just friends, yet one night, with drinking involved, it went beyond that, there was a plentiness of sexuality involved and it never was the same again after.

So from various experiences over the years, I'd lean towards saying "Its possible, though extremely unlikely, and especially in the long run."

Unless the girl, or guy is homosexual.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-04-08, 11:47 AM #19
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-04-08, 11:50 AM #20
<3 When Harry Met Sally...
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2008-04-08, 2:39 PM #21
I met a girl while we were both in other relationships, and we became good friends. Then we both became single and have no attraction to each other. It does seem pretty unlikely though.

o.0
2008-04-08, 3:33 PM #22
It's possible. I'm horrible at it. In high school I had a lot of female friends, and at some point or other I had a crush on almost all of them. After high school I was with my girlfriend for 3.5 years, and during that time had friendships with a number of girls that I felt nothing for (mainly just because I was in a serious relationship). There are a few odd ones out that I'm not attracted to at all, but that's about the only time I've really felt -nothing- for a girl.

Now I'm in post-breakup mode and am generally attracted to almost everything.
2008-04-08, 3:52 PM #23
Most of these make sense, but then WOULD you sleep with your friends that are girls if they offered, no strings attached, no drama, all lust?
Mirthy

2008-04-08, 3:53 PM #24
No.
2008-04-08, 4:04 PM #25
According to my daily life.
Yes.

Also-
Quote:
Do y'all think girls and guys can be friends without any sort of tension or is it required for those relationships?

Quote:
Do y'all think

Quote:
y'all

Quote:
Y'ALL COME BACK NOW, Y'HEAR?
2008-04-08, 4:09 PM #26
:-P!!!!!!! There is nothing wrong with the term y'all! this is an informal setting, and i'll use all the slang i want. Y'hear? :-)
Mirthy

2008-04-08, 4:11 PM #27
Y'all is technically correct for a second person plural usage.
2008-04-08, 4:14 PM #28
Being friends with girls isn't hard, not when they're ugly that is.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-04-08, 4:16 PM #29
Originally posted by Anovis:
Y'all is technically correct for a second person plural usage.

:-D Thanks!
Mirthy

2008-04-08, 4:20 PM #30
Mirthy, to the question you just posed: Absolutely not. My best friend here at school is female, and I can't deny being attracted to her. I value the tension it puts into the relationship; it makes the friendship that much more intense. But I know for a fact I don't want to pursue anything romantic with her, since our personalities wouldn't work out at all.

Oh, wait... just pure, uncomplicated sex? I don't think it's possible.

TE, y'all can't tell me how to use my language.
2008-04-08, 5:08 PM #31
I have at least one girl friend whom is neither attracted to me nor am I attracted to her. We're just friends and we have been friends and nothing more for about four years.
Also she isn't fugly.
There...are...FOUR...lights!
2008-04-08, 5:34 PM #32
Do I have some biological directive that makes me want to screw everything that moves (or doesn't)? Yes.

But through the socialization process as a young (sexy) man, I learned to treat women as equals, not to objectify them, etc, etc. I have as many female friends as I do male friends, for me they're just people as any male would be.

I think a situation where such 'sexual tension' would only arise if the male asked out the girl, only to be shot down and relegated to 'friendsville'. The male expressed his attraction early, obviously with the intention of rocking her world, and then was beat on the nose like a dog and told 'NO! But, ya know, stick around." This would make things really weird, and create all kinds of weird energy around the whole relationship. If they start out as friends, there shouldn't be a problem.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-04-08, 6:20 PM #33
Originally posted by Mirthy:
Most of these make sense, but then WOULD you sleep with your friends that are girls if they offered, no strings attached, no drama, all lust?

Of course.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-04-08, 7:01 PM #34
Sure it's possible, you just have to date them first and then wait 6 months. :downswords:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-08, 7:36 PM #35
one of my best friend is a girl. her girlfriend is also a very good friend of mine. i guess that tells you why it's not problematic in the least for me.

and to be fair, they're great people.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-04-08, 8:10 PM #36
Originally posted by Mirthy:

Hah. There's this girl I was good friends with in high school. We almost dated back then but something happened and it didn't work out. We stayed friends after that, though.

Didn't talk to her much at all after high school, she went to university a few hours away and my long term girlfriend didn't really like me talking to girls I used to have feelings for. My girlfriend and I broke up and I started talking to this friend again (it had been about 3.5 years since high school ended). We really hit it off and eventually we slept together a few times. She didn't want a relationship. She had mentioned this (in a general way) when we started talking again, but I was kind of under the impression that she wanted to give it a go with me. Turns out, no, she just wanted sex, no relationship possibility at all.

It kind of sucked because she's pretty much perfect for me, and it'd be really nice to have some sort of stability. Now that it's clear that there will be no relationship, though, I'm fine with just having sex. I'm a guy, so obviously I'm not going to turn it down, and as long as the girl is cool with it too, why not? You just need to make the intentions very, very clear. If someone has the wrong idea, there will be problems.

[edit]Keep in mind it's not like we're close friends anymore, ever since we started talking again we pretty much just hung out a few times and then started having sex. I also don't see her unless I go on a trip to visit her, so maybe this isn't exactly what you're looking for. I do think it can work, though.

↑ Up to the top!