Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → You must pay to legally own your artwork
You must pay to legally own your artwork
2008-04-13, 6:51 PM #1
Many apologies if this is has been through already, but I am intrigued to know what you all may think of it.

In a nutshell: If the Orphan Work bill is passed, all artists must then take all work they have and will create and pay a private commercial registry company to enter each piece of work into their database. Then, and only then will the work legally belong to the artist. Otherwise any entity can legally take the work, claim it is orphaned and therefore has no value, and can use it however they see fit without payment to its creator.

:suicide: :psyduck: :suicide:

Info page:
http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php?searchterm=00185

More info in rant-type form:
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=3605&page=1

Again, forgive if this has been and gone through.
2008-04-13, 6:54 PM #2
Well that would be utterly retarded and would suck more for dead artists.
nope.
2008-04-13, 7:12 PM #3
.( (quick, i must copyright this smiley!)
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-13, 7:15 PM #4
Copyright laws are so ****ing retarded.
2008-04-13, 7:25 PM #5
So are patent laws. Having an idea isn't enough. You have to pay to have an idea, too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-13, 7:36 PM #6
Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
2008-04-13, 7:42 PM #7
So how the **** do we oppose this ****?
D E A T H
2008-04-13, 7:44 PM #8
Originally posted by JediKirby:
So are patent laws. Having an idea isn't enough. You have to pay to have an idea, too.

You're paying for legal protection of the idea. Not to have the idea.
Pissed Off?
2008-04-13, 7:50 PM #9
Ah but are they different? Someone else can pay for legal protection of your idea, and then is it really still your idea now?

Maybe so, but a few lawsuits later (initiated by you or received by you) you'll realize it was cheaper just to get the patent.

</cynicism>

Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
So how the **** do we oppose this ****?

Wait until politicians or a big corporation suffers as a result of this bill and watch it quickly get revoked.

2008-04-13, 8:11 PM #10
Guys, don't get in a bunch.

It's been proposed and rejected a few times now.
2008-04-13, 8:23 PM #11
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Guys, don't get in a bunch.

It's been proposed and rejected a few times now.

It only has to pass once to become a law though :\

I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to oppose it before that should happen.
D E A T H
2008-04-13, 8:32 PM #12
What retard actually came up with this crap?
2008-04-13, 9:06 PM #13
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
What retard actually came up with this crap?

Dunno. We got a bunch to pick from on capitol hill.
2008-04-13, 9:40 PM #14
For those of you who are curious, here is the actual text of the original bill:

http://www.publicknowledge.org/pdf/ow-act-2006.pdf

(Note that this bill was shot down, as CM mentioned, and attempts to revive it in some form have resulted in some revisions. The general gist, however, is the same.)

Edit: Here's the referring page:

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/392

Also, just a note -- to say that the bill forces you to effectively "pay to legally own your artwork" is a bit misleading and also not entirely complete in conveying the circumstances and issues at hand. The fact that there is so much focus on the "pay for registration!" "aspect" of the the bill, coupled with the very prominent and supportable anti-corporate / money / greed sentiment, make it very easy for people to rally behind a cause for generally good reasons, but with a misinformed basis and somewhat skewed perspective.

This is what basically happened that caused the whole registration thing to come up:

- Bill says that liability to infringers are limited if infringers do a "reasonably diligent search" for the copyright holder of the work prior to using it.
- Well, that should be easy, because all copyrighted works have copyrights attached to them right? So it should be no problem finding the copyright holder.
- Err not exactly...
- Hmm, okay. Then how the hell do we define 'reasonably diligent'?
- I guess since there's no info on images' respective copyright holders, and our bill sort of relies on it, we need to find a way to get that info.
- So then, we'll make people attach their copyright info from now on.
- How are we going to do that?
- We'll make them register their work.

Obviously it wasn't as simple as that, but again, that's the general gist of the original reasoning behind the registration requirement.

