Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → yoda: cg or puppet?
yoda: cg or puppet?
2008-04-13, 6:22 PM #1
i just watched some of esb and thought i liked the puppet better than the cg yoda. it was obviously more real.
2008-04-13, 6:25 PM #2
cg yoda kicked so much ***
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-04-13, 6:25 PM #3
Given that "puppet Yoda" includes the ridiculous Yoda from the Jedi council scene in The Phantom Menace, I'm voting CG Yoda.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-04-13, 6:33 PM #4
while cg yoda had the ability to fight... puppet yoda is oldskool awesome
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-13, 6:46 PM #5
ESB and ROTJ were the only puppets from SW to hold any believability - meaning I could actually form an emotional attachment to the character in these movies. The others (despite being the Prequels) fell flat in Yoda's character.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-04-13, 6:59 PM #6
I disagree a little with TWOTP. Some of the puppets in RotJ were simply horrid. Like the droid that speaks to R2 and C3PO when they are brought into the droid-torture room in Jabba's palace. HORRID.

On the other hand, I've always liked puppet-yoda. And I thought that the Yoda in Ep3 was the best of the CG Yodas.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-04-13, 7:03 PM #7
I think he was just talking about Yoda, not puppets in SW in general.

2008-04-13, 7:14 PM #8
Half Puppet, half Yoda. Also, as we've talked about on this site before, puppets are more believable, have more depth and feel to them, and can ultimately create more human response out of the audience.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-13, 7:30 PM #9
I like the Yoda vs R2 fight the most...definitely puppet
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-13, 7:31 PM #10
Puppet.

While we're on the subject of changes, how does everyone feel about the changes that have been made to the original trilogy? The last time I had seen it was around when the special edition versions were released. Some of those changes were really lame (Greedo shooting first, the scream they added when Luke falls in Cloud City, etc).

But Yesterday I caught a bit of ESB and some of the stuff I saw really annoyed me. Dubbing over Boba Fett's lines with the guy who played Jango's voice was the main thing. Another one that bugs me (I've only seen screencaps of this one) is replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker.
2008-04-13, 7:59 PM #11
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
I think he was just talking about Yoda, not puppets in SW in general.

Aye.

As for additions in the SE, the ones in the DVD release are really slap-dash. Putting Ian McDiarmid in ESB as the Emperor hologram looked like something out of a fanfilm. I did, however, like how they opened up Cloud City.
2008-04-13, 8:03 PM #12
Originally posted by Aglar:
Puppet.

While we're on the subject of changes, how does everyone feel about the changes that have been made to the original trilogy? The last time I had seen it was around when the special edition versions were released. Some of those changes were really lame (Greedo shooting first, the scream they added when Luke falls in Cloud City, etc).

But Yesterday I caught a bit of ESB and some of the stuff I saw really annoyed me. Dubbing over Boba Fett's lines with the guy who played Jango's voice was the main thing. Another one that bugs me (I've only seen screencaps of this one) is replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker.

Those are horrible. The Boba voice over is so painful and poorly done. The ghost part doesn't even make sense, as Obiwan isn't young, and neither is Yoda. I understand the argument that it is his Jedi form, instead of his sith form, but I still think it's stupid.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-13, 8:05 PM #13
Yeah, and if it were his Jedi form then it'd still be old as he turned back to the light side by the end.
2008-04-13, 8:15 PM #14
Puppet. If the CG were done correctly you would have never noticed the difference, but that wasn't the case.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-13, 11:23 PM #15
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Given that "puppet Yoda" includes the ridiculous Yoda from the Jedi council scene in The Phantom Menace, I'm voting CG Yoda.

No it doesn't. Nobody counts that puppet. We just try to forget it exists.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-04-14, 12:52 AM #16
cg yoda was awesome, looked like the puppet only without the fakeness feeling to it.
Gotta love that fight scene especially.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-14, 12:56 AM #17
I have to say CG Yoda but as far as Yodas go I'd vote for Yoda from the Clone Wars cartoons.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-04-14, 5:04 AM #18
I vote for Yoda.
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!