Also, the original post stating that an infringer can basically use your **** without paying is somewhat misleading as well. The bill says that if (big if, considering that it would be hard to keep tabs on all of your work) the infringed comes forward, he or she can at least sue for reasonable compensation for the work (i.e. the amount the infringer would have paid had he/she bought the rights to use the work from the copyright holder). The point of the bill is basically to put limits on ADDITIONAL damages such as attorney's fees (ouch) and punitive damages.

There is a biiiig issue re: this last condition, however, which is explained here:

[quote=link above]Your image is pirated and put on the web. Someone sees it, likes it, and wants to use it. Since it is pirated they don't know who you are (and of course the meta-data has been stripped) so they can't try to reach you, so they can--potentially legally--go ahead and use the image without further compensation to you. If you take the trouble to track them down and sue them the most you can recover is what your initial license fee would have been. Hardly an incentive to try to find violators[/quote]

...which isn't fixed with the implementation of registries, since the registry might "**** up" according to the IPA link in the original post. Which sort of doesn't make sense to me.
一个大西瓜
2008-04-13, 9:44 PM #15
http://www.lp.org/
2008-04-13, 10:30 PM #16

What. You don't have to "pay" to "have an idea." You can do whatever you want with your idea.

It's bad enough certain patents are so general that it hurts progress in many fields. It would be worse when every whim or thought gets a free patent.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-13, 10:49 PM #17
Originally posted by Echoman:
What. You don't have to "pay" to "have an idea." You can do whatever you want with your idea.

Only if it's not patented.
2008-04-13, 11:08 PM #18
Nope, you can still do quite a few things with the idea, just not use it commercially. :P

Also, how does this database work. If I see a picture of a green dog smoking a joint and I want to use it, do I have to do a search in the database for "green dog AND joint"?

(Person searching for Van Gogh's "Starry Night"): "giant building with stars, nighttime"

(Person searching for Michaelangelo's Cistine Chapel ceiling): "naked dude and God almost touching fingers"
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-04-14, 6:58 AM #19
Originally posted by Aglar:
Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Me too, but I'm too damn lazy to do anything about it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-04-14, 7:34 AM #20
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Nope, you can still do quite a few things with the idea, just not use it commercially. :P

Also, how does this database work. If I see a picture of a green dog smoking a joint and I want to use it, do I have to do a search in the database for "green dog AND joint"?

(Person searching for Van Gogh's "Starry Night"): "giant building with stars, nighttime"

(Person searching for Michaelangelo's Cistine Chapel ceiling): "naked dude and God almost touching fingers"

if it werent for the very short max sig length, I would be so sigging you.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2008-04-14, 7:37 AM #21
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Only if it's not patented.

Did you just restate what said..?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-14, 2:33 PM #22
In the end, from as far as I can see, the current copyright laws work just fine, enforcement may need a little work, but the laws themselves seem to do the job competently. And albeit that it sucks for some company that wants to use a work from a dead artist who's 70 year after death copyright hasn't run out, creating a rampant free-for-all of everyone's work just doesn't seem like a proportional action to take.

And the idea of the registries is a hardcore :psyduck:
2008-04-14, 3:51 PM #23
i say Massassi should become a registry <.<
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-04-14, 4:25 PM #24
It is a registry . . . of souls.
Pissed Off?
2008-04-14, 4:28 PM #25
Originally posted by Clutter:
In the end, from as far as I can see, the current copyright laws work just fine, enforcement may need a little work, but the laws themselves seem to do the job competently. And albeit that it sucks for some company that wants to use a work from a dead artist who's 70 year after death copyright hasn't run out, creating a rampant free-for-all of everyone's work just doesn't seem like a proportional action to take.

You miss the concept of public domain.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-14, 5:35 PM #26
You miss the concept of public domain.

What do you mean exactly?
2008-04-14, 6:39 PM #27
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-14, 7:01 PM #28
Ok